The Lethal Art of Taekwon-Do -new book

Posted by: mcmillintkd

The Lethal Art of Taekwon-Do -new book - 10/10/11 04:13 PM

The Lethal Art of Taekwon-Do amazon This came up as part of my Amazon recommends. I know a little about Master Nunez but nothing about the other authors. I was hoping that someone might have more information on this.
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: The Lethal Art of Taekwon-Do -new book - 10/11/11 10:26 AM

I have not taken TKD for over 15 years, but I remember Master Nunez. He ran a school in Odessa Texas that my school In Missouri used to travel to for Tournements, Instructors courses... There wasn't a finer instructor to be found in our organization.
Master Nunez was a boxer, kick-boxer,all-around fantastic fighter. If he has his name on this project it probably is worth getting for that reason alone.
I'm like you, I haven't ever heard about the other authors.Then again I've moved out of the TKD world into the traditional Karate world.
Although I no longer practice TKD I'm tempted to purchase this book anyway.

Mark
Posted by: VDJ

Re: The Lethal Art of Taekwon-Do -new book - 10/12/11 04:42 PM

Dr.Ron Shane is a regular contributor to TKD Times Magazine. He is also an ITF 6th Dan. Other than that I don't know much about him but know some folks who do. I would suggest that if Master Nunez worked with him on the project that would suggest that the good Dr. is no slouch either. I know there was a little snipet in the last issue of TKDT's. I don't subscribe to the magazine any nore as I felt they bacame quite a bit bias to ITF-NK but I do thumb thru it from time to time at the news stand when I see it on the shelf.

VDJ

Re: The Lethal Art of Taekwon-Do -new book - 10/12/11 05:33 PM

I ordered a copy of the book and I'll let you all know what I think of it.

Mark
Posted by: TeK9

Re: The Lethal Art of Taekwon-Do -new book - 10/14/11 02:43 AM

I stopped collecting WTF Taekwondo and Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do books nearly a decade ago. The material was redundant and there was nothing really new. The only thing evolving is the training for Olympic sparring and when your not big on competing that gets old real fast.

I've thought about getting an ITF book but when I got General Choi's TKD encyclopedia CD's I was very disappointed. The only book that seems remotely interesting is Stuart Anslow's book but I've long since given up on deciphering patterns.

Please let us know how the book turns out and if there is really any insight that makes it worth purchasing the book?
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: The Lethal Art of Taekwon-Do -new book - 10/14/11 11:00 AM

Master Nunez is top shelf. Dr. Shane I think has been described as an old school holistic martial artist. Many of his writings seem to emphasize these types of aspects.

Re: The Lethal Art of Taekwon-Do -new book - 10/25/11 10:38 AM

Well the book showed up and it did have some very good self-defense techniques with pictures and everything.That part of the book was fairly good but no new ground was broken.
Now the rest of the book seemed to be a "hooray for ITF TKD" seminar. I got the feeling that this book was in response to people bashing TKD, so they were gonna make themseves seem as tough as possible. I should have saved my money. Oh well, you live and learn.

Mark
Posted by: VDJ

Re: The Lethal Art of Taekwon-Do -new book - 10/28/11 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: gojuman59
Well the book showed up and it did have some very good self-defense techniques with pictures and everything.That part of the book was fairly good but no new ground was broken.
Now the rest of the book seemed to be a "hooray for ITF TKD" seminar. I got the feeling that this book was in response to people bashing TKD, so they were gonna make themseves seem as tough as possible. I should have saved my money. Oh well, you live and learn.

Mark

This could be said of just about every style that produces such a book. Atleast we all here can say "Hooray for all styles"

VDJ

Re: The Lethal Art of Taekwon-Do -new book - 10/29/11 08:56 AM

Good point.