What do you do in your Taekwondo school?

Posted by: Dereck

What do you do in your Taekwondo school? - 08/29/07 05:59 PM

Just curious what you do in your Taekwondo school?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What do you do in your Taekwondo school? - 08/29/07 06:01 PM

I

KICK

ASS!!!!!
Posted by: Supremor

Re: What do you do in your Taekwondo school? - 08/29/07 06:08 PM

My school does almost no grappling whatsoever- It's pretty much kickboxing with patterns and TKD techniques. Personally, I don't mind, I can get my grappling elsewhere.

BTW Dereck, you forgot PADWORK!!! Now that's an important element of TKD!

Re: What do you do in your Taekwondo school? - 08/29/07 06:10 PM

You do Matt. I posted mine as well which I didn't select Pressure Points, History or Other ... though I'm sure there are some other things I can't remember.

I sort of did this to see what people actually do. One TKD school is not the same as another even though they carry the same name or even organization. Martial arts involve so much and I just wanted to see if Taekwondo for many is well rounded for most.

Nothing scientific about this and just a curiosity thing.

Re: What do you do in your Taekwondo school? - 08/29/07 06:13 PM

Padwork is certainly important but I assumed it was a part of Taekwondo as a whole. That punching and kicking techniques were done in different forms such as in the air, with pads, focus mitts, slammer shield, paddles, wave masters, heavy bags, with partners, etc.

I probably missed quite a few things or took things for granted but others please feel free to throw those up here and that way we can see this. Thanks

Re: What do you do in your Taekwondo school? - 08/29/07 06:17 PM

Oh, if you want to know what I DIDN't select then:

Falling Techniques
Throws, trips, sweeps
Joint Manipulation
Submissions/Chokes (ground & standing)
Grappling (standing)
Grappling (ground work)
Clinch Work
Sparring (Free style; boxing, kicking, takedowns, clinch work, submission, ground 'n pound, etc.)
Pressure Points
Weapons
Scenario Training
History

Which leaves out most of it Although some of it is ofcourse trained as part of one-steps and self defense- for instance, joint manipulation, throws, and submissions. However, I hardly consider that to be properly training something, so I neglected to select them.

Re: What do you do in your Taekwondo school? - 08/29/07 06:25 PM

Thanks Supremor for your detail. Not necessary of course but it helps others to see what one does. I would be just as happy to look at it later and for others to view it to see just what we are all doing on a whole.

I like your thinking that things are trained to some degree but not properly trained so you did not include it. I agree with this totally as I know vital areas and applying pressure but as we don't train it in any depth and I would say it is only "mentioned", I don't consider it trained so would not include it. If you spend excessive time training in an area and you spend whole classes working specifically on those skills then I would certainly consider it a part of your training. Say for instance when we train falling techniques, or grappling days, or boxing type skill days ... these are broken down to their core and are repeatedly studied.

Thanks again for your input.

Re: What do you do in your Taekwondo school? - 08/29/07 06:34 PM

No problem Dereck, actually this is a really nice idea for a poll. I am particularly keeping my eye on the "Weapons" box, because in ITF TKD no weapons are studied, so I am curious to see what the situation is among other practitioners.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: What do you do in your Taekwondo school? - 08/31/07 10:28 PM

You forgot "Kick Stuff" or was that a given?

I too Kick butt, but then thats more a reflection on my lack of flexibility...

Laura