1 Step Sparring - Technique List

Posted by: GriffyGriff

1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 07/29/07 11:51 PM

Attacker and defender face each other.
Attacker (A) – attacks with Right Walking Stance, High section Leading Punch.
Defender (D) - receives attack in Parallel Ready Stance.

Classic TKD Defense (Taken from Joon Gun Tul).
1. (D) Steps 30 Degrees back, to the left into a Left L-Stance, with a Right Knife-Hand Block to the outside of the attacking forearm. (Remember a Left L-Stance is the one with 70% of the weight in the Left leg).
2. (D) Grabs (A)’s forearm with his Right hand.
3. (D) Then Steps into (A)’s Centre-Line into a Left Walking Stance, whilst using a Left Upward Elbow strike to dislocate (A)’s elbow.

The following can be added as a finisher and take-down:
4. (D) Reverses the movement of his Left Elbow strike to bring his Left Palm down to control (A)’s elbow whilst (D)’s right elbow strikes horizontally against (A)’s Face.
5. (D) Then reverses the movement of his Right Elbow, by hooking the back of (A)’s neck with his Right hand and slams (A)’s face to the floor.
Posted by: VDan

Re: 1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 07/31/07 10:02 PM

A) Rear leg side turning kick
D) Dodge 45 degrees (to the inside) L-Stance (we do 65/35 on L-stance weight distribution) -forearm guarding block
Midair back piercing kick

Re: 1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 07/31/07 11:31 PM

(A) - Attacks with a Right middle section Front Kick.
(D) – Receives attack in Parallel Ready Stance.

1A. (D) Steps out to the Left (Outside Gate) of the Front Kick whilst the Right arm goes over and scoops under the kicking leg (similar to a reverse direction Dollyimyo Makgi).
The scoop finishes with the Right hand gently raising the kick over the crook of the Right elbow. (And the Attacker is starting to lose his balance).

1B. (D) Then fires the Right hand (Still underneath the kicking leg), palm upwards, forwards to grip the throat of (A), as (D) steps into (A)'s Centre-Line.
This will force (A) to slam down backwards onto the ground. (At this point, care must be taken not to injure (A) by grabbing his Dobuk with your Left Hand and lessen his impact on the ground).

1C. (D) Moves forward at the same pace that (A) falls and lands in a Low Left Walking stance and continues to hold the throat, whilst at the same time painfully trapping (A)'s kicking leg.

Hopefully I have described it in enough detail.
The nice thing about this one (for me) is that I can immobilize the Attacker with only 1 hand and can if needed, release & step away with speed to counter any other attacker.
Posted by: VDan

Re: 1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 08/01/07 07:52 AM

Explained fine - from a self-defense standpoint. We practice something very similar - on capturing and throwing a person executing a front snap kick.

Keep in mind my one-steps will not have elements of throwing - or in most cases even physical contact of the counter technique. Step sparring for us has the one blow to end a conflict theory in mind (not to say I have never done step-sparring without takedowns). We pretty much stick to the way General Choi showed them.

A) High Section Outward Strike with the knife-hand (L- Stance)
D) High setion inward block with the forearm (L stance)
High section reverse turning kick

Re: 1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 08/01/07 04:53 PM

Quote:

We pretty much stick to the way General Choi showed them.

OkeyDokey, I understand. We practice a more free flowing One-Step. I now understand why the techniques you posted sounded a little minimalistic. No Worries. Thanks for your input
Posted by: VDJ

Re: 1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 08/02/07 06:47 PM

From Hwa Rang Tul :

Attacker comes in with mid section punch

Defender side steps 45 degrees into sitting stance executing palm heel block to elbow, follows up with 2 punches to kidney's, concludes by pivoting to front stance and executing a ridge hand strike to the bridge of the nose.

VDJ

Re: 1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 08/02/07 06:58 PM

Not playing anymore. I have posted some starter techniques, didn't even get to the mildly good stuff.

I kinda thought that there would be an mutual exchange of decent techniques and I may learn something.

But it seems to be more on the level of:
Defender uses Wen gunnan Sogi, Kaunde AnPalmok Makgi & Kaunde Bandae ApJoomuk Jirugi.. Kihap.

Re: 1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 08/02/07 09:06 PM

Guy,

This board has always been a little slow to get started on some threads. Honestly, the reason that I didn't respond to VDan's post about knife defense seriously is that he is a good friend whom I see and train with regularly and can discuss in person the topic at hand (also, my typing skills aren't the best and if I'm tired and start trying to respond I make mega mistakes and get frustrated and sign off. Guess I should work on the patience thing some)!

VDJ
Posted by: Andymcc

Re: 1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 08/05/07 05:11 PM

My one-steps tend to be much more involved than the original ones from General Choi. I think it benefits TKD practitioners to think beyond the basic ones he introduced... his were not meant to be exhaustive, but merely a starting point.

Some of mine are difficult to describe but I will put out a few posts of ones that I might be able to translate for you.

NORTH: Facing Attacker in front of you
SOUTH: Behind you
WEST: To your left
EAST: To your right

Attacker (A) steps forward in a right walking stance, right punch.
Defender (D) begins in parallel ready stance (Choonbi)

(D)'s Right foot steps back SOUTH and WEST (left foot stays in place simply pivoting) while blocking with an open palm inward block with left hand. Ending position of this move has you at about a parallel ready stance facing EAST (left foot has not changes spots, simply has rotated). Your inward palm block has pushed the punch almost in front of you. You then continue your back spinning (continue pivoting on your left foot while it stays in place) another 180 degrees, which rotates you so you now face WEST and as you finish this rotation you hit the attacker with a back elbow strike to his right side ribs. You will find that your right foot is now behind his right foot. After the rib shot, you take your right arm and bring it up and around the front of his neck (keeping your arm straight) and drive the attacker WESTWARD and down by your right reverse kinfehand striking his neck and forcing him WEST which also takes him right over your right foot. Use that foot to ensure a take down. As he goes down you can catch his right arm with your left arm to continue the control all the way down.

Hope you are able to visualize this... very easy to perform and extremely practical, including using this kind of movement in free form stuff. But I know it is difficult for me to describe these on this forum. Let me know if you can figure this out, and I will describe others using the same type of description.

Re: 1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 08/05/07 06:39 PM

What a breath of Fresh Air!
Nice reverse flow of energy.

Technique PM on its way.
Posted by: Andymcc

Re: 1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 08/08/07 05:52 PM

disappointed people are not contributing to this... if everyone added just one of their favorite one-steps we'd have quite a nice list.
I'm willing to add plenty more, but not going to bother if we are all not sharing. Hope people will start throwing in on this one.

Re: 1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 08/08/07 09:20 PM

Attacker steps in with high punch

Defender steps in executing hooking block
Defender continues holding punching hand executes ridgehand strike to brakiel(spelling) plex and reverse body punch to solar plexus with free hand.

Defender continues with free hand to grab shoulder and execute leg sweep (at achillies tendon) driving attacker to the ground.
Defennder finishes with punch to head.

Begin with strong side of your body repeat with opposite side.

VDJ
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: 1 Step Sparring - Technique List - 08/08/07 10:30 PM

Quote:

disappointed people are not contributing to this... if everyone added just one of their favorite one-steps we'd have quite a nice list.
I'm willing to add plenty more, but not going to bother if we are all not sharing. Hope people will start throwing in on this one.

Sorry I would add some & share, but we do not do 1 steps static. They are free flowing from a PRS for both players - with a sudden attack & then an approriate defense followed by an effective counter, limited to 1 only. They are not pre-planned, so they become more realistic & more of a drill for SD.