2nd Dan Grading

Posted by: StuartA

2nd Dan Grading - 10/07/08 08:57 AM

This is a video reel of one of my students who took his 2nd degree grading recently.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D0TRnW_sEQM

Enjoy,

Stuart

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 10/26/08 02:10 PM

Just uploaded a revised video of this grading, including the X-ray!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SPkl0E7yaVw

Stuart
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 10/26/08 07:00 PM

ouchie
Posted by: MattJ

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 10/26/08 07:56 PM

Very nice, Stuart. I like the wide range of sparring and SD stuff you guys do. Hope the guy's foot is OK. I have broken many a bone myself!

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 10/27/08 05:37 PM

it happens to the best of em. i've only had 3 broken bones so far (that have been confirmed medically, that is).

-TKD_X
Posted by: BrianS

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 10/30/08 03:21 AM

I can't say I'm impressed.

I didn't like the "self defense" portion at all. Not just the lack of realism,but the overall cheesy techniques in general.

Was he doing sine wave? Could see alot of room for improvement on the pattern performance as well.

How long has this guy been training?

I'm not flaming, just being honest. I'd give him a "high green".

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 10/30/08 07:52 AM

Quote:

I can't say I'm impressed.

Quote:

I didn't like the "self defense" portion at all. Not just the lack of realism,but the overall cheesy techniques in general.

If you say so.. though which portion are you refering too.. the clip doesnt have portions, as its all mixed in togethor (one step, sparring, SD and all the rest)!!

Quote:

Was he doing sine wave? Could see alot of room for improvement on the pattern performance as well.

Not the newer version of the sine wave no. His patterns were performed witha broken bone, so Id say he did pretty well consider, though obviously this would affect them somewhat.

Quote:

How long has this guy been training?

Long enough to warrent going for 2nd dan

Quote:

I'm not flaming, just being honest. I'd give him a "high green".

LOL.. if you say so. Feel free to show videos of your gradings so we can compare and reflect!

Stuart

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 10/30/08 07:54 AM

Quote:

Very nice, Stuart. I like the wide range of sparring and SD stuff you guys do. Hope the guy's foot is OK. I have broken many a bone myself!

Its on the mend. Thanks.

Glad you liked the vid.

Regards,

Stuart

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 10/31/08 03:22 AM

Quote:

If you say so.. though which portion are you refering too.. the clip doesnt have portions, as its all mixed in togethor (one step, sparring, SD and all the rest)!!

Ok, the self defense 'parts'. Didn't like them and they were awful.

Quote:

Not the newer version of the sine wave no. His patterns were performed witha broken bone, so Id say he did pretty well consider, though obviously this would affect them somewhat.

There are more versions? Oh, snap, tkd is on more trouble than I thought.

What did he break? His toe? Big deal. tape it together and move on. What good is an X-ray and all the bills if they are going to just tape it?

Quote:

Long enough to warrent going for 2nd dan

That's about as clear as mud. Although I expect it from an art who's main concern is chasing belts and the next rank. He should be ready for 3rd dan next year.

Quote:

LOL.. if you say so. Feel free to show videos of your gradings so we can compare and reflect!

I've never graded mine or my students 'testings'. I don't much believe in testings anyway. It's just a moneymaking scheme. Besides, I wouldn't know which cool song to play.

How much did he pay for his 2nd dan? $100? $200? More?

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 10/31/08 05:46 AM

Quote:

Ok, the self defense 'parts'. Didn't like them and they were awful.

Each to his own I guess.. although I am wondering just what video your watching as most would agree they are actually pretty decent.. still, I guess you cant please everyone.

Quote:

What did he break? His toe? Big deal. tape it together and move on. What good is an X-ray and all the bills if they are going to just tape it?

Oh what a hero you are! Besides, it was X-rayed the next day, so no-one knew it was broken.. and he did just get on with it.. no tape either! And no bills, it was done on the NHS!

Quote:

That's about as clear as mud. Although I expect it from an art who's main concern is chasing belts and the next rank. He should be ready for 3rd dan next year.

