Tae Kwon Do Uniforms

Posted by: TKD_X

Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/23/08 06:07 PM

Today i look at the many different Tae Kwon Do schools and styles and their uniforms/doboks. The diversity is very interesting to observe. I myself have a wide variety of uniforms and i was wondering what styles/colors everyone else wears. what are you favorites? what are their significances? How about your black belts? are they plain? do they have stripes or other embroidery? in what color? do you have patches? i think it would be very interesting to see what other systems wear. i didn't see any other threads like this so i thought it would be cool to share experiences.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/23/08 06:08 PM

I personally own a traditional white jacket-style dobok with black striping, a white adidas uniform with a black lapel and some striping, and a black traditional jacket-style dobok. my blackbelt is of course black with my name and my school's name in english gold letters on the right side (looking down at the belt) and han moo kwan tae kwon do written in korean (i want to say the official name is hangul, forgive me if i'm wrong) and when you obtain higher than 1st dan, the dan is noted by stripes that are diagonal (also in gold) on the left side of the belt. masters have a gold stripe that runs the length of the belt, grandmastrers have two. on the left shoulder is the american flag patch. south korean flag is on the right. school patch on the left chest, federation patch on the right. i sound like a taekwondo billboard haha. how about you?
Posted by: trevek

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/23/08 06:19 PM

I had a traditional wrap-over 'gi' style and then the org i belonged to startedwith stupid V-necks which were designed to look like wrap-overs (with a seam across the body). Eventually i just bought WTF one which suits everyone.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/23/08 06:28 PM

is that how those v-necks work? haha. i don't think i would like them either. as our federation is based in original ITF, the official uniform is the white wrapover style. however some people have the pull-over WTF-style doboks because they prefer the style. and i forgot to mention, as i just learned this recently, the official master's uniform is traditional wrapover style with black striping too, but it is gray instead of white. the wrapovers are often reserved more for exams and other official events. for training we tend to go for lighter uniforms like the adidas WTF style in the summer and black wrapover in the winter. i find the diversity so interesting.
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/24/08 01:01 AM

The wrap over top (shirt) called Jeogori in Korean (yes Hangul is the word for the Korean alphabet characters) is a throw back to Karate, as is the double wrap belt (Ti in Korean) to Judo, for grabbing & maintaining a grip on your opponent. The original 4 belt colors were also from karate. The original pants (Baji in Korean) were high waters, with the pants leg cuff going up to almost mid calf. Again a throw back to Japanese Karate.

This is another instance of how understanding history shows us how we got to where we are today & why. Please remember the Koreans have deep resentment to the Japanese, due to the brutal occupation for a half a century.

The correct English term for the TKD DoBok is practice suit, as that is what you put on to practice TKD. As the Korean leaders of the TKD movement wanted to distinguish themselves from the hated Japanese & their Karate, they looked to also modify the DoBok. The belt colors went from 4 to 6. The colors were steeped in Korean tradition. In fact, the 5 colors of the gup ranks are also on the Korean Tourism Agency official symbol. Black, red & blue denote various levels of hierarchy during both the Silla & Koruryo dynasties. A half white/black is for a Jr BB (13yoa). All of the colors of our belts have specific meanings. We also wrap our belts around just once. Which signifies the 1 founder, 1 MA of TKD & goal in fighting is to win with a single blow. BB ranks use roman numerals on the right, which I love, as I can never count all those strips, especially when the are moving & a high Dan. The letters ITF can go on the left & you may add your name to your belt.

The style of the DoBok is symbolic of TKD heritage & tradition. The ranks & classification are easy to see from the colors & roman numerals for the Dans, as well as the pipings or black trim. The practice suit, both Jeogori & Baji must be white in color to symbolize the traditional color of the Korean costume. BBs wear black trim along the bottom edge of the shirt. Certified International Instructors, 4th Dan & above wear black trim down the pants legs & shirt sleeves. A 4th Dan & above who is not a certified II may only wear the black piping on the pants legs.

The ITF patch is worn over the left breast, with the letters ITF above the patch. School patch or national patch can go on the right side. National flag can go on the arm, with the remaining arm used for either the school or national patch. The only required one is the ITF.
On the back of the shirt is the TKD evergreen tree which symbolizes long life. It is shaped by TKD in English, in a drooped fashion to symbolize humility. The trunk of the tree is TKD in Korean HanGul characters. The shirt is joined in the middle by zipper or velcro to help prevent the shirt from becoming undone & to be different from the karate Gi string ties on the sides.
On the pants legs, ITF is at the knee with TKD in Korean below. There are also 4 different instructor shoulder flashes on a yellow base with various colors that distinguish the 4 types of instructors, asst, II, master & GM, with colors indicating their responsibilites as instructors. When placed on the shoulders of the DoBok, they give a sharp military look, much like the bars of Military commissioned officers.

