Master Hogan's Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7t

Posted by: mcmillintkd

Master Hogan's Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7t - 03/20/12 04:08 PM

Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7th Degree Black Belt amazon There are not too many upper level TKD books. I just received this and have only one minor complaint. I find the diagrams just a bit small. Has anyone else picked this up? It does cover Kodang
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Master Hogan's Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7t - 03/21/12 07:09 AM

The one thing that annoys me with regards to TaeKwonDo patterns is that they don't have any valid applications to them!

I have spoken to many TKD instructors and have been advised that the patterns are there just to get through the grading!!!

In that case WHAT is the point of learning them?

Also the Sine Wave has been proven to be introduced by General Choi, to differenciate TKD from Japanese Karate!

I've adopted a WTF form, Koryo Poomsae, and at present I'm working thorugh it to see if there is a valid application, if I can't find one I'll bin it from my syllabus
Posted by: EFRAIN

Re: Master Hogan's Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7t - 03/23/12 09:52 AM

There are applications to most of the techniques in TKD patters. Look at it from a grappling point of view(Hapkido, Judo, Jiujitsu) then apply striking if need be. I had a similar issue and when I started to train in Judo and Jiujitsu all of a sudden my TKD forms made more sense than ever. smile

At least in my opinion smile

Bow out with respect from Martialist
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Master Hogan's Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7t - 03/23/12 04:15 PM

I agree Efrain. Stuart Anslows books show many applications of the patterns(ITF)for SD. Though I'm familiar with Koryo,Kum Gong & Tae Beck from WTF, alot of the techniques are the same and therefore the same ideas would work for their apps. To say that TKD patterns (again mostly ITF), would also have to apply to Shoto-kan as that is where TKD is rooted from and many of the patterns are simialr.

Re: Master Hogan's Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7t - 03/26/12 10:58 AM

From the responses I agree as I too think TKD is an excellent art, just sad that the Instructors I have spoken to only see the Tuls/Poomsae/forms as a means to pass the relevant gradings!

Still don't think the wave is a valid technique against any technique
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: Master Hogan's Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7t - 03/27/12 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Dobbersky
From the responses I agree as I too think TKD is an excellent art, just sad that the Instructors I have spoken to only see the Tuls/Poomsae/forms as a means to pass the relevant gradings!

Still don't think the wave is a valid technique against any technique

I hear you Dobbersky san. When I look back on my TKD days I wonder what the sine wave was for. It sure doesn't fill the bill it was sold as when I was training in TKD.

Mark
Posted by: mcmillintkd

Re: Master Hogan's Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7t - 04/01/12 01:31 AM

Upon review.. the Kodang in Master Hogan's book is actually Juche renamed. One can find the original Kodang in Mr. Anslow's 2nd volume.
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Master Hogan's Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7t - 04/07/12 12:05 PM

Also the Sine Wave has been proven to be introduced by General Choi, to differenciate TKD from Japanese Karate!

This is interesting. Can you please advise who & how it was proven?

Re: Master Hogan's Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7t - 04/08/12 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: ITFunity

This is interesting. Can you please advise who & how it was proven?

Would love to spend 1/2 hour to 1 hour searching through all the forums I am on and speaking to a few ITF instructors. The thing is the Sine Wave ISN'T as old as ITF, it was General Choi's invention and its not apparent in WTF. Also in Choi Kwang Do which is an off-shot of ITF from 1 of General Choi's most senior instructors, the Sine wave isn't there. I have spoken to many ITF instructors who don't see the point in the Sine Wave either!
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Master Hogan's Taekwon-Do Patterns: From 1st to 7t - 04/11/12 08:20 PM

Ok thanks.
Yes it is something that Gen. Choi added to his TKD. No doubt about that. There is little doubt to those that understand it more fully on how beneficial it is as applied to basic techniques in isolation so students understand the ToP. There is also little doubt that the critics are among those that are not as well versed in it.
That being said, Gen. Choi did design his TKD to be different from the karate roots from which it evolved from. I also think or feel that the evolution & progression of SW also had political overtones as well. But those are just feelings & have never been "proven" one way or the other. However speculation remains........

There is also little doubt that most if not all other TKD styles that came after ITF, original TKD, Chang Hon TKD or the military TKD (various names for the 1st TKD) also evolved away from the same karate roots differently as well. Koreans simply did not want to be doing anything Japanese nor did they want their national MA & national sport being associated with karate & the hated Japanese!