Ah! You have a beef with the art (me too ).. okay, just for you... he traned 6 years to his 1st degree and a further 2 years for his second, though I suppose thats not long enough for you!

Quote:

I've never graded mine or my students 'testings'

So nothing to show then.. figures!

Quote:

I don't much believe in testings anyway.

Heard that before.. theres pro's and con's to that too, just like formal gradings. I take it you judge when your students are ready to move up then.. or dont you believe in having ranks either? How many classes do they have to attend before their next rank then!

Quote:

It's just a moneymaking scheme.

True for McDojangs.. but not for all dojangs. Others make money by charging high fees, not doing gradings so no one ever fails and thus retain them longer to pay more high fees!

Quote:

Besides, I wouldn't know which cool song to play.

Well, we cant all be into cool music.. dont worry, no one would ever hold it against you

Quote:

How much did he pay for his 2nd dan? $100? $200? More?

Enough to cover the hall for a solo grading for 3 hours & travel expenses of the outside examiners. The grading had 5 examiners + 3 others BBs to help test him traveled down. NO ONE made any money that day.. in fact I lost money, as I usually do by hosting small, intensive gradings.

Stuart

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 10/31/08 06:44 AM

Quote:

Each to his own I guess.. although I am wondering just what video your watching as most would agree they are actually pretty decent.. still, I guess you cant please everyone.

Decent, yes, but not decent enough for 2nd dan imo. We all have our standards. I guess if you have alot of high ranks, they see 2nd dan as a low rank, so I see the difference there.

Quote:

Oh what a hero you are! Besides, it was X-rayed the next day, so no-one knew it was broken.. and he did just get on with it.. no tape either! And no bills, it was done on the NHS!

Thankyou! Not heroics, just common sense. Unless I can see a bone protruding or major deformation, then a broke toe is not a big deal imo. Painful and irritating. I broke my right ring finger and two ribs during a sparring session once. Got an X-ray on the ribs just to make sure they weren't poking anything they shouldn't be. They weren't and they just wrapped me up tight and gave me pain medication. I hope your guy's toe gets better soon.

Quote:

Ah! You have a beef with the art (me too ).. okay, just for you... he traned 6 years to his 1st degree and a further 2 years for his second, though I suppose thats not long enough for you!

That's a long time for TKD! Glad to see things being done better,but I still have to question it from seeing the footage. For some, it takes much more training and dedication to have good clean techniques. Then again, you may see 2nd dan as a generally low rank.

No beef in general with TKD. My issues are 2yr blackbelts, inflated ranks, poor techniques, the ATA on all counts, and just the way I see TKD trained.

Quote:

So nothing to show then.. figures!

What? you take issue with people who criticize performance,but don't record their own training? Sorry, maybe one day I'll have to record something just for you. I prefer to meet and train with people in person.

Quote:

Heard that before.. theres pro's and con's to that too, just like formal gradings. I take it you judge when your students are ready to move up then.. or dont you believe in having ranks either? How many classes do they have to attend before their next rank then!

We have four belts, no testing fees, and no monthly fees. Students are handpicked, we don't advertise or sell anything.
There is a general time in rank understanding,but most of the time it is extended.

Quote:

True for McDojangs.. but not for all dojangs. Others make money by charging high fees, not doing gradings so no one ever fails and thus retain them longer to pay more high fees!

Not if you don't charge or have a contract,which we don't. I do see your point and I'm not accusing you of being a mcdojo,yet!

Quote:

Well, we cant all be into cool music.. dont worry, no one would ever hold it against you

Just pointing out that the video seemed to be about looks more than substance.

Quote:

Enough to cover the hall for a solo grading for 3 hours & travel expenses of the outside examiners. The grading had 5 examiners + 3 others BBs to help test him traveled down. NO ONE made any money that day.. in fact I lost money, as I usually do by hosting small, intensive gradings.

Good to hear!

Quote:

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 10/31/08 07:10 AM

Quote:

Decent, yes, but not decent enough for 2nd dan imo.

Anyone can have an opinion.. doesnt make it correct.

Quote:

We all have our standards.

