chung moo 360 jump

Posted by: Ads

chung moo 360 jump - 07/31/07 04:08 PM

Any thought on an application for the 360 jump found in this pattern. Ive looked at all sorts of possabilities including different weapons and defences but can only really find 1 realistic possible open hand application.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 07/31/07 08:05 PM

From what I've been told on the form, you are jumping in order to avoid a sweep either from a leg or from a staff.

Casey
Posted by: VDan

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 07/31/07 09:57 PM

The Encyclopedia shows it as avoiding a strike from a bong (staff). It would be tough to find a realistic application of any jump spinning blocks when it comes to self-defense. Dodging is much more effective as you don't have to take your eyes off your opponent - or turn your back on your opponent - or have no foundation as you are in the air. Not saying I don't love jumping and spinning just saying I feel those movements in patterns are, IMHO, more for the beauty of the pattern.
Posted by: Ads

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 08/01/07 05:27 PM

Ive had similar explanations; one other being to try and confuse the enemy, which really is ridiculous.

Leg sweep - why jump 360 when a simple straight jump would avoid and prevent you from turning your back.

Staff - Anyone who has trained in using a staff (or even picked one up for five minutes) will know that if you tried to attack someones legs and they jumped you would very quickly continue with the motion and attack to the upper body.

Two possible explantions ive found (excluding weapons, although the hook swords do offer very terrifying applications) are as follows :

1) From a single grab around the throat - a 360 jump will release the grip as long as you rotate into the thumb.
2) From a rear bear hug - I havent actually tried this because I cant find anyone to let me try it. In my mind I imagine that your head will make contact with theirs and your hands will strike the side of their head. I dont think you could make a full 360 jump due to the resistance of the hold but I DO think that the grip will be broken and you will land facing the opponent. Im hoping somebody out their will try this and confirm what happens.

Or of course i could be looking to much into one technique which could in fact just be teaching agility.

As a side note I believe that this 360 jump only appears in one other TKD pattern.

And in one of the Shotokan Karate katas the same movement is done jumping backwards as oppose to on the spot which in my opinion has more potential possibliites.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 08/01/07 05:39 PM

I was hoping to find that link to the N.Korean Demo team in S.Korea that was on ITF-ONLINE a couple of years ago. They did this pattern with an "Applications" performance and it was impressive (though I can't remember how practical). If I find it, I'll post it.

VDJ
Posted by: MattJ

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 08/01/07 05:44 PM

VDJ -

You mean this one? -

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15890663
Posted by: VDJ

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 08/01/07 07:10 PM

Can't tell you. My computer has been giving me a major pain in the backside. It freezes up everytime I click on a link like this on a post and then I have to restart it again. Funny thing is I can go to the Youtube site and have no issues whatsoever!

VDJ
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 08/02/07 01:44 PM

Personally, I think the jump 360 is there, just to learn how to do a jump 360. For the heavier set, less airborn students, like myself, this move is a real challenge to pull off.

However, it seems to me that if they u-shaped block before is used to stop a staff...yeah I know the arguments, it might make sense that you then grab the staff and do the jump 360 to generate power to grab it out of their hands, swing around, and beat them with their own stick...

Laura

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 08/02/07 02:40 PM

Quote:

Personally, I think the jump 360 is there, just to learn how to do a jump 360.

I never really considered that. Purely for exercise value? That actually makes a lot of sense to me.
Posted by: EarlWeiss

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 08/03/07 10:01 PM

Try this one on. Patterns have you making all sorts of turns and executing techniques. In a combat situation, unlike sparring you may be faced with opponents or the potential for opponents all artound you. Why else would you turn 3/4 backward in say Dan Gun when you could simply turn 1/4 forward? These turns enable you to check your surroundings for potential threats while taking care of the most important first. In Choong Moo after the jump you do another technique moving forward and then what? A low block to the front and a backfist to the rear. Hmm how did you know the guy was behind you? I guess you saw him during the jump:)

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 08/04/07 08:48 AM

Another interesting idea. IMO, jump-turning seems overly stylized for simply checking the environment, when a simple turn of the head will do.

But it is good to see other perspectives. I always approach things from a strictly utilitarian POV, and sometimes miss the obvious!
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 08/06/07 12:05 AM

Picture the scene if you will..

It is Wednesday afternoon and slightly overcast.
You are in an Open-Air Market, being attacked by many people. (God only knows what you did to deserve this)...

You have just finished off one bloke with a Dollyo Chagi, Dwit Cha Jirugi combination.

Another one comes at you, 45 degrees to your left and you clock him with a Left Turning kick, then grab him and throw him to your Right (or you block a guy to your right who is crap with a staff) (Gojung Sogi, Digujta Makgi).

Suddenly someone to your front throws a steaming bowl of Miso soup at your face. (There is always someone like that in a fight).
You can not block the soup, so you Jump up and spin 360 degrees (allowing the soup to scald you mildly on your back). You land in Wen Niunja Sogi, Sonkal Daeyabi Makgi. Then you reach into his pockets with a Knife Hand strike. (To get some money to pay for the cleaning of your Dobuk).....

Does that sound feasible? or do I need another beer?
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 08/06/07 08:17 AM

Griff, You've been watching too many MA movies... lol
Posted by: VDan

Re: chung moo 360 jump - 08/09/07 10:47 PM

OK Master Weiss - guess the same applies for the 360 Jump in Sam-Il in that after doing it you do a side piercing kick to one side and Elbow strike to the other (I was trying to debunk this and just failed). Now thinking about the 180 Jump in So-San...

Griffy now that is funny!