The major changes to the DoBok came in 1980 & the latest in Jan 2002. Only the ITF-NK adheres to these latest (minor) updates.

The WTF has come out with the V Neck, which I like, as it also seperates them from karate Gis & prevents the top from becoming undone during competition/training.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/24/08 01:03 AM

Quote:

on the left shoulder is the american flag patch. south korean flag is on the right.

Are you Korean?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/24/08 01:37 PM

Our Taekwondo uniforms are white and are V-necks. With black belts our uniforms the V-neck has black trim. With the colored belt uniforms there is the school logo on the back and once they become a yellow belt they are given a patch to sew onto their uniform that sits on the left chest. For black belt there is a black embroidered school logo on the left chest only; nothing on the back.

As for belts, the colored belts have nothing on them. For black belts our name is on them and some will also have the schools name as well; some will have your name in Korean. My belt has my name which I wear on the left and then in Korean our school name on the right. My grappling gi however is just white with no markings.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/24/08 04:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

on the left shoulder is the american flag patch. south korean flag is on the right.

Are you Korean?

No, i was told that we wear the American flag on the left shoulder because it is closer to your heart. i suppose the korean flag is on the right because the left was taken

I didn't know that official ITF uses single-wrap belts. very interesting. my system is double wrap. however we are not necessarily to be considered ITF. Over the years our federation has had associations with the WTF and the ATA as well. now we are just the Pan American TKD federation.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/24/08 06:21 PM

Our belts are double wrapped.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/24/08 06:31 PM

Yes the ITF is supposed to have just single wrap belts, and I have a long winded reason why in my book somewhere- I'll get it out if you really want. However, I really don't think it matters much. The kids or women often have them wrapped twice if the belt is too long and I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it.

At my TKD school, I wear an official ITF dobok, with the bit on the back, black trimming for dan ranks, and the ITF symbol on the left breast. No flags, which is as much an English sensibility thing as anything else; no school badge, don't think there is such a thing to be honest! It is held together with Velcro, which I much prefer to the zip I used to have.

My judo gi is plain white, no logos, no flags, no markings whatsoever. Belt is double-wrap. Suit is open and really thick, because it has to take all that grappling punishment. The thing always comes loose when I'm doing randori, to uncover my manly chest lol.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/24/08 07:58 PM

A throw back to Karate the double wrap belt (Ti in Korean) & Judo as well, for grabbing & maintaining a grip on your opponent. We also wrap our belts around just once. Which signifies the 1 founder, 1 MA of TKD & goal in fighting is to win with a single blow.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/24/08 08:00 PM

Quote:

No, i was told that we wear the American flag on the left shoulder because it is closer to your heart. i suppose the korean flag is on the right because the left was taken

Okay so you are not Korean & apparently American. So why then do you wear the Korean flag on your DoBok?
Posted by: EvenRats

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/24/08 10:52 PM

I was scolded one time for sewing Led Zeppelin patches onto my dobok.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/25/08 04:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Okay so you are not Korean & apparently American. So why then do you wear the Korean flag on your DoBok?

I wear the korean flag because tae kwon do is a korean martial art. it is the same sort of thing as if you wore a japanese flag on a karate gi or a brazillian flag if you do brazillian jiu-jitsu. it's a part of the art. i have seen many patches that have the american flag and korean flag on the same patch. i'm not sure if there is a specific meaning.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/25/08 04:54 PM

where are the dan stripes on your belts? left or right? ours are on the left (looking down after it's tied). i was always told that that is the traditional way. anyone know why that might be?

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/26/08 01:14 AM

Quote:

where are the dan stripes on your belts? left or right? ours are on the left (looking down after it's tied). i was always told that that is the traditional way. anyone know why that might be?

Again I am not sure there is a traditional TKD for that way. I think that stripes on a BB indicating dan level is a throw back to Japanese Karate. Therefore a true Korean tradition would reject that, as they have wanted to maintain, develop an Art that would be different from the Japanese due to their deep resentment towards them for their brutal occupation that lasted half a century just some 60 years ago. That is why original TKD uses Roman Numerals, which go on the right. JMHO I hope this helps.
Posted by: paddyska

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/26/08 12:40 PM

In all honesty, I think that we take the whole " don't do this, the Japanese done that" way too seriously. It also defeats the point of us having World or International in our organisations.
If we all felt that way I wouldn't be watching English telly or using their banknotes due to the Scottish history, and Americans would all be speaking their own language (probably Canadian!!!)