Again, anyone can "quote" standards.. the proof is in the pudding and with nothing to show, just saying something doesnt carry much substance with it. Not saying you have low/high standards.. just theres nothing to compare to. Personally, I think he done pretty well considering the break! Would of course done better if he wasnt limping through everything.. but there ya go!

Quote:

I guess if you have alot of high ranks, they see 2nd dan as a low rank, so I see the difference there.

You make a lot of assumptions dont you.. I only have 1 other 2nd dan and hes been training 15 years. And you?

Quote:

Thankyou! Not heroics, just common sense. Unless I can see a bone protruding or major deformation, then a broke toe is not a big deal imo.

I think medical people would disagree with you.. either way, no matter as he didnt moan about it and just got on with the rest of the grading.

Quote:

I broke my right ring finger and two ribs during a sparring session once. Got an X-ray on the ribs just to make sure they weren't poking anything they shouldn't be. They weren't and they just wrapped me up tight and gave me pain medication.

What!! You needed medication for the pain... Im shocked!

Quote:

I hope your guy's toe gets better soon.

It is thanks. Sensible training around injuries helps the process.

Quote:

That's a long time for TKD!

Again, in your opinion. Its the usual in my school. Of the few BBs we have, all took that time to get there and they are the hardcore students, who rarely miss a session and are very dedicated.

Quote:

Then again, you may see 2nd dan as a generally low rank.

Theres them assumptions again!! You do that an aweful lot you know!

Quote:

My issues are 2yr blackbelts, inflated ranks, poor techniques, the ATA on all counts, and just the way I see TKD trained.

Then you need to see the bigger picture.. as none of those apply to my schools and all decent schools have the same issues. The difference is we show people we do things different rather than just moaning about it!

Quote:

What? you take issue with people who criticize performance,but don't record their own training?

No, I take issue with those that act like an authority but are unwilling to show why they act that way! Anyone can write words ona forum.. if your so great.. show where your coming from!

Quote:

Sorry, maybe one day I'll have to record something just for you.

Dont do it just for me.. it doesnt affect anything I do. Ive seen loads of good Goju and some pretty poor stuff, I doubt yours will not fall into one of those categories. Just incase your assuming different, we film the BB gradings in case they are ever called into question, because we have a film of it, if we ever need to account for what they did to get there grade, its all there on video. I come from a back ground where TKD dan gradings were a closed shop.. no one ever got to see what goes on and this is one of the reasons why TKD has poor BBs, as theres no accountability.

Quote:

I prefer to meet and train with people in person.

Funnily enough, I do that too.. quite a lot in fact! Why does that mean you cant put something on video.. not everyone can travel the world to train with you, despite your obvious greatness

Quote:

We have four belts, no testing fees, and no monthly fees. Students are handpicked, we don't advertise or sell anything.

So I take it you have no hall costs to cover... nice if you can get it!

Quote:

There is a general time in rank understanding,but most of the time it is extended.

Who decides if its extended?

Quote:

Not if you don't charge or have a contract,which we don't.

We dont have contracts either.. we charge fees as the hallw e use charges us!

Quote:

I do see your point and I'm not accusing you of being a mcdojo,yet!

Nor am I acussing ou of being a Mcdojo either (BTW, its McDojang for Korean art schools)

Quote:

Just pointing out that the video seemed to be about looks more than substance.

The substance is there, you just choose not to see it, besides, a 3 hour grading put into a 3 minute clip cannot show everything. But it is also about looks, to show other TKD folk that there are hard, in-depth gradings about and its not all £XXX and 10 minutes of poor patterns. As well as the accountability factor I mention above.

Stuart

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/03/08 01:29 AM

Quote:

Anyone can have an opinion.. doesnt make it correct.

Apparently, if someone doesn't agree with you then they are not correct.

Done with this pointless thread. I was just adding my .02 about the grading from the video. You don't agree with it,so alrighty!

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/03/08 07:19 AM

Quote:

Apparently, if someone doesn't agree with you then they are not correct.

Please don't twist what I said.. I said "Anyone can have an opinion.. doesnt make it correct"- which is true .. it seems you are the one who feels that no one is allowed to disagree with you, not I!

