Poom Belts: Red or Black on top?

Posted by: TKD_X

Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/06/08 12:57 AM

Recently i have been arguing with some recommended black belts in my school (recommended BBs wear poom belts which are half red and half black). i understand in Kukki TKD Poom grades are given to those not old enough to hold dan grades. in our school, poom belts signify the rank of recommended black belt (right before black belt). So according to any standards is it red on top or black on top. I used to be positive that it was red on top, but i am not sure as all the RBBs claim that they were told black on top. perhaps i will get no more of a sane argument here, but it's worth a try. you get kudos if you agree with me
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/06/08 02:48 PM

Red on top until the day of thier BB test is the way we do it.I don't know if that's a solid uniform standard though.

It's my understanding that the black on top would signify someone who has passed the bb test but doesn't meet the age or some other requirement to wear the bb. I was told in Korea all under 18 could achieve is that belt then they would test again for full black at 18. Again, I'm no authority though.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/06/08 03:05 PM

Wow, I'm really gonna respond to this threat... Red on top, black on bottom. And I second what JMWcorwin said, I've heard the exact same thing from Korean black belts who trained in South Korea.

I've also seen schools, that had a Black belt with a white stripe going through the middle. This belt signified a black belt candidate mean the student was a year away from being eligible for BB testing.

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/06/08 04:49 PM

that's what makes it confusing because we aren't really a south korean system. although the founder of our federation is south korean, we don't practice WTF forms, but we have some association with the kukkiwon.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/06/08 05:18 PM

Can't say I've ever heard of which is which.

When trained TKD (not long months only) our 1st Gup was a red/black belt which from adults to juniors to children held. Never were we told whether the red or the back should be on the top or the bottom; it didn't really matter.

Then when testing anybody younger then 16 was only eligible for a Poome belt and this belt is slightly different then the 1st Gup belt; and includes Korean lettering and your name. The black is worn on top and the red on the bottom for the Poome belt. This belt is only awarded after the black belt testing.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/06/08 05:23 PM

There really is no set standard. Most of the belts you see don't even exist in the ITF curriculum. When I have been in a school that uses the split belt, the black has always been on top.

VDJ

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/06/08 05:25 PM

Just as a side note; in the year I wore the 1st Gup belt; never once did I think what color was on top or the bottom.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/06/08 05:52 PM

These are the things that make me appreciate the consistency of the ITF (and remember, I am NOT a member of any of their orgs). The ranks are the ranks the world over (and yes I am aware that SOME do stray off a bit) but for the most part its:

White
White w/yellow tag
Yellow
Yellow w/green tag
Green
Green w/blue tag
Blue
Blue w/red tag
Red
Red w/black tag
Black 1st thru 9th Dan

No split belts with questions of what color goes on top (though they may question what side the tag goes on, which I believe is the right side) and the color of the tag is always the color of the next belt, not the rainbow assortment that you see on some them.

VDJ

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/06/08 06:12 PM

I have to apologize for earlier posts as I can't believe I forgot. For one our belts are exactly what VDJ has listed here but instead of tags we have the next color in the middle of the belt not half and half like the Poomse belt ... and probably why I never had to worry about it. And as noted the Poomse belt had the black on top.

I'm losing it; sorry. Must be the meds I'm on for my neck injury as I seem to be forgetting much as of lately.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/06/08 07:54 PM

We have this belt too. It would go red belt, then this belt, then the half red/half black belt, then black.

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/06/08 09:51 PM

Quote:

These are the things that make me appreciate the consistency of the ITF (and remember, I am NOT a member of any of their orgs). The ranks are the ranks the world over (and yes I am aware that SOME do stray off a bit) but for the most part its:

White
White w/yellow tag
Yellow
Yellow w/green tag
Green
Green w/blue tag
Blue
Blue w/red tag
Red
Red w/black tag
Black 1st thru 9th Dan

No split belts with questions of what color goes on top (though they may question what side the tag goes on, which I believe is the right side) and the color of the tag is always the color of the next belt, not the rainbow assortment that you see on some them.

VDJ

i have always been told stripes/tags on LEFT side. it's funny how in color belts you can almost tie it any way you like (except maybe in a bow) and get away with it. that is what i like about black belt. name/school name on the right, stripes and korean lettering ("han moo kwan tae kwon do") on the left. no room for mistakes. you know when it's wrong.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/08/08 07:21 AM

Quote:

it's funny how in color belts you can almost tie it any way you like (except maybe in a bow) and get away with it. that is what i like about black belt. name/school name on the right, stripes and korean lettering ("han moo kwan tae kwon do") on the left. no room for mistakes. you know when it's wrong.

Whoops, I still have no idea what side things should be on. I just shove the belt on, tie it any how and get down to some good hard training!

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/08/08 01:37 PM

for BBs it's a matter of comfort and ease. our black belts are MUCH thicker than the color belts. if you tie em a bunch of different ways, they won't get broken in. after a while of tying a certain way they get softened up in the right places and tie just the right way.
Posted by: Kujaku

Re: Poom Belts: Red or Black on top? - 08/08/08 01:38 PM

I train in a blended style based mostly off of Hapkido and TKD. Our upper ranking belts go from Red -> Brown -> Jr. Black (The Black and Red belt) -> Probationary Black Belt (All black, no writing) -> 1st dan+ (Black belt with embroidery).

When we are at Jr. Black Belt, we wear the black on top and the red on bottom. The reason for this is because we are working to go UP to Black belt, not go UP to Red Belt. This is why the red is on the bottom.