Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon

Posted by: StuartA

Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 05/03/10 10:48 AM

As many of you know this film has been in production for a while now (since 2004), but word has it that its due for a release this Autumn.

The film contains dozens of interviews with some of the most important people in both ITF and WTF Taekwon-do, as well as rare archive footage.

Originally it started as a single film, but the amount of material meant it has now been split into 2 seperate films, AND contains footage from the first American film crew ever allowed to film within North Korea.

The first of these is called "Tong-Il: Breaking Boards, Bricks and Borders", which is in its post-production phase. The film is about General Choi's life long dream to use Taekwon-do to unite his country, which Grandmaster Jung Woo Jin took over when he passed away. Grandmaster Jung hosted the North Korean team on a goodwill tour of the USA, enemy nations which held the 1st ever cultural exchange though Taekwon-do.

The films have a web site: www.TONG-ILmovie.com, where you can see the trailer, stills and info about the project. You can also register for email alerts to keep you updated on the films progress, including where to see it in your area.

They also have a facebook page where they update everyone on the films progress, this can be found at www.facebook.com/pages/LUV-FILMS/348634013157 - Im sure the producer (Luan Van Le) would value you joining this page, maybe giving is a 'thumbs up' (like it) to show your support for this project.

The info for this post has come from both George Vitale, who many of you will know from the pages of TotallyTKD magazine, for his indepth historical articles, as he has been heavily involved with these films, as well as the producer Luan Van Le.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 05/03/10 01:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up, always like good MA documentaries. This seems to be a trailer for the movie:

Posted by: TeK9

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 05/03/10 05:16 PM

I didn't know there where important people in Taekwondo. I thought TKD practitioners were just martial artist.

This documentary doesn't really seem to be about TKD it has more of an ulterior motive to me.

I can understand Korean politicians or even just plain Korean people trying to use TKD to try and form a common bond or bridge of peace between their torn nation. But in all honesty, I think they are making Taekwondo more than it's made out to be. I think they are grasping at straws.
Posted by: EarlWeiss

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 05/05/10 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: TeK9
I didn't know there where important people in Taekwondo. I thought TKD practitioners were just martial artist.

This documentary doesn't really seem to be about TKD it has more of an ulterior motive to me.

I can understand Korean politicians or even just plain Korean people trying to use TKD to try and form a common bond or bridge of peace between their torn nation. But in all honesty, I think they are making Taekwondo more than it's made out to be. I think they are grasping at straws.

Then, perhaps the movie will enlighten you. Perhaps not. Have you read "A Killing Art"?

There is no doubt there was a concerted government backed effort to spread TKD throughout the world. There are also theories as to why the government would put resources behind such an endeavor. Perhaps this movie will shed some light on these theories.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 05/05/10 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TeK9

Are there not "Important" people in most if not all martial arts? Now the REAL question is WHAT IS IT that makes them important to the art?

VDJ
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 05/12/10 12:35 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFQpOxHCMv8

This is the youtube link to the trailer

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 05/12/10 05:28 PM

Have to say. I've watched the trailer several times and each time I see it I get the feeling of propoganda in favor of NK. Don't think I'll be seeing this film.

VDJ
Posted by: TaekwonDoFan

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 05/12/10 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: VDJ
Have to say. I've watched the trailer several times and each time I see it I get the feeling of propoganda in favor of NK. Don't think I'll be seeing this film.

VDJ

Just about everything about TKD these days is propoganda and corruption.

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 06/03/10 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TaekwonDoFan
Have to say. I've watched the trailer several times and each time I see it I get the feeling of propoganda in favor of NK. Don't think I'll be seeing this film. VDJ
I am not clear as to why you come to this conclusion.
What exactly in the trailer do you think makes it pro-NK propaganda?

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 06/06/10 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ITFunity
Originally Posted By: TaekwonDoFan
Have to say. I've watched the trailer several times and each time I see it I get the feeling of propoganda in favor of NK. Don't think I'll be seeing this film. VDJ
I am not clear as to why you come to this conclusion.
What exactly in the trailer do you think makes it pro-NK propaganda?

Lets start with Professor Armstrong from the Hate U.S first Columbia University. At 1:30 into the trailer, where he states that the U.S. is responsable for the North % South Divide (I guess the communist Chinese had NOTHING to do with it). Academia has a LONNNNGGG track record of distorting and re-writing history to fit their agendas.