Quote:

Done with this pointless thread.

Good. It will allow you time to get on with your other pointless thread!

Quote:

I was just adding my .02 about the grading from the video. You don't agree with it,so alrighty!

Well, Im glad thats cleared up.. alrighty then, on to other things

Stuart

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/04/08 03:10 AM

Stuart,

I merely stated my opinion about your youtube 2nd dan grading video. When you post a video it is up for criticism. I saw alot of things lacking in the video like good form,realistic applications, good sparring, etc...

I'm not going to go back and forth trying to 1-up you. It's just my opinion. Don't like it? Tough cookies, train better.

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/04/08 05:57 AM

Sorry, thought you said you were finished on this thread.. oh well..
Quote:

Stuart, I merely stated my opinion about your youtube 2nd dan grading video. When you post a video it is up for criticism. I saw alot of things lacking in the video like good form,realistic applications, good sparring, etc...

I know you did.. I (and others) disagree.. that is allowed isnt it?

Quote:

I'm not going to go back and forth trying to 1-up you.

Then stop posting

Quote:

It's just my opinion.

I know, we have gone through that, what an opinion means etc etc.. its just an opinion, not fact.

Quote:

Don't like it? Tough cookies, train better.

I dont like or dislike your opinion, I just dont happen to agree with you.. anyone can tap away at a keyboard.. put soem fo your stuff up to re-enforce your opinions and give them at least a decent base!

Stuart

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/05/08 03:09 AM

Good grief man. Are you saying that a person putting up a video is only open to criticism by others who post videos?

You obviously don't know what good technique is, good self defense is, or good form looks like, so there is no point.

Look at the self defense your guy does. Are you calling that good self defense? Are you claiming that you would try that against a person weilding a knife?
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/05/08 04:11 AM

Quote:

Good grief man. Are you saying that a person putting up a video is only open to criticism by others who post videos?

You obviously don't know what good technique is, good self defense is, or good form looks like, so there is no point.

Look at the self defense your guy does. Are you calling that good self defense? Are you claiming that you would try that against a person wielding a knife?

WITH RESPECT....

I have seen the Video, read the initial post and the following spats.

I fully agree with Brian.
The Self Defense was very clunky and even got to a down-right-suicidal level.

FFS that is not how you deal with people wielding knives!
I can only PRAY that anyone watching those techniques does NOT PRACTICE THEM!!

"Knives don't kill people...... Teaching Self Defense like this kills people"

==========================================
Edited this post as I initially thought I may have come accross a little harsh:

So I watched the Videos again....

Very good Stuart..
You had me going there!
I really did bite.
I thought you were serious there. Nice one!
These techniques come right out of the Movie "Kung Pow"

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/05/08 05:34 AM

Quote:

Are you saying that a person putting up a video is only open to criticism by others who post videos?

Not at all, I was offering you the chance to add substance to your criticism, after all, anyone can tap away at a keyboard with no basis for what they say what so ever. As you seem quite forth-right in your opinion, needing to press it over and over again, I thought it would be good to add a basis for your comments & where you come from, which in turn re-enforces your posts.

Quote:

LOL.. if you say so.

Quote:

Look at the self defense your guy does. Are you calling that good self defense?

Its decent enough considering where, when and under what circumsances it was done - yes.

Quote:

Are you claiming that you would try that against a person weilding a knife?

As all the examiners (one of which was a soldier) all felt the same, again, Id have to say yes. As many of the techniques we use were taught to me by a US LEO (who specializes in teaching weapons defences) and UK military unarmed combat instructor, Id have to say yes and most importantly, having actually defended against knife attacks in the real world (on more than one occassion) I'd have to say yes!

Stuart

Ps. Griffygriff.. opinion noted. Thanks for posting, I giggled so much I almost choked on my cornflakes

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/05/08 05:55 AM

Quote:

As all the examiners (one of which was a soldier) all felt the same, again, Id have to say yes. As many of the techniques we use were taught to me by a US LEO (who specializes in teaching weapons defences) and UK military unarmed combat instructor, Id have to say yes and most importantly, having actually defended against knife attacks in the real world (on more than one occassion) I'd have to say yes!