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/26/08 03:43 PM

hmm sounds like our system does a lot of traditional things not in accordance with today's ITF

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/26/08 04:12 PM

And because of all of this politics I stay away from it and thankfully my school does as well. History and all of that stuff are put to the side so that the focus can be on training. You don't like my uniform ... who cares. You don't like the way we train ... who gives a rats @ss. Politics has no business in training.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/26/08 10:18 PM

Quote:

In all honesty, I think that we take the whole " don't do this, the Japanese done that" way too seriously. It also defeats the point of us having World or International in our organisations.

Yes Sir, I do take it pretty seriously. However, I hold no ill feelings toward Japan. To the point at hand, the question went to tradition. Tradition is influenced by history. It is of course histroically the way it was done in the past. I merely offered some historical insight so the poster would have the info they requested & the context in how it was shaped to develop that way.

TKD is for everyone. It is ironic that in 1982 a TKD school was opened in Japan. Within about a decade, they were winning in the WCs in team pattern - which is a huge accomplishment & especially sweet, given the past history. See what good TKD can accomplish.
See how understanding the history makes the accomplishment more meaningful.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/26/08 10:25 PM

Quote:

hmm sounds like our system does a lot of traditional things not in accordance with today's ITF

Yes & that is not a bad thing. I am sure you have a fine school & do much that is better than our way. It is just that TKD, as governed by the ITF has continued to develop & evolve over its 42 years of existence. Understanding history will help show how & why different influences shaped that process. Of course the deep desire by nationalist Koreans to re-instill their national pride & culture shaped how TKD grew. This was not limited to the ITF, but JiDo Kwan, whose rules became the WTF rules & the Kukkiwon, as well as the KTA.

So if a school has tape or stripes to show what Dan rank one holds, it is merely a hold over from Japanese Karate. That is not a bad thing. But TKD tradition would be different. I think many may be surprised on how much links there are in T K D to Karate. Which again, is not bad in & of itself. JMHO

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/26/08 10:34 PM

Quote:

And because of all of this politics I stay away from it and thankfully my school does as well. History and all of that stuff are put to the side so that the focus can be on training. Politics has no business in training.

Yes Sir Mr. Dereck I agree. Rest assurred that politics holds no place in my Dojang.History is shared as it is part of what makes what we do an Art & not just a physical activity. Now this forum is much like a virtual Dojang, where learning takes place. This learning takes place in the front of a computer screen & not on a Dojang floor. While this learning occurs, we do not sweat, but we offer answers to the questions of those seeking knowledge. Sometimes those questions center around a technique, how it is best deployed, ways to develop it to the fullest, etc. Other times it is about history.
One fact that can not be ignored is that real world politics played a real part in the development (history) of the Art we call TKD. That is not the case in any other MA. This may be a reason why people get turned off & point a finger at us. However, we can not shake it, ignore it or change it, as it happened. Understanding that may not be important to many, or hold a high place in standing with most, but that knowledge, like history in general, often holds keys that help open new doors or make the opening of these doors easier.
Posted by: michaelboik

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/27/08 10:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes & that is not a bad thing. I am sure you have a fine school & do much that is better than our way. It is just that TKD, as governed by the ITF has continued to develop & evolve over its 42 years of existence. Understanding history will help show how & why different influences shaped that process. Of course the deep desire by nationalist Koreans to re-instill their national pride & culture shaped how TKD grew. This was not limited to the ITF, but JiDo Kwan, whose rules became the WTF rules & the Kukkiwon, as well as the KTA.

So if a school has tape or stripes to show what Dan rank one holds, it is merely a hold over from Japanese Karate. That is not a bad thing. But TKD tradition would be different. I think many may be surprised on how much links there are in T K D to Karate. Which again, is not bad in & of itself. JMHO

Honestly, I don't think it's a throwback to Japanese Karate as it is a Western thing. I hardly see any Japanese masters with strips on. I think as the arts came west, the infactuation with rank came into play and the stripe wars started. American Kempo had stripes on both sides.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 03/27/08 04:09 PM

i don't know if it's an western thing or not. our federation's founder and president is korean. however it may have come from our past association with the ATA, but i'm not sure how their system works. when they stopped doing the ITF forms, our president broke off and started his own federation. he has also tested for 9th dan at the kukkiwon. so we have all sorts of influences.
Posted by: jeff_andle

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/21/08 01:17 PM

Quote:

If we all felt that way I wouldn't be watching English telly or using their banknotes due to the Scottish history, and Americans would all be speaking their own language (probably Canadian!!!)

