Easy question- I think

Posted by: underdog

Easy question- I think - 09/18/09 05:45 PM

My first study in martial arts was TKD. I stopped for medical reasons and when I resumed, I studied a different style eventually getting to 2nd Dan. I have a question about my TKD that I don't have an explanation for. I got as far as blue belt if that will help anyone figure out the answer I want. When we punched and we were going to retract the punching hand, we were always instructed to "stir the pot" This meant the extended punching arm moved first across the center line and then back to the hip chamber in a diagonal. The only explanation I can think of for this is that it must represent a cross grab. I'm guessing because this is not an automatic move in my current style. When we retract the punching hand, it comes straight back to the hip chamber. It is just one of those silly burning questions that still makes me curious after all these years. Why did we "stir the pot"?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Easy question- I think - 09/18/09 06:26 PM

Never heard of that in all the years I trained TKD. Was this specific to a certain style of TKD?

Our punching was that similar to a boxers with the exception when doing punching from the horse stance. But even then as one arm punches to the solarplex the other retracted to the hip, no crossing. The only thing that had any other movement was the twisting of the hand from the hip to the solarplex so you were striking with your first two knuckles.
Posted by: EarlWeiss

Re: Easy question- I think - 09/21/09 05:36 PM

Never heard of this.

My suggestion: Chalk it up to some nutty instructor and

FAGETTABOUTIT
Posted by: Sweaty Dobok

Re: Easy question- I think - 03/08/11 10:28 AM

Hey yes we use this in my TAGB club and yes it certainly does have a use. By 'stirring the pot' as you put it, this encourages your hips to twist into the move thus giving the following punch much more 'snap' as your fluidity develops. Trust me it works though I hope my explanation makes sense.
Posted by: Matakiant

Re: Easy question- I think - 03/11/11 10:08 AM

I'm not too sure but I guess it is as with most ''strange'' things martial artists are told to do by their Senseis in the beginner phases of their training - helps develop muscles, movement through exaggeration.
Posted by: 47MartialMan

Re: Easy question- I think - 04/04/11 12:44 AM

"Stir the pot" doesn't sound like TKD instruction, it sounds more like Quan Fa/Gung Fu instruction