Korean Terminology

Posted by: SteveH

Korean Terminology - 07/19/08 09:39 PM

I am a 2nd Dan Tang Soo Do instructor and I am seeking opinions in an attempt to clarify the correct terminology to be used when referring to assistant instructors in a class situation - specifally bowing in/out of the class.

My interperetation, and the tradition within my Federation, is that the term Jo Kyo refers to a trainee instructor - regardless of rank. It then leads me to question the correct term for a qualified instructor who is acting as an assistant to a more highly ranked instructor.
After scouring many terminology pages, whilst there are many variations, the concencus seems to be as follows:

Jo Kyo Nim - 1st Dan Instructor
Kyo Sa Nim - 2nd Dan Instrucror
Sa Bom Nim - 4th Dan or Master Instructor

If anyone can point me to a definitive and correct source for this information I would be most grateful. I also welcome any interpretations or opinions on the matter.

Also, any TSD practitioners who simply want to chat about the art - feel free to contact.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Korean Terminology - 07/19/08 10:37 PM

Hi Steve,

I don't claim to have any authoritative knowledge on the subject but we use the terms fairly similar to how you have them. Not that I know the proper spelling, anyway...

Kyo Sa Nim = Instructor
Sa Bu Nim = Master
Kwan Ja Nim = Grand Master

Laura
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: Korean Terminology - 07/20/08 12:34 AM

my system is the same as Laura's. I've never heard of Jo Kyo Nim. i've heard boo sa bum nim used for assistant instructors. either way it's good that you are preserving korean language in the dojang. i had a conversation with my instructor the other night about bowing at the end of class. he said once he had been visiting a school in the same federation. he was the most senior student present, and was expected to bow out the class. he was tired from class. instead of saying bow to sa bum nim, he said bow to master instructor. as he was bowing, master instructor, excuse me sa bum nim, gave him a sidekick to the stomach and knocked him over.
Posted by: SteveH

Re: Korean Terminology - 07/20/08 01:42 AM

Thanks TK. I would love to be one of those hard-ass old instructors but sidekicking students or other instructors is not great for business - however much it often appeals to me.
I share your sentiments about maintaining traditional terminology.
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Korean Terminology - 07/20/08 11:24 AM

Quote:

Thanks TK. I would love to be one of those hard-ass old instructors but sidekicking students or other instructors is not great for business - however much it often appeals to me.

I not sure if I would define it that way & think thats poor behavior by an instructor, but as always, JMHO
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: Korean Terminology - 07/20/08 03:39 PM

that was just a story from a loooonnnggg time ago. it wouldn't happen today. my instructor wouldn't do it and neither would i. just a funny story i thought i would share.