According to Samuel Clemens we already are separated by a common language...
Posted by: trevek

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/21/08 04:12 PM

You can still use Scottish banknotes!
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/21/08 06:42 PM

Quote:

I'm still trying to figure out where they came up with speaking Canadian . It's one of the few countries thats younger than the US and the primary language is english or french depending on the province.

VDJ
Posted by: flynch

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/21/08 08:00 PM

I have a single wrap belt and a double wrap. The double was given to me by my instructor and the single came with the fancy uniform with the black trim. I also have a pull over WTF uniform which I were from time to time and doboks with no trim which I wear. Nobody ever complains. Why not use it if it is still good? Has nothing to do with skill level or ability
Posted by: flynch

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/21/08 08:03 PM

Politics certainly seems to be alive and well. It's a top down thing and makes little sense in relation to the actual art people are supposed to be teaching.

It really robs them of their credibility IMHO

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/21/08 08:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm still trying to figure out where they came up with speaking Canadian . It's one of the few countries thats younger than the US and the primary language is english or french depending on the province.

VDJ

Rest assured that I've been told that neither English nor French is spoken anywhere on the continent!

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/21/08 08:58 PM

good to see my post active again! speaking of canadians, did anyone see george st. pierre's uniform the other night? good stuff. anyway i realized at the last tournament i went to that i've out grown my old official pan am federation traditional jacket dobok. there goes another 150 dollars. it's the heavy one i talked about in the first post. i'm a big fan of the heavier doboks, anyone else like the heavier ones over the lighter ones? and jeff_andle, don't even get me started on samuel clemens. haha
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/21/08 09:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

VDJ

Rest assured that I've been told that neither English nor French is spoken anywhere on the continent!

And I'm guessing that you were told that by someone from the respective countries in Europe. I don't care what they say, its english and french.

VDJ

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/21/08 10:56 PM

as entertaining as this dialogue is, could we redirect the thread towards uniforms and their significances?
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/27/08 01:56 PM

Interesting. I've watched the dobok evolve from plain white karate-style to white karate-style w/ black stripes on the lapel & down the leg to the pull-over V-neck. It's also interesting that the thickness of the fabric got thinner & now I'm reading that the belts are half as long. I'm thinking that the doboks are cheaper wholesale but the student cost is the same or more than before. The belts will probably be cheaper wholesale and remain the same or higher to the student. Add to all this the number of patches and an instructor can increase his profit margin substantially.

It can all be justified by making-up a "traditional" or symbolic explanation for the humble dobok.

Me: Shureido K-10 gi w/ my organization embroidered to the L chest, my BB has the organization on 1 end & my name (in kanji) on the other end.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/27/08 02:39 PM

it's cool how people have their names written in their art's respective language. i wish i had that. i believe someone had said earlier that they have two belts, one in english and one in hangul. that's pretty cool.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/27/08 06:18 PM

my belt has my name in english and hangul next to the rank bars and my slogan in each on the other end. We have the option of english, hangul or both on both ends.

I do belong to an organization with a lot of patches but only the ATA patch is required and the rest are fluff. Well the black instructor collar and the judging chevrons I won't do without... until I earn a higher collar (number of active students) or the leg stripe (4th dan).

We use the wrap and tie style.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/27/08 06:53 PM

once i become a master, i might take the liberty of ordering a belt in all hangul. i like the way those look. i only have "han moo kwan tae kwon do" in hangul on the left side of the belt. what do you mean by your "slogan" on one side? and what side does the ATA wear the dan stripes on? ours are on the left. my federation was once ATA based. once they stopped doing the ITF forms, we broke away from them. would you share the whole ATA uniform system with us? i would be interested to know how it influenced our system. i understand if it is too involved. it would jut be interesting.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/27/08 07:28 PM

i'd like to also ask a v-necker, if i use the little elastic band on the top to go across the front of my body to the little button on the other side, am i using it correctly? i know it's meant to keep something in place. my method seems to work for me.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/28/08 07:01 AM

Quote:

you share the whole ATA uniform system with us? i would be interested to know how it influenced our system. i understand if it is too involved. it would jut be interesting.

Beginners get a light weight uniform - white wrap around gi - and a single wrap belt. The back is allowed to be blank but usually says TAEKWONDO and the school location. The front has an ATA patch om the right breast.

Options:

Tiny Tiger, Karate for Kids or school custom patch on left breast.

Black belt club, leadership or master's club patch on left shoulder. Leadership or master's club on right shoulder (these depend on the level of committment the student has made).

DELTA, DTE, A-TEAM, etc. "honors" patches under BBC on left shoulder.

