*Where* do you like to fight?

Posted by: Supremor

*Where* do you like to fight? - 07/25/07 07:02 PM

TKD is often considered to be a "long" range art, indeed I believe Tek has called it an art for the long and medium ranges of combat. So, with this in mind, I thought it would be a good idea to ask you TKD guys yourselves what range you prefer to spar at and also ask you to clarify a few terms which may give light to the ranges TKD is most adapted to:

1) What do you consider to be long range, medium range and short range in TKD, and particularly sparring, since TKD is rarely practiced with grappling in sparring?

2) Where do you prefer to fight?

3) From the people you train with and your perception of the art, where would you say TKD's best fighting range is?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: *Where* do you like to fight? - 07/25/07 08:13 PM

Just throwing in my own observations. Take it for what you will...

I feel that (typically speaking), TKD's best range is the long (kicking) range. From everything I've seen (and I've seen a LOT of converted TKD guys), a lot of TKD guys have weak "hands", even weaker clinch and non-existent ground games. Certainly that isn't EVERYONE, but again, that's a typical observation.

What many TKD guys CAN do is kick. I think this should be fairly obvious.

-John
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: *Where* do you like to fight? - 07/25/07 09:32 PM

Good Subject, but I think we will have a mixture of responses based on the Chang Hon/ITF & WTF styles of TKD, so I think it would be benificial to clarify your primary style of TKD.

From my Chang Hon (ITF) Perspective

1. Ranges:
Short Range: Grabbing and Trapping Range.
Medium Range: Boxing Range.
Long Range: At the outer reaches of Boxing Range and beyond.

2. Preferred Ranges.
Most comfortable range is Short and Medium Ranges.
TKD has some very nice Short Range Kicks.

3.Peers.
I would say that most would like to stay between Long and Medium Range. That can depend on many factors:
A. Good Kickers (and Tall people) like to keep you at bay.
B. Those who are not comfortable using their hands.
Posted by: VDan

Re: *Where* do you like to fight? - 07/25/07 10:28 PM

Kicking range
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: *Where* do you like to fight? - 07/25/07 11:00 PM

What Style of TKD?
Posted by: CatnPhx

Re: *Where* do you like to fight? - 07/26/07 01:57 AM

Quote:

1) What do you consider to be long range, medium range and short range in TKD, and particularly sparring, since TKD is rarely practiced with grappling in sparring?

3) From the people you train with and your perception of the art, where would you say TKD's best fighting range is?

1) To me, long range is out of reach for a punch but within kicking range. Medium range is punching range and short range is clinch (elbows, knees, punches, etc...). That's me ... I converted to TKD from wrestling and boxing.

2) Preferred Range = For me, medium and short range ... punching distance and clinch. I wouldn't kick in a real fight unless it was to the balls or to sweep somebody. My old bones and muscles would NEVER be ready to kick on a moments notice.

3) Our school spends too much time on kicks because we focus on tournament sparring. As an instructor, I've tried to incorporate more hand techniques into the mix but I usually end up training my girls on my own to use more hands.

I've enjoyed my TKD experience because it's different for me. I'm more of a grappling and hand striking guy and the kicking has been new for me to learn over the past 5 years.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: *Where* do you like to fight? - 07/26/07 05:29 PM

Quote:

What Style of TKD?

He's Chang Hon ITF and has excellent foot work and very nice kicking abilities. I like the Mid to short range using my hands and short kicks. I have had a lot of fun sparring with VDan (forgive me Sir for taking the liberty to answer for you, but I was going to respond to the thread anyway).

VDJ
Posted by: VDan

Re: *Where* do you like to fight? - 07/27/07 09:57 PM

Not a problem Sir. We had a great sparring night last night. i rediscovered I don't mind punching range either :>)
Posted by: Majeh

Re: *Where* do you like to fight? - 07/29/07 07:48 AM

I practice WTF style, however outside of practice, most of the members of my school practices extra SD techniques and/or other styles of martial arts.

Quote:

To me, long range is within kicking distance, medium is where the front kick and front "push" is at it's most effective, short is where punches, knife hand strikes, palm-heel strikes, elbows and knees are the most effective.

Quote:

I'm fine at most ranges; however, at long range, I'm mostly defensive and I become more and more offensive as I close in to my sparring partner.

Quote:

TKD is an outstanding long range style, but it does have some nasty close range attacks if you dissemble the forms and practice those moves. I'd sat it's the weakest at the mid range fight.
Posted by: matxtx

Re: *Where* do you like to fight? - 07/29/07 01:50 PM

I think the ranges of TKD are fed by the rules that TKD spars under and what is taught and what goes on in a lesson.
If TKD people spar each other they behave like kickers to each other because thats what TKD is meant to be and its what they are taught.I feel its almost like you are forced to be that way.So a TKD person will use footwork and evasion to counter attack a kick with a kick.Or a punch with a kick.So kicks become relevent and work.Yet someone else,who the TKD peron might never spar,would smoother them and stand there then maybe slam them to the floor.
If you said spar or fight and do whatever then I dont think TKD would specificaly be a long range kicking martial art anymore.If you did that with all arts non would be a certain range and all would be the same.All that revenue and history and spiritual malarky shattered.mmmm,never going to happen. (psssst' and it would end up looking something like MMA/NHB shhhhhh)
Posted by: Christie

Re: *Where* do you like to fight? - 07/30/07 01:23 PM

To me:
Long range - side kick can make contact
Medium range - punch can make contact
Short range - knee can make contact

From what I've observed (WTF):
Long range - not within hitting range (need to do a step side kick etc. to actually make a hit)
Medium range - can make kicking contact without stepping forward
Short range - punch/back fist can make contact

Most TKD fighters rarely fight "short range" (by my definition). I'm inclined to agree that TKD is a long range art - take the opponent out before they can stab you in the stomach :P

Medium range, I've taken to a Muay Thai meets TKD sort of sparing style myself as the school I first started training at was a hybrid of the two arts under the title TKD (no WTF or ITF affiliation)

As I said, I find it to be most effective somewhere between (by my definition) long and medium range. A TKD kick done properly can take you out easily. (Of course not to say TKD is only about the kicks)
Posted by: tkdkid5282

Re: *Where* do you like to fight? - 08/07/07 04:45 PM

i think short is the person being able to touch them with a hand...middle is within kicking range and long is within sliding/moving in to kick area. I prefer medium just because it gives (and my short legs) enough space to move around in, but not far away enough to where i have to slide or step in to kick...but as far as that goes..during any sparring match it it always best to use all three to confuse the opponet and not keeping in the same range so they can find out how you work.