SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc.

Posted by: charlie

SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/20/08 03:27 AM

Can any one out there tell me what styles or groups of TKD DONT practice the 'sine wave'? (bobbing up and down action on techniques and movment)

I know in ITF TKD there is a lot of empahasis on the sine wave and in WTF there is NO sine wave - would say for instance T.A.G.B use the sine wave?

also can some one tell me if the TAGB uses the same syllabus as ITF? i saw on a TAGB wesite that it uses the same syllabus but without the breaking of boards - but instead uses pads to show the impact and targeting of kicks.

forgive all these questions - there is a point to it and not just random questions!

one final question - in your groups of TKD - if someone came from ITF TKD as a senior grade, say red tag, and then wanted to continue training with your group (not ITF) would they start from scratch or stay on their current grade?

I know ITF and WTF have a totaly different syallbus and patterns but what would happen if someone with a senior grade in ITF joined a WTF group?

i apologise if these have been asked before. also I dont mean to ask which style is better!!!

if anyone wants to know why im asking these questions i'll tell depending on the response to my post.

Thanks, Charlie.
Posted by: Andymcc

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/20/08 08:37 AM

Quote:

Can any one out there tell me what styles or groups of TKD DONT practice the 'sine wave'? (bobbing up and down action on techniques and movment)

-------------

one final question - in your groups of TKD - if someone came from ITF TKD as a senior grade, say red tag, and then wanted to continue training with your group (not ITF) would they start from scratch or stay on their current grade?

I know ITF and WTF have a totaly different syallbus and patterns but what would happen if someone with a senior grade in ITF joined a WTF group?

Sine wave discussion has been beaten to death on this forum. You can scroll through past topics and find a ton of rather heated discussion on it. People are probably not ready for another discussion on it. I would check out past topics, you'll find a lot.

As for coming in from another school, style, governing body, etc... this has been brought up before too, and the consensus was that it is dependant on the policy of the individual school. Some will let you wear your belt but train you all over again as if from a white belt as far as learnign patterns, etc. It may be years before you test for advancement beyond your current belt color, but you might test in some manner for your newly acquired knowledge. Other schools will not let you wear your belt, and start you fresh. There is not one answer... it very much depends on the individual school.
Posted by: charlie

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/20/08 09:08 AM

Thanks Andy,

dont worry i wasnt looking to start another discusion on the 'ins and outs' of sine wave or style bashing etc.

my situation is this - I have been doing martial arts since a young age until this day and have attained high grades in certain martial arts, my roots being shotokan karate and since progressing with arts like aiki jujutsu, karate jutsu, goju, kick boxing and ITF TKD.

I have been doing ITF TKD for about 3 years now and have attained red tag. Last year I had to stop as i was involved in a VERY serious car accident ( i wasnt driving!!) the ITF TKD school is a fair distance away and I was perhaps looking to get back into it but maybe TAGB or even WTF closer to home.

so my question should be 'does TAGB practice sine wave?'
Posted by: TKD-Skippi

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/20/08 09:32 AM

as i understand it ITF tend to do it as a matter of course. Though some instructors prefer to loose it just as a matter of preference.

its a great way to generate power. In more advanced studies of TKD there are many techniques that require very fluid motions being trained in the sine wave is very helpful for this.

if you had a high rank in ITF and went to a WTF school then you would probably have to learn all the patterns. but i would also imadgine that it would be an easy transition to make
hope this helped
Posted by: EarlWeiss

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/20/08 11:29 AM

The first issue is to define your terms. WTF is a regulstes the sport of TKD which for that group consists primarily of specific sparring rules. It's sister group the Kukkiwon sets grading standards and is now unifying the curricula. 1975-1977 while away at college I trained at a school with a WTF flag on the wall and Gneral Choi's book on the desk doing General Choi's curricula. At that time Kukki TKD and WTF was still in it's infancy and most of the Senior instructors knew Gneral Choi's system so they were accepting different systems under their org. A tue stroke of genius for recruitmant, a disater if you learned one system and tried to transfer to another school in the same org doing a different system.