"ADVANCED"
Nationally registered leadership/masters' club (Instructor Trainee by tradition, even if not all are planning to progress past the first collar) and black belts are allowed to have their name under an embroidered ATA patch under either TAEKWONDO or State/National/World (ATA closed) Champion.

Non-"leadership" black belts used to have to get their name on a heavyweight with black trim on bottom. Now they can wear a black belt with a beginners' gi. Otherwise the advanced/committed student is considered an instructor trainee (tell them a goal enough times and some will accept it). They wear a RWB collar if under 13 or a red collar if over 13. After passing Level 1 the colar is red/black. After level 2 black-red-black. Level 3's are black with an optional stripe indicating their student base.

Judging chevrons go up the right sleeve - levels 1 - 3 and weapons.

Black belts are double wrap with name and rank bar on our left. The other side of belt carries a saying. For first degrees it is almost always "pil sun" (personal victory) to signify that attaining a black belt is more an inner victory over doubt and fear than an outer. After ist dan the student may select a slogan. many chose bible verse references. others are suggested a slogan to motivate (like "through it not to it" for a powerful kicker that often fails to break a board...) Mine says "Reach new heights" as a personal challenge to both leave the ground and to expand my training. My 2nd dan belt said "perservering Mountain" for personal reasons.

Rank stripes are a sewn on patch I II III IIII * ** *** and ****.

Grandmaster wears ***** (9th dan).

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 04/28/08 07:25 AM

thanks for the informative post!

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/17/08 05:00 PM

here's a good question. it is my understanding that any end of belt stripes go on the left side of the belt (when tied). anyone know why this is? so when i test for 2nd dan, my belt will look like this when tied: double-wrap, my name and school name in gold horizontally on my right side, "han moo kwan tae kwon do" in hangul in gold vertically, and 2 slightly diagonal gold stripes below "han moo kwan tae kwon do" on my left

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/17/08 09:27 PM

The only yhing I can tell you is that in the ITF the rank goes on the right. We don't use stripes for BBs, we use roman numerals.
Now I am not sure of why it is on the right. I will try to find out.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/18/08 01:04 PM

sounds like another thing that makes us different from traditional ITF hehehe.
Posted by: StuartA

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/18/08 07:55 PM

Quote:

The only yhing I can tell you is that in the ITF the rank goes on the right. We don't use stripes for BBs, we use roman numerals.

Thats interesting. I was taught rank is worn on the left!

Stuart

Edit: Just cehcked the CDrom.. Vol2 about Uniform has a dan rank with his on the left as well. Not sure if it actually states it in writting which side.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/19/08 12:37 AM

ummm, which right and left are we talking about? Dum question, but I'm confused.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/19/08 03:28 PM

Supremor: we are talking from the wearer's perspective (or at least i was ). i was always told stripes go on wearer's left. here's a handy hint for getting the stripes on the left. if you tie your belt using the middle and crossing at the back, start with the stripes on the right.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/20/08 01:12 AM

Quote:

Supremor: we are talking from the wearer's perspective (or at least i was ). i was always told stripes go on wearer's left. here's a handy hint for getting the stripes on the left. if you tie your belt using the middle and crossing at the back, start with the stripes on the right.

That's how all of ATA wears them (on a good day! there's always the new belt recipient that has fleeting dyslexia)
Posted by: Andymcc

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/20/08 10:19 AM

Quote:

Well, TDK_X may be thinking "stripes" because for the first three dans the roman numerals essentially look like stripes. (1, 2, 3, = I, II, III). It is not until 4th dan that the markings (IV) no longer looks like stripes.
A common misconception.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/20/08 03:42 PM

pedantic of you Andymcc. but no misconceptions here. my school isn't ITF...or WTF...or ATA. we practice chang hon forms with no sine wave and we belong to a federation that was founded by a grandmaster who originally practiced WTF, then switched to ITF and then ATA until they stopped doing the chang hon forms at which point he founded our current system. we denote ranks with diagonal stripes, not roman numerals, at the left side of the belt (wearer's perspective). Jeff, it's probably our ATA influence for which we wear stripes on the left. do you know why left and not right?

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/21/08 07:54 AM

Quote:

we denote ranks with diagonal stripes, not roman numerals, at the left side of the belt (wearer's perspective). Jeff, it's probably our ATA influence for which we wear stripes on the left. do you know why left and not right?

No, but the list of questions for next month is swelling...

A lot of schools (non ATA) use 1 - 4 embroidered gold stripes including the international ATA affiliates STF and WTTU, and some WTF schools that I have been at.

