Aspects of teaching TKD - Teaching Sparring Linewo

Posted by: GriffyGriff

Aspects of teaching TKD - Teaching Sparring Linewo - 05/29/08 12:16 PM

Quote:

I am SURE that the TKD guys on this forum MUST have some GREAT Aspects of teaching TKD.

TKD is an art with such depth and such potential.
What are your strengths in teaching TKD?
(I am not referring to the intangible ability to inspire). I wonder if some of you are open to post what aspects of teaching TKD you are strongest in and how we can learn from your posts. Maybe a Thread per aspect? What do you think?

Background.
A lot of students seem to find sparring daunting. This I believe is due to a combination of both:
A. The student focusing his/her energy on the mental approach to sparring. (eg. “What do I do now?”). Rather than just going with the flow.
B. The poor way in which it is often taught. By this I refer to many schools which just don their sparring gear and get on with it. This promotes those with advanced skills / natural ability to continue to shine (But at the same level of skill) and those who do not yet possess the ability, may become disheartened/fearful or even leave.

The fearful sparrers are the worse as they spar in a disjointed and often telegraphic manner. They just lash out the once and find it hard to recover their balance/guard.

Approach.
I break the teaching up into various sections which are repeated on different days:
A. Entry Techniques.
B. Jamming and Countering.
C. Flowing. (Working around the blocks and jams).

I break the class up into a single line of pairs One side is called “Hanna” the other “Dool” and in this way I can dictate the pace and focus on each student. The “Hanna’s” are to focus on attacking with a specific technique with speed/control/no-telegraphing, whilst the “Dool’s” watch for tel-tale signs on attack and focus on blocking/covering and also contering.

Entry Techniques:
The idea is for a series of attacks to begin with a similar starting technique. (This makes it hard for the defender to read what will follow in later combinations).
It is like teaching vocabulary.

I will start with a single long range technique and ensure that their range is good and the technique makes controlled contact. (lets say it is a Crescent Kick).
After both sides have completed 2 sets of 10 reps and are fluid, then we may go on to a Spinning Back Kick for another 2 sets of 10 reps with the defender covering and giving a little ground.

The same techniques can be modified by the defender stopping the spinning back kick. This will cause the attacker to reverse direction and hit with a back kick with the other leg. (Again 2 sets of ten reps).

This also teaches the attacker not to freeze when blocked, but to use the block as a means to reverse direction or work around it.

Every technique must be fast & fluid and the attacker must recover their guard.

(Appologies if this seems a little blurred, it is 3am. I will append to this post when I have slept a little more).
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Aspects of teaching TKD - Teaching Sparring Linewo - 05/29/08 01:07 PM

Hi Griff. I agree with your intial points on sparring. I posted some similar thoughts here:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15783082

I think that sparring drills for beginners should be very simple, with clearly defined goals for each participant. Usually along the lines of one person attacks, the other defends, switching roles at regular intervals. Starting very simple, ex: person A punches, person B evades or blocks. Next cycle, person A adds in kicks, person B still defends. Next cycle person B is allowed to clinch in response to A's attacks, etc.