When I went to the WTF school while away at college I offered to wear a white belt. I was a 2nd gup. The instructor toldme to keeop my belt on . I guess it would look bad if a white belt ouclassed some higher ranks. Anyway, I suggest you approach any other school with the same humility . Tell them your history offer to wear a white belt but ask if you will be allowed to advance as your abilities and knowledge warrant . A good instructor would be willing to advance a student with suffficient background accordingly instead of making them adhere to a specific schedule.
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/20/08 09:08 PM

this may be a simple question, and i may know the answer but don't recall, but what does TAGB stand for? i think ITF to WTF would be a pretty easy transition. it's JMHO that the kukki TKD poomse are pretty simple. i know people who have gone from almost black belt level in WTF and switched to our system (we are part of an independent federation that teaches Chang Hon/chon-ji/ITF forms but without the sine wave), where they have been able to obtain their blackbelts within a year of switching. i think switching to sine wave would be a lot harder than switching from it. see what you can find in your area and keep an open mind. you'll probably pick up whatever system pretty easily.
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/22/08 12:59 AM

Quote:

this may be a simple question, and i may know the answer but don't recall, but what does TAGB stand for?

TKD Association of Great Britian
I think they are a spin off or formerly of the ITF or ITF based

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/22/08 01:00 AM

Quote:

Anyway, I suggest you approach any other school with the same humility . Tell them your history offer to wear a white belt but ask if you will be allowed to advance as your abilities and knowledge warrant . A good instructor would be willing to advance a student with suffficient background accordingly instead of making them adhere to a specific schedule.

Exactly

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/22/08 01:04 AM

Quote:

I know in ITF TKD there is a lot of empahasis on the sine wave and in WTF there is NO sine wave - would say for instance T.A.G.B use the sine wave?

also can some one tell me if the TAGB uses the same syllabus as ITF? i saw on a TAGB wesite that it uses the same syllabus but without the breaking of boards - but instead uses pads to show the impact and targeting of kicks.
Thanks, Charlie.

The ITF uses SW & many former ITF stylists, for lack of a better term may do some form of it, as it has evolved as well as the Art & syllabus. So depending when the group or school was last with the ITF or how closely they followed the current syllabus will answer your question.
It will obvioulsy vary.
Another common mistake is saying that anyone who does the Chang Hon Tuls or ChonJi forms or ITF patterns are ITF. This IMHO is far from what the ITF is in the sense of style or common syllabus or even membership standing

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/22/08 01:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

this may be a simple question, and i may know the answer but don't recall, but what does TAGB stand for?

TKD Association of Great Britian
I think they are a spin off or formerly of the ITF or ITF based

ahh thanks ITFUnity
Posted by: Den141268

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/22/08 01:37 PM

Try AIMAA taekwondo association under Master Hee il Cho, they dont use sine wave but practice ITF style taekwondo.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/22/08 08:41 PM

Quote:

Try AIMAA taekwondo association under Master Hee il Cho, they dont use sine wave but practice ITF style taekwondo.

Not entirely accurate as GM Hee Il Cho also holds rank from the Kukkiwon (WTF) and practices some of the Kukki poomse's as well.

VDJ

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/22/08 08:50 PM

the president of our federation holds a 9th dan from the kukkiwon but we practice Chang hon forms.

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/23/08 10:24 PM

Quote:

the president of our federation holds a 9th dan from the kukkiwon but we practice Chang hon forms.

This is not that uncommon. My instructor also has a Kukkiwon certificate and we practice most all of the CH patterns (still do Ko-dang and not Juche, we also do some BB WTF patterns). GM He Il Cho holds ranks with certificates from both the ITF and WTF, as does GM David Chanine, the Father of TKD in Lebanon. GM Chanine has also created a pattern that bears the name of General Choi, it is called "Hong Hi". I have yet to see it and have not been able to find any video of it anywhere.

VDJ

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/24/08 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is not that uncommon. My instructor also has a Kukkiwon certificate and we practice most all of the CH patterns (still do Ko-dang and not Juche, we also do some BB WTF patterns). GM He Il Cho holds ranks with certificates from both the ITF and WTF, as does GM David Chanine, the Father of TKD in Lebanon. GM Chanine has also created a pattern that bears the name of General Choi, it is called "Hong Hi". I have yet to see it and have not been able to find any video of it anywhere.

VDJ

i believe our system practices ko-dang too. however i am not sure because i am only a second dan.

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/24/08 11:36 PM

"i believe our system practices ko-dang too. however i am not sure because i am only a second dan."

I know that you just received your 2nd Dan, but Ko-Dang is a 2nd Dan pattern, so maybe pretty soon.

VDJ

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/25/08 09:33 PM

Quote:

"i believe our system practices ko-dang too. however i am not sure because i am only a second dan."

I know that you just received your 2nd Dan, but Ko-Dang is a 2nd Dan pattern, so maybe pretty soon.

VDJ

i believe i'm going to learn it after choong-jang. i'm taking things one form at a time
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: SIne wave, ITF, WTF, TAGB? etc. - 06/26/08 04:56 PM

Charlie,

Have a look at the GTI