ATA uses a patch with I II III IIII (not IV) then stars. They are stated to correspond to officer rank bars and general's stars...
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/21/08 08:44 AM

I have a question regards the Dobok, Note My Origins were in Tang Soo Do,

Why is the Tae Kwon Do Dobok different to all others apart from Kickboxing suits, If we look at all the other Korean styles like Hapkido, Tang Soo Do etc have Doboks which resemble the Japanese Gi. Who, when and where was the difference set.

Thank you for you guidance

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/21/08 10:09 AM

Dobbersky, ATA (songahm tkd) uses the double-tie gi. I believe the V-neck has several reasons:

easier movement, lighter weight
more modern looking to fit a "modern traditional" art
not Japanese.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/21/08 10:57 AM

Quote:

I have a question regards the Dobok, Note My Origins were in Tang Soo Do,
Why is the Tae Kwon Do Dobok different to all others apart from Kickboxing suits, If we look at all the other Korean styles like Hapkido, Tang Soo Do etc have Doboks which resemble the Japanese Gi. Who, when and where was the difference set. Thank you for you guidance

Simple reason & it has nothing to do with MAs. The Koreans hated the Japanese for their brutal occupation of Korea for the 1st part of the 20th century. Since TKD has its obvious rppts in Karate, over time they wished to be seen as different. Hence the new DoBok. The WTF has the V-Neck. The ITF has the velcro or zipper joined in the middle. Both have the use of black trim & piping & the use of the same 6 colors of the belts, which have significance in their colors in Korean tradition. The ITF also uses a belt that is wrapped around the waist just once, as a further distinction.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/21/08 10:01 PM

the tang soo do schools that our school does tournaments with usually wear a japanese style dobok with the distinctive dark blue trim (for black, or should i say dark blue, belts that is). i know that is because black was originally considered the color of death. (i found that amusing, "hi i'm a death belt." ) but the v-necks are probably also used to separate kukki and chang hon TKD. in the end despite assertions that it is not the case, TKD and other korean arts developed with a lot of japanese influence. plus would you expect a grappling art like hap ki do to get very far with a 5 oz. adidas dobok? my system uses a lot of very old traditions like double wrap belts and japaneseish doboks. on the belt question from earlier, i like the stripes. i don't think i would like the roman numerals. even though the numerals were developed (i think)to distinguish from the japanese (am i right ITFUnity?), it doesn't make it seem more korean in my opinion. perhaps it's more universal. do any of you know if any 9th degree grandmasters wear 9 stripes, or roman numeral IX? i know our grandmaster doesn't have them. he has hangul on both sides of his belt. he does however have 2 gold stripes running the length of his belt, to signify "Grandmaster" (where master is signified by 1 gold stripe the length of the belt). i'll try to ask him when he is here for my 2nd dan test.

by the way, i like this subject, let's keep it going.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/22/08 09:30 AM

Quote:

i like the stripes. i don't think i would like the roman numerals. even though the numerals were developed (i think)to distinguish from the japanese (am i right ITFUnity?), it doesn't make it seem more korean in my opinion. perhaps it's more universal.

That makes sense to me, makes it more universal, not Korean

Quote:

do any of you know if any 9th degree grandmasters wear 9 stripes, or roman numeral IX?

Yes the ITF GMs wear it with Roman numerals. There are photos of the founder wearing it as well.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/22/08 03:34 PM

cool. however i haen't seen any GM with 9 stripes. out of the ITF you don't see a lot of koreans with the stripes. i wish i knew all what is written on their belts. i don't think if i make it all the way to 9th dan (that's my goal) i will put 9 stripes on my belt. i guess it's just however things develop. go with the flow.

i like the coversations on this thread. does anyone have a particularly unique dobok?
Posted by: menina

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/29/08 09:20 AM

I do not know any about dobok's history but I found the top part rather uncomfortable. I always end up with the collar choking me and my bare back, showing my skin. And that is not all. It appears the top part doesn't like to be trapped beneath the belt so, it starts to stick out.

It is too wide. Anyway I always train with the whole uniform and overcome to the difficulties... but from time to time I really feel like having some words with my teeshirt. Kind of "stay where you are. I am not going to repeat you that again!"

^_^

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/29/08 04:14 PM

what kind of uniform is that? there is a simple solution, no? get a smaller size!

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/30/08 02:39 AM

Yesss... I did try it but this is the best I could get:
http://www.infoeclipse.com/empresas/fgt/Galerias/VerFoto.asp?ID_Foto=6063

It's me... laughing at my technic is not permited! Ha ha ha... as you can see the collar is already starting to rebel... does not that happen to you?
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/30/08 09:48 AM

I noticed that in the century catalog they now have uniforms designed specifically for women. You might have better luck with one of those.

