Atemi and movement

Posted by: Chris Caile

Atemi and movement - 08/13/00 12:57 PM

While many styles of aikido do not practice or emphasize the use of distracting or immobilizing strikes (atemi) as part of their technqiue, how important is this aspect?

Also, is the use of movement along with any atemi technique crtical to proper technique. Students with a karate or striking background who are practicing aikido often strike or kick while stationary and then respond with movement as part of a technique. Does this hesitation while striking sacrifce reflexive movement that is an important part of aikido principle?
Posted by: sevenatenine

Re: Atemi and movement - 03/23/01 03:21 PM

With the exaggerated attacks used in the dojo for aikido practice, the use of atemi is not as critical as the movement used to implement a technique. However, when outside the dojo, atemi is a critical part in successfully applying a technique to an attacker.
Example: how many attackers on the street will come in with shomein uchi or a tsuki? They won't. In order for them to respond in the manner that you'd like, the use of an atemi is essential.
Posted by: Chuck

Re: Atemi and movement - 04/04/01 02:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Caile:
...[snip]how important is (atemi)?[/QUOTE]
Historicallyvery important. Osensei used to teach (pre 1938) shomenuchi ikkyo with the person throwing initiating the technique:
[QUOTE]"Advance one step with your right foot while striking your opponents face with your right tegatana."[/QUOTE] Atemi is everything. Yang for the yin. Give and take. It's balance. It's about taking balance. With exceptions of course like when:
- practicing ki flowing techniques, for example, tai no henko
- it's expected
- it is disruptive (negates learning)

[QUOTE][snip]Does ... hesitation while striking sacrifce reflexive movement that is an important part of aikido principle? [/QUOTE]
Yes again! When that happensthe technique is static and this aikido is no longer an art, it ceases to be dynamic and is no longer creative.

We start out learning to let yourself be grabbed. Then later we move away from that. I'd like to think aikido practice is big enough to handle any lack of hesitation! I'd like to think so. Something I will consider..thank you Chris.

--Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck (edited 04-04-2001).]
Posted by: Erik

Re: Atemi and movement - 01/03/02 08:37 AM

I think Atemi is very important part of aikido and must be present in the technique and throughout the technique.

It's not just a fake at the beginning of a technique to startle the attacker and take him off balance, it is something that is present all the time and when shifting from aikido to aikijutsu or goshinjutsu (self-defense) can be utilized to hurt or kill the attacker at any time throughout the application of the technique.

This of course is my personal view point on atemi.
Posted by: shaolinboxer

Re: Atemi and movement - 01/24/02 09:20 AM

It is much easier to move someone after you hit them in the face.
Posted by: Catrona

Re: Atemi and movement - 03/26/02 05:06 PM

aikido should be practiced to be street-wise... so inside or outside the dojo, atemi is very imortant... at the same time, hesitation is very bad. one more basic concept that is key in aikido... it's not exaggerated. aikido is a very subtle art, if done correctly. so, heads up and waza down all!
Posted by: Cato

Re: Atemi and movement - 11/19/02 05:33 AM

I think atemi in aikido is as much part of the technique as, say, kuzushi is. The problems start once you take it out of the movement of the technique and make it a separate issue. Good aikido doesn't employ atemi and then a technique, it employs a technique that includes atemi in it's execution. That way the strike won't interupt the flow of the technique. For example, if I use a strike to my attackers solar plexus so that he doubles up it wouldn't be good aikido if I then tried to throw him with koshi nage. Using a strike that stops an attack so you can apply a technique simply isn't aikido.

Atemi should do no more than disrupt an attack, without altering its direction or force, thus leaving the attacker vulnerable to the redirection of his force. So, in my opinion, it is impossible to do aikido without also using atemi waza.

Budo
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Atemi and movement - 11/20/02 09:13 PM

I agree that atemi waza is very important in waza. And I especially agree with the post about O'Sensei waza before the war, it was hard, and alot of atemi waza. My question if all on this post agree to the importance of atemi waza, why isn't it being done. At the dojo I was at, when I included an atemi, I was told I wouldn't be promoted to Shodan if I didn't knock it off. So who is it that isn't adding the atemi. if we all are promoting it, I imagine the question has been presented to your Sensei's, so why isn't it being practiced?
Posted by: Cato

Re: Atemi and movement - 04/14/03 02:10 PM

A good question, Lou. And I'm not sure I have any answer to it. Perhaps martial arts are becoming less martial and more art as time goes by. Is this true of other arts as well?

Budo