I was a soldier for 9yrs. I also work with LEO on a regular basis. My primary instructor right now is a police officer, a guy testing for his blackbelt soon is also a police officer. My instructor's brother was a LEO Sgt., but now works for the FBI, big whoopty doo. All of us can attest that techniques taught by the military and police can be the worst techniques to actually try in a real situation. (Rob showed us some good stuff the FBI is teaching though, and they are good.)

The police academy showed them some good ways "to get hurt". I'm not saying they had nothing useful,but their training is outdated imo which is why LEO should seek outside training and stay in shape above all.

The combat applications I was taught in the military were laughable. Especially since I was in a combat unit.

So, the military/LEO card doesn't hold much water.

BTW, I'm not sure if anyone is going to video the upcoming shodan test. If they do I'll try to get ahold of some of the footage. I myself do not have a camcorder.

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/05/08 06:40 AM

Quote:

So, the military/LEO card doesn't hold much water.

Not any sort of card, you asked a question, I replied and furhered added some validation from those that work in that field - all of which their contact details I could supply if required (which obviously its not). Still, even without that, my last sentence is the main thing anyway - you asked "would I try them for real2 - I replied yes.. because I already have done!

Quote:

BTW, I'm not sure if anyone is going to video the upcoming shodan test. If they do I'll try to get ahold of some of the footage. I myself do not have a camcorder.

Look forward to it.. though why wait and see, why not ensure someone does film it! Not that I'd probibly pass judgement on it, as Im not into acting like that (picking out faults etc.), but would be interested to see it none the less.

Stuart
Posted by: mangoman

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/05/08 11:04 AM

Bottom line, you post a video online, expect to get good and bad reviews from the extremist nut jobs on both sides. Very rarely will someone post a response to a thread like this to say that your video was an average or decent performance. 95 times out of 100 you will get "That sucked" or "That was the greatest thing ever".

If the video you posted (and I have not watched it for the record) is representative of a passing grade then why respond further to the nut job that wants to bring it down. Just say "thanks for your opinion" and move on.

By falling into his trap, you make yourself seem like just as big of a nut case as the guy you are arguing with.

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/05/08 05:08 PM

Quote:

Bottom line, you post a video online, expect to get good and bad reviews from the extremist nut jobs on both sides. Very rarely will someone post a response to a thread like this to say that your video was an average or decent performance. 95 times out of 100 you will get "That sucked" or "That was the greatest thing ever".

If the video you posted (and I have not watched it for the record) is representative of a passing grade then why respond further to the nut job that wants to bring it down. Just say "thanks for your opinion" and move on.

By falling into his trap, you make yourself seem like just as big of a nut case as the guy you are arguing with.

I know I know... just having fun

Stuart
Posted by: flynch

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/05/08 09:20 PM

Just don't worry about it and keep posting the stuff it is interesting to watch.

If people make a comment then ask yourself if it truly has merrit. If so make adjustments accordingly for the betterment of your program if it does not have merrit then ignore it and move forward.

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/05/08 09:47 PM

gosh mr. anslow, your school is so unrealistic. at my school when we do self-defense, we aim to maim. that's why no one makes it past yellow belt.

-TKD_X

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/06/08 03:01 AM

As long as you tkd types stick together, everything will be ok. Don't let anyone make criticisms. If they do then write them off as a nut job.

Posted by: trevek

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/06/08 07:55 AM

He gives up...
Ha! In TKD we have "indominable spirit!".

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/06/08 08:41 AM

Quote:

He gives up...
Ha! In TKD we have "indominable spirit!".

We? As I recall, you don't do anything bro.

However, I do give up in a sense. After rereading my comments I think I was less than constructive in my criticism and would like to publically apologize to StuartA.

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/06/08 11:14 AM

Hey... graded BB after 10 years and am now fat and unfit. That gives me the qualifications to open a whole chain of Mcdojangs

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/08/08 02:34 AM

You can also stand at the front of a class of 5 and 6 year olds wearing those posh heavy cotton doboks that are more like a pair of warm pjs and bark orders because you've been there and done that.