Laura

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 05/30/08 03:29 PM

the century ones are traditional wrapover style, not TKD pullover. i don't think it's really a matter of male or female, i think the top is just too big. on the top you could probably go 1 or 2 sizes smaller. try to put your uniform the way it's supposed to be. use the little elastic thingy. then tie your belt nice and snug. only suggestion i can give except for get a smaller size. also put on your dobok and try to see what causes that to happen. i would guess at too little mobility for the shoulders. you want your arms to be able to move freely in any direction.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 06/03/08 10:01 AM

Ok. I'll go for size 2. But I think anyway is going to end up like this: too short but too wide...

Never mind I am a superbeauty, I will be faboulous in any clothing!! Ha, ha, ha... just joking. lol. Thank you guys.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 06/03/08 08:40 PM

who do you order from? it might be as simple as changing brands.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 06/05/08 01:47 AM

Daedo and Ikara. I do not know if there are more branches working here in Spain.

I already ordered another uniform in my gym. I do not know who they work with but since it is quite expensive, I guess it is carefully manufactured and it would fit better.

Hey, do you guys have an specific uniform from your club? Or you just choose any in the market? If you have a fancy one I would like to see the picture!
Posted by: TKD-Skippi

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 06/05/08 11:13 AM

i have a plain white Dobok. with a jacket with a zipper up the front. the TKD badge on the left side of the frotn of the jacket. and ITF on the shoulder and trouser leg. lol nice and simple

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 06/05/08 04:15 PM

i described all of my doboks in the first and second posts on this thread. i order them thru my instructor. i wouldn't recommend buying from just any supplier, just ask your instructor if you want to. my light dobok is adidas and my heavier ones and demo one are century MA. in fact i just got a new heavy white one with the black belt trim. it's the brushed cotton kind from century. let me tell you folks, they are nice and comfy. my old white one i got when i was 14 is the heavy canvas material that you have to starch and iron if you want to have a prayer of being wrinkle-free. the brushed cotton ones are soft and require much less attention. white wrapover style with black collar and down leg sides is the official federation uniform. left shoulder: USA flag, right shoulder: S. Korea flag, left chest: school patch, right chest: federation patch, back: school patch embroidered, and school patch embroidered on left leg and "Han Moo Kwan" embroidered vertically beneath that. it sounds more busy than it looks.
Posted by: mcmillintkd

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 08/12/08 04:01 PM

http://www.chinmukwan.com/_mgxroot/uniform.html
I tend to like the heavier uniforms. They fit better and have a nice snap to them. I recently found out that the heavier uniform is easier to get blood out of then the lighter student uniform (don't ask...). The dojang that I attend has many patches but they are mostly passed out as incentives to the students. The only patches that we purchase are our federation patch, school patch, and flag patches. I tend to stick only with the federation patch. I tend to like the non-cluttered look. The uniforms for bbs are the traditional wrap around gis. I tried the v-neck doboks but could never get them to stay onl correctly so I sold the tops on Ebay and kept the pants. The gi I wear for judo and bjj is plain for several reasons. The first is I like the simple look and the second is that if I put either the Japanese flag, Judo crest or the Brazilian flag then I could only wear it to one class and not the other. Perhaps when I move up to a higher rank then I will change my mind. I have a friend that goes to an ITF school and of course they wear the traditional ITF uniform for official IFT events but the school wears tie-dyed doboks for everything else. I once saw an ITF tree on the back of a pink uniform and a green uniform. I think I will stick to basic white although I will sometimes wear black pants but never with my official CTF jacket.
Posted by: KickingAngel16

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 08/13/08 06:21 AM

Ours are the lighter uniform. Our instructors wear the ones with black pants and a blue top. The school's logo is printed on the back. No patches. The black belts have a heavier uniform with a black collar and no logo on the back.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 08/14/08 09:50 PM

i love my heavy black one for sparring. black sparring gear, black belt, black dobok. makes me feel tough
Posted by: KickingAngel16

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 08/15/08 05:41 AM

It may be tough looking, but doesn't it get hot to work in?
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 08/16/08 03:58 PM

Over the past 12 years I've had so many kinds of uniforms for different MA. I started with traditional white wrap around top with white pants. Which is like the general gi/dobak for any Japanese karate or Korean TSD/TKD school.

