Yul-gok historical question

Posted by: Supremor

Yul-gok historical question - 07/23/07 11:52 AM

Currently I am researching the historical figure of yul-gok in relation to Korean neo-confucianism. However, I am having a problem verifying a statement that is made in most ITF TKD sources about the nickname of Yul-gok. That is, he is sometimes named "the Confucius of Korea." I can find no textual evidence of this EXCEPT in TKD sources.

Oddly enough, there is another figure who has been given the name "The Confucius of the East[meaning I expect Korea]"- Choi Chung. Toi-Gye is named "Zhu Xi of the East", after the foudner of Chinese neo-confucianism.

Can anyone verify Yul-gok's nickname with anything other than a martial arts source, since it is my hunch that whoever ascribed this nickname to Yul-gok was mistaken and it has subsequently been copied by all martial arts resources.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Yul-gok historical question - 07/23/07 09:27 PM

Try www.blueworldkorea.com (if you haven't already) Click on "Personalities" and scroll until you find Yi I (Yul Guk).

Hope this helps

VDJ
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Yul-gok historical question - 07/23/07 11:53 PM

Yul Gok, Yi I, devoted his life to studying Confucianism & had a profound effect upon Korea, even long after his death. This was the result of his lifelong dedication to Confucianism & his theory of government. He is only 1 of 3 figures who appear on the ROKorea' paper currency. Yi Hwang & Se Jong are the other 2.
I suggest you read Richard Mitchell's book on the history of the patterns. I can't speak to the nickname, but can ask some people & if I find out anything, I'll let you know.