Next lets look at Karin J Lee @ 1:40 into the vid about the strong education system in NK and how its ideas of the US and how un eductaed we are about NK except for sporadic headlines that portray NK as aggressive. EXCUSE ME? Did they not thumb their nose at the US and the world and test a nuclear weapon? Did they NOT just sink a SK sub? Are their NOT millions of starving people in NK? Sorry, this is NOT about TKD, it is about gaining sympathy for NK. Is this not the same guy that took over TKDT's magazine and stopped taking ads from ITF-C and will only print things submitted by them but supports ITF-NK FULLY? No, I will not support this propoganda film with my money.

VDJ

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 08/28/10 12:16 PM

Ok I posted this in the film section, but then realized that the actual post came from this thread. The response below is taken from a newsletter sent out by the film maker. It addresses some points that were raised on the forum:
Lets start with Professor Armstrong from the Hate U.S first Columbia University. At 1:30 into the trailer, where he states that the U.S. is responsable for the North % South Divide (I guess the communist Chinese had NOTHING to do with it). Academia has a LONNNNGGG track record of distorting and re-writing history to fit their agendas.
Next lets look at Karin J Lee @ 1:40 into the vid about the strong education system in NK and how its ideas of the US and how un eductaed we are about NK except for sporadic headlines that portray NK as aggressive. EXCUSE ME? Did they not thumb their nose at the US and the world and test a nuclear weapon? Did they NOT just sink a SK sub? Are their NOT millions of starving people in NK? Sorry, this is NOT about TKD, it is about gaining sympathy for NK. Is this not the same guy that took over TKDT's magazine and stopped taking ads from ITF-C and will only print things submitted by them but supports ITF-NK FULLY? No, I will not support this propoganda film with my money. VDJ

I recently came across some criticism of the TONG-IL trailer in a martial arts forum and wanted to respond to it. I'm not a member of the forum so I couldn't respond directly, but I also wanted to share it with all of you. I feel that the poster of this message very much misinterpreted the trailer.
This is the original posting by "VDJ" that I copied and pasted here:
"Have to say. I've watched the trailer several times and each time I see it I get the feeling of propoganda in favor of NK. Don't think I'll be seeing this film.
Lets start with Professor Armstrong from the Hate U.S first Columbia University. At 1:30 into the trailer, where he states that the U.S. is responsable for the North/South Divide (I guess the communist Chinese had NOTHING to do with it). Academia has a LONNNNGGG track record of distorting and re-writing history to fit their agendas.
Next lets look at Karin J Lee @ 1:40 into the vid about the strong education system in NK and how its ideas of the US and how un eductaed we are about NK except for sporadic headlines that portray NK as aggressive. EXCUSE ME? Did they not thumb their nose at the US and the world and test a nuclear weapon? Did they NOT just sink a SK sub? Are their NOT millions of starving people in NK? Sorry, this is NOT about TKD, it is about gaining sympathy for NK. Is this not the same guy that took over TKDT's magazine and stopped taking ads from ITF-C and will only print things submitted by them but supports ITF-NK FULLY? No, I will not support this propoganda film with my money."

Okay, so here we go.

First, I and LUV Films are independent of all parties mentioned by VDJ. Obviously, the film showcases the 2007 TKD Goodwill Tour and the performances of the North Korean TKD team - and they are undeniably good at what they do - but North Korean propaganda it is not.

Secondly, Prof. Armstrong precisely states, "The U.S. is one of the two parties responsible..." One of the TWO. So VDJ has misquoted Dr. Armstrong. Only short soundbites can be edited into trailers but he will, in the film, go on to say that the Soviet Union is the other party responsible for the division of Korea at the end of the war (and not the Chinese) as I have stated in the film's synopsis. Many of you know Korean history so this is not new. Dr. Armstrong is one of the foremost scholars on Korean history and has been featured in numerous major media programs about North Korea, which is why he was chosen to present a historical backdrop in our documentary. Additionally, in my personal defense of Academia: I would say that it is not academics, but mostly politicians that "distort and re-write history to fit their agendas."

Thirdly, Karin Lee states that the "strong system of education in the DPRK develops mistrust of Americans." VDJ has again misconstrued the words that were spoken. What she is basically saying is that through our respective educations and media outlets, they know little of us and we know little of them. Most people in the West don't even know that there is a "North" and a "South" Korea. She is not making the statement that either the USA or DPRK's education system is superior to the other. She is only making the case that our perception of one another may be different if we knew more about each other.

