9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do

Posted by: ITFunity

9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do - 02/07/08 07:55 PM

This topic came up on another thread. Some thought that I was talking about keeping secrets from students until some special level or only certain students & the like. I then realized that many were not understanding what I was referring to because they do not study ITF or Chang Hon style of TKD or do not have access to the 15 Volume Encylopedia of Taekwon-Do, written by General Choi Hong Hi, 1983, 1987, 1993 & 1999. These are 9 principles that should be followed or 9 concepts that should be adhered to or understood, to insure one's training progresses in a scientific & efficient manner. Now some may say these only apply to my Art or style, but I think anyone can benefit from them, so here they are! please let me know what you think. I would apreciate any & all feedback. Thanks!

The 9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do (Which are not meant to be a secret!)

1 - To study the theory of power thoroughly
2 - To understand the purpose & method of each movement clearly
3 – To bring the movement of the eyes, hands, feet & breath into a single coordinated motion
4 – To choose the appropriate attacking tool for each vital spot
5 – To become familiar with the correct angle & distance for attack & defense
6 – Keep both the arms & legs bent slightly while the movement is in motion
7 – All movements must begin with a backward motion, with very few exceptions, however once the movement is in motion it should not be stopped before reaching the target
8 – To create a sine wave during the movement by utilizing the knee spring properly
9 – To exhale briefly at he moment of each blow except a connecting motion
Posted by: TKD-Skippi

Re: 9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do - 02/07/08 08:06 PM

ah cool reading this list i can already see a couple of ways of improving by paying closer atention to numbers 4 and 1.

Thats one of the things i like about TKD all the secrets are for eveyone to know! t
Posted by: EFRAIN

Re: 9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do - 02/07/08 08:12 PM

Quote:

This topic came up on another thread. Some thought that I was talking about keeping secrets from students until some special level or only certain students & the like. I then realized that many were not understanding what I was referring to because they do not study ITF or Chang Hon style of TKD or do not have access to the 15 Volume Encylopedia of Taekwon-Do, written by General Choi Hong Hi, 1983, 1987, 1993 & 1999. These are 9 principles that should be followed or 9 concepts that should be adhered to or understood, to insure one's training progresses in a scientific & efficient manner. Now some may say these only apply to my Art or style, but I think anyone can benefit from them, so here they are! please let me know what you think. I would apreciate any & all feedback. Thanks!

The 9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do (Which are not meant to be a secret!)

1 - To study the theory of power thoroughly
2 - To understand the purpose & method of each movement clearly
3 – To bring the movement of the eyes, hands, feet & breath into a single coordinated motion
4 – To choose the appropriate attacking tool for each vital spot
5 – To become familiar with the correct angle & distance for attack & defense
6 – Keep both the arms & legs bent slightly while the movement is in motion
7 – All movements must begin with a backward motion, with very few exceptions, however once the movement is in motion it should not be stopped before reaching the target
8 – To create a sine wave during the movement by utilizing the knee spring properly
9 – To exhale briefly at he moment of each blow except a connecting motion

LOL wow. Been a while since i last read over that man lol... Well as u know the GTF derived from ITF so the curriculum is basically the same except certain technique changes in patterNs and new patterns added by Late GM Park Jung Tae. The training secrets of TKD like u said are not really secrets but more like the basic knowledge that should always be on our minds and this can be applied to any art/system.

Bow out with respect from a KD/BAGUA MATIALIST
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: 9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do - 02/08/08 11:18 PM

Yes i see now. in my training no one has ever presented these as the "9 secrets," i just kind of pick them up without such strict interpretations as i go along.

Re: 9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do - 02/08/08 11:46 PM

Quote:

Yes i see now. in my training no one has ever presented these as the "9 secrets," i just kind of pick them up without such strict interpretations as i go along.

Yes but the point of these secrets to training are not to "just kind pick them up" as you go along, but rather be taught these concepts or principals, know them & use them to help you "go along" more efficiently.
Posted by: flynch

Re: 9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do - 02/09/08 01:18 AM

I really like 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

But I also like the fact that somebody took the time to try to put these things down on paper. It is just a massive contribution to all Martial Arts.
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: 9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do - 02/10/08 08:48 PM

well i mean they are taught as principles, but not as "secrets". perhaps my wording could have been better. i understand them but i can't just say off the top of my head "number 3 is ..."
Posted by: ITFJJ

Re: 9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do - 02/20/08 03:09 PM

Unity - I've got to ask. Do you actually have the 15 volume set? I've got my condensed encyclopedia and my instructor's club has the whole set, but other than that I don't think I had seen a full set before then.

Re: 9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do - 02/20/08 07:56 PM

Yes I have 3 editions of the full 15 volumes set, the 1st ed 1983, the 2nd ed 1987 & the final 4th ed 1999. I am missing the 3rd ed 1993. I also have several editions of the condensed book as well, including the latest 2004 edition.
Posted by: ITFJJ

Re: 9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do - 02/21/08 08:23 AM

No wonder you are the board encyclopedia!

I'm probably just cheap, but I get frustrated with the evolution of the art causing the references to be outdated. It seems with every seminar (even those given by the same master) there are small changes to technique. Therfore, I'll shuck out the dollars to attend the seminars, but I don't think I would be willing to spend the cash to by the new editions everytime.

I have the 2004 edition of the condensed encyclopedia as well.

At least the 9 Training Secrets haven't changed in my memory.

Re: 9 Training Secrets of Taekwon-Do - 02/21/08 01:35 PM

Well you can always buy the final ed, 1999 of the 15 volumes, as it is the FINAL ONE. It should be noted that there are very few changes in the different editions, whether they are revisions, updates or edit corrections. The bulk of the changes in the texts comes from the 1965 to the 1972 text, with a few more with the 1983 text.

The training secrets evolved from 8 concepts to the present 9, with the 1 breath with each movement, except connecting motion. Good luck!