Hapkido or Taekwondo?

Posted by: kick2011

Hapkido or Taekwondo? - 06/22/11 09:59 AM

I'm trying to decide whether to do Hapkido or Taekwondo. I have studied many things but I have studied Taekwondo the most. I'm switching classes and they offer either one. Should I try Hapkido or stick with Taekwondo?

Re: Hapkido or Taekwondo? - 06/22/11 05:03 PM

Having practiced TaeKwonDo in the past.I always wondered how training in Hapkido would be like. To me Hapkido contains a more rounded system of self-defense. The joint locks and throws combined with kicking looks tough.

keep training, Mark
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Hapkido or Taekwondo? - 07/25/11 05:25 PM

It really will depend on the Instructor(s). No matter what is being provided or may be well rounded, without a good Instructor learning could be impeded. Plus knowing what is being taught. There are many TKD schools that have a basis in Hapkido and teach this as TKD without differentiating it.

I would suggest trialing both to see what best fits you and then make your decision.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Hapkido or Taekwondo? - 07/26/11 11:23 AM

Definately go for Hapkido, even Sifu Bruce Lee described Hapkido as a complet art, it is even represented as one of his fights in the Game of Death via Hapkido Master Ji Han-Jae!!!

enjoy and let us know how your Hapkido is getting on
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: Hapkido or Taekwondo? - 07/29/11 03:30 PM

Hapkido... you know like Billy Jack!!!Then again,maybe not. Those were some baaaad!! movies.
What was the line. Oh yeah I remember it now.

"I'm gonna put this right foot up next to your right ear"
"Is that a fact"
"Yes and you know what"?
"What"
"There's nothing you can do about it"

At that time Billy Jack whips up a inside to outside crescent kick and knocks the redneck lawman on his butt.
The only scene I remember from the movie.Classic bad cinema.

keep training, Mark
Posted by: 47MartialMan

Re: Hapkido or Taekwondo? - 08/02/11 12:18 AM

I was fortunate enough to had a Korean teacher who taught both.

I say go for Hapkido if you want defense

TKD if you want more of a sport
Posted by: TaekwonDoFan

Re: Hapkido or Taekwondo? - 08/02/11 09:42 PM

Switch to Hapkido for a change - variety is the spice of life.

Re: Hapkido or Taekwondo? - 08/07/11 04:12 AM

Great!@!
Posted by: gojuman59

Re: Hapkido or Taekwondo? - 08/08/11 11:08 AM

Hey 47martialman I was just wondering. I have never seen any Kata for Hapkido.Do they have it?

Mark

Re: Hapkido or Taekwondo? - 08/16/11 12:53 AM

My Hapkido instructor never had it. Though his patterns of movement was explained in like a Kata-step form. Something like Japanese Kabuki
Posted by: Hapkid0ist

Re: Hapkido or Taekwondo? - 10/20/11 03:06 PM

Most Hapkido does not contain and Kata. In it's place we (personally) spar instead. This being said, some Hapkido instructors have put together their own kata and some have borrowed. Mostly though any kata you see will be in a TKD school that teaches a limited HKD ciriculum.