As far as North Korea's governmental actions are concerned, I can't speak for them. I don't personally condone the actions of their government, but it's necessary to be sensitive to the fact that the overwhelming majority of the population do not have a role in making policy decisions nor can they enter into those roles or play a role in influencing their leaders. I don't believe that I am out to generate sympathy for North Korea with TONG-IL. One of the intents of the film is to promote the idea of peaceful diplomacy between two nations which do not have diplomatic relations. And in this specific story, it's about GM Jung and other martial artists' efforts to do this through TKD on a non-governmental level. The 2007 TKD Goodwill Tour was not organized just to showcase the physical feats of the North Korean team but to allow the largest group of young North Koreans possible to tour the USA and experience that which their education system and media do not show of the USA.

Whatever VDJ's personal opinions of what TKD is "about" or his sentiments towards GM Jung is VDJ's own. But I will say that I have a great respect for GM Jung in the context of his biography and as it relates to the story of TONG-IL. Politics is part of the fabric of everyday social life. If GM Jung wants to use TKD as a vehicle for something he believes is positive for everyone involved, then that is his right. I fully support his efforts and wouldn't be making this film if I didn't think his efforts were with good intentions. I believe engagement with North Korea is the sensible way forward, despite how difficult it may be. If TKD is helpful in that process of engagement on the people-to-people level, then more power to those martial artists who want to build a more peaceful world. TKD is not just about kicking and punching, although that is a fun and useful component of the practice - it can be a way of life and a path of moral development if one chooses. As I have stated in the Project Background found on the TONG-IL website, I am not a practitioner but have been intimately involved in the TKD world for six years since we began this filmmaking journey. From my observation, like other forms of art, it can be a useful communication and community engagement tool if the artist wants to use it for such purposes. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and just makes life richer.

The TONG-IL trailer, like any movie trailer, is edited to generate the most interest, emotion, and impact for the eventual film as possible. If it came off as utterly boring, then who would want to watch the film? So the fact that VDJ has responded emotionally is partially a good thing. But it's unfortunate that VDJ's emotions caused him/her to miss half of the content. Now if VDJ had stated, "Your documentary looks boring!" That would be fine with me and wouldn't warrant any further discussion. But when VDJ bases his/her lambasting on falsities, then it's necessary I point those things out so that other people are not unduly influenced.

If any of you have an opinion, whether you agree or disagree, shoot an email. But if you do, please keep it civil! Thanks for your time, have a great day!
Luan"
Facebook Page: www.Facebook.com/LUVFilms
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFQpOxHCMv8
Legacy Unity Vision Films, LLC
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 08/31/10 01:04 PM

With only watching the video clip, it does appear very political orientated. And regardless of what "Luan" wrote in response to VDJ's comments, again based on a mere clip, I find it nothing more then providing their interpretation. We each will have our own and in VDJ's, and mine, I find it very politically driven.

I also would not spend any monies to see this.

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 08/31/10 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Dereck
With only watching the video clip, it does appear very political orientated. And regardless of what "Luan" wrote in response to VDJ's comments, again based on a mere clip, I find it nothing more then providing their interpretation. We each will have our own and in VDJ's, and mine, I find it very politically driven.

I also would not spend any monies to see this.

Guess I'm not the only one. Trailers are meant to be a vessel to form an opinion on whether or not to go see a film. As Dereck's post supports what I have posted. Now w/o getting into a huge debate, Academia is far more responsible for re-writing history than politicians do. They are the ones who author the books then demand to their students use those books in their classes, not politicians (not saying there is no influence from politicians, but more so from professors). I trust them less than I do the politicians. Politicians who govern against the will of the people can be voted out, professors get tenure and are protected and spread their agenda w/o reproach. I do not believe that I posted "Falsities" and that if you were to have a conversation with the 2 contributors mentioned above, Prof. Armstrong & Karin Lee, I would bet a dollar to donuts that you would find them sympathetic to the NK Gov't. I guess I touched a nerve here, but this is what I get from the trailer and I stand by it. I am not telling ANYBODY NOT to see it! I am saying that I will not spend MY money on it for the reasons I posted!

VDJ

Re: Taekwon-Do Movie Due Out Soon - 06/08/11 01:59 AM

Ok I see that the north Korean national team is coming back tomthe States to go on anotherngoodwill tour to Boston, NYC & the Philadelphia area in south Jerset

www.usnktkd.com