I then moved on to a cheap white V-neck pull over top and white pants. the basic uniform for any Olympic style TKD student. As the years went on I was given a Top of the Line Adidas Uniform, I mean it was the tuxedo of dobaks for Olympic style TKD, this was given to me by my instructor as a gift of appreciation. The material was just spectatular. It was eird, it was very light yet durable and it alloud wing to come, so it kept me cool. It was also similar to the cotten dobaks which absorbed sweat so that was an added bonus, even though the material from its outward appearance seemed as if i had glitter on it, it kind of sparkled. The V-neck was black trimmed, with 3 stripes going down both sides of the arms and legs, the traditional insignia for Adidas brand.

I also have the Herb Perez Uniform. Trust me folks, it is not worth paying what they charge for it. luckily it was also given to me from a Century distributor who I knew. Unlike my Adidas uniform, this one was very heavy, and had extra stitching around the lapels, and the pant leg for extra snap. The Olympic insignia was on it. This Uniform was black trimmed aswell. As I was already a black belt when I received.

I got my coolest uniform when I joined a Kung Fu school. This one came with a traditional kung fu jacket. I totally felt like Bruce Lee in my black jacket, with white clothes buttons and white cotton white cuffs. Along with some very cheap black pants. Even though this kung fu school was completely anti-Bruce Lee. I was so excited about the inform. Unfortunately, I didn't stick around to long in this school, as I could only take so much egotistical/bull$hiT people who constantly bombarded my hero with negative remarks. I'm happy to say this school closed 2 months after I quit it.

Even though I love my Adidas uniform, I have to say by far, the uniform I like the most is my heave all black, kenpo uniform. I bought this one myself. It was Century's top of the line karate uniform. Just short of becoming a judo uniform. The pants are very uncomfortable. but I love the jacket. A thick black cotton jacket, the lapels and wrist sleeves were strongly stitched. With this jacket every punch thrown is heard with a loud snap. And its very impressive when doing kata. The pants however, were to tight, and didn't allow me to be as flexible with my kicks. But if your a serious student and plan to be practicing for years to come. I recommend you buy the heavy uniforms, they last for years.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 08/16/08 06:21 PM

hello kickingangel,
if you are doing TKD right you should be hot and sweaty regardless of your dobok. if you can look tough while doing it, then you kill 2 birds with one stone. what's a blackbelt without the sweat?

hello Tek,
i have an adidas and 2 century heavy brushed cotton doboks. i love em. the adidas are light and airy, but the snap isn't there. century's heavyweight uniforms are really nice and durable. the only problem i have is that they shrink if you put them in the dryer once. it stops after some initial shrinkage. if you buy a size 6 and put it in the dryer, you get a 5 and a half. with the brushed cotton ones though, you don't have to iron if you put them in the dryer.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 08/16/08 07:38 PM

I think a good rule for any combative art. If your not seating your not doing it right.

Your 100% right about the heavy cotton uniforms. Luckily for me, by the time I bought mines, I had already 4 years of experience with cheap TKD uniforms. So when I washed mines, I used very little detergent only enough to take the dirt and odor out not enough to wash out the black color, and I hung my uniforms in the bathroom to air dry.

Anyone ever use the TKD or MA shoes?

I dunno about you guys, but when I use them and I do kicking drills, its like they add a pep to my step. Its the same way I feel when I box and I wrap my hands up. I feel this sudden surge of energy, and my techniques are crisper and sharper, know what I mean?

Re: Tae Kwon Do Uniforms - 08/16/08 08:24 PM

well the fading of the black color in simply inevitable. they just WILL fade. if you don't wash em good in the first say 5 or so washings, the black will continue to come off on your skin. each time i get a new dobok i promise myself i'll hang em in the bathroom to airdry, but they way it is when you are balancing school/homework, job, and TKD it's not really realistic unless you are really organized. with heavy black uniforms here're the phases i've observed: 1. Color coming off on you a lot/very stiff, 2. breaking in/less stiff/fading color in spots/less color comes off on your skin, 3. fading/shrinking of the whole uniform until it settles to one color/size and color stops coming off on you, 4. then after a year or so the collars/high-friction-areas fray a little and it becomes more of a gray dobok than a black one.

i have adidas TKD shoes for outdoor demos (concrete, broken glass, and asphault make bad surfaces for bare feet )
they have saved my neck on some potential ankle injuries. in terms of pep in your step i don't know if it's the shoes or the fact that i feel cool in my demo uniform in front of people and i'm psyching myself up . so i kinda know what you mean, but i think i kick equally well without shoes. if you ask me, it's just psychological. if you give a kid a dollar, they go skipping thru the candy store singing "i got a dollar..." if you give a black belt TKD shoes he starts doing jumping/flying/spinning kicks singing "i got TKD shoes." if you train in TKD shoes every day for a year, you probably won't feel any extra pep.