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/08/08 06:08 AM

Quote:

You can also stand at the front of a class of 5 and 6 year olds wearing those posh heavy cotton doboks that are more like a pair of warm pjs and bark orders because you've been there and done that.

Only if I can wear my lush fluffy slippers with the pyjama-dobok.

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/08/08 11:32 AM

i think adidas makes those.

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/08/08 07:19 PM

I must admit I do like my slippers. I have three pairs by adidas and i get mocked by the others for wearing them but since our trainning hall doubles as a beer garden in the evening from time to time its slippers for me especially for saturday morning class
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/09/08 12:46 AM

Hello Stuart:

I won't comment on the art per se, our "korean airborne cousins" do what they do, whether I love it or not. As a technical matter the clip unfortunately IMHO-fwiw is too haphazard to make the ~ideal~ assessment, again purely my view. Too many different things in no particular order that I could detect, made in the presentation.... to me at least I felt it was horribly confused. I am sure being there it made perfect sense.

Technical questions purely from intererst. The multiple person sparring only one contest? Regardless he was doing an awful lot of "bouncing" from my biased perspective (ie a low kicking art), were they kicks only...? Granted only a snippet but merits asking...

People will test according to their habits be they 10 year habits or hundred year ones. Why a board of literal strangers? Never understood that one... as his instructor either you consider him ready or not. Why import anybody for that purpose... will he ever see them again?

<<as I usually do by hosting small, intensive gradings.

LOL we ~loose money~ on the party afterwards, if money is any part of the equasion. They have spent the time, now we're merely sharing their experience(s) one extra time . Anybody with sufficent experience can get their own "small piece", if they are able

The test is always free, the belts are our cost until yudansha ranking then it becomes free like the tests. Thankfully broken anythings is a very very very rare thing. Would not want to be him... ouch!

Jeff
Posted by: Supremor

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/09/08 10:52 AM

Quote:

As a technical matter the clip unfortunately IMHO-fwiw is too haphazard to make the ~ideal~ assessment, again purely my view. Too many different things in no particular order that I could detect, made in the presentation.... to me at least I felt it was horribly confused. I am sure being there it made perfect sense.

I agree with that. Although I can understand the clip as a kind of commemoration of the event, it is almost impossible to make out exactly what the order of the activities were, or see enough of one thing to form a strong opinion either way. This is probably just my technophobe reaction to anything that's edited, but even with my experience of doing the same things and watching many similarly structured gradings in the past, I found it difficult to follow.

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/09/08 02:46 PM

I agree with Ronin and Supremor. The video as a personal commemoration of the event works ok, however the problem with short snippets is they create a focus upon a small piece of action and so aspects which might not normally be noticed suddenly become magnified and open to criticism.

Example; in some cases the grader (I assume) seems to pause and not deliver blows as crisply or as quickly as one might think he should. However, in reality this might not have been the case overall.

Likewise, the patterns... I do not like the visual effect of sine-wave. To me it looks like some kind of aerobic routine. That is not to say it isn't effective or that the practitioner is doing anything wrong. It is simply a matter of aesthetic taste, in this case.

Like some others have said, this is just a problem of the format of vid-clips.

What I do like in this vid is the range of differnt types of sparring. The ground-work and throws etc, low-kick work etc is more in-depth than I've seen at some dan-gradings.
Nice to see that some folk are doing more than just competition sparring.

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/10/08 10:30 PM

Sorry for late replys, been away for a few days...

BrianS
Quote:

However, I do give up in a sense. After rereading my comments I think I was less than constructive in my criticism and would like to publically apologize to StuartA.

No apology required (twas simply banter AFAIC), but thanks anyway for offering it.

Ronin1966 & Supremor
The clip isnt meant to be a indepth overview of the grading or a complete grading (it lasted 3 hours near enough), but a dip into what the student did, a small snippet if you will. In fact I only started doing them to show people that theres more to a TKD grading than a couple of patterns, a competition spar and a board break.

Ronin1966 - The rest of your questions I'll reply to on a seperate post, as Im not sure I understand all of them exactly.

trevek - All points noted. When I do that editing I just snip a few bits out to represent the different sections, I perhaps should be more careful with the bits I select, picking only the best bits, but I'm not..so I get soem good, some ok, perhaps even some bad. The point many forget reviewing things liek this is that perhaps a not so cruisply executed technique was done following 5 round sof spatrring or something..I cant show that side in a short clip, even if I wanted to.

Stuart

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/10/08 10:52 PM

Hi Ronin1966
Quote:

Too many different things in no particular order that I could detect, made in the presentation.... to me at least I felt it was horribly confused. I am sure being there it made perfect sense.

It did.. however, we do not run in an particular order for any of it. The idea being that no planning can take place if its all thrown in at any time.. consequently this means you may do some breaks, some sparing, a pattern, more sparring etc etc.

Quote:

The multiple person sparring only one contest?

No... all sparring has 2 rounds (in fact eveything against an opponent has 2 rounds of it)

Quote:

Regardless he was doing an awful lot of "bouncing" from my biased perspective (ie a low kicking art), were they kicks only...? Granted only a snippet but merits asking...

No problem. Part of the requirements is to try to line the attackers up rather than just trying to fight them both at once.. this is hard against 2 BBs that know what your trying to do, more so with a dodgy foot, so probibly moving more than he usually would of.

Quote:

Why a board of literal strangers?

They are not strangers.. they are all instructors that have either seen the student come up through the ranks or regular train/teach at my school. No strangers at all, to me or the students testing.

Quote:

Never understood that one... as his instructor either you consider him ready or not. Why import anybody for that purpose... will he ever see them again?

As i said, all the instructors see the students fairly regularly, so yes, they will see them again. Why a board.. because then there is no question that I passed them on any level except the grading requirements.. not that I would of, but no one can ever say I might of! Furthermore, its good for the student to be promoted by others who are not their instructors (a personal opinion but one I have clarified by studnets from other schools who have been graded by their own instructors as well as the opinions of my own students) - all gradings at Rayners Lane are done in front of a panel (even kup ones).

Quote:

LOL we ~loose money~ on the party afterwards,

It was not in reference to any party.. we dont have a party afterwards, certainly not for the examiners. The one that travels near 100 miles for me I put up at my house and feed him at no cost to my students. Grading fees cover hall hire, an embroidered belt (if required), certificate and other bits (such a BB blazer badge, tie, gold lapel pin) and some petrol money for the examiners. ie. the cost of the grading, no more. For a single grading student the cost to run one is a fair bit more than what i charge them.

The examiners costs are minimal and in return I do lots for them to enable these gradings to take place (without charge).. You tell me how much 5 dan grade examiners from 3rd to 6th dan would cost on their own for 3/4 hours - a gym trainer charges £50p/h)!! hence without the give and take, I could either charge the student hundreds of pounds or not do things how I think they should be done! No LOL at all, the first grading we held, had 6 students and lasted 8 hours.. that time I got a catering firm to provide food for the examiners as they coudnt be expected to sit there all day hungry.. so it was right, originally one had his own costs that I only found out about the day of the grading - so as not to upset the grading (as the studets had already been informed of the examiners) I paid this myself (and it was a fair bit).. following that I spoke to him we sorted a compromise out for future gradings! So, certainly not an LOL matter, just a matter of running an in-depth grading in a cost effective manner!

Quote:

if money is any part of the equasion. They have spent the time, now we're merely sharing their experience(s) one extra time ...The test is always free

Not sure I get this.. but if I could provide gradings for nothing I would (but I dont own the hall and dont expect people to do things without at least covering their expenses). As I dont charge BBs to train, then I cannot even cover it out of that either!

Regards,

Stuart

Re: 2nd Dan Grading - 11/11/08 08:51 AM

Quote:

The point many forget reviewing things like this is that perhaps a not so crisply executed technique was done following 5 rounds of sparring or something..

I appreciate that, Stuart. It's a problem with making the films.