I AM NOT TRYING TO BE DISRESPECTFULL

Posted by: dao

I AM NOT TRYING TO BE DISRESPECTFULL - 05/29/07 12:00 AM

I'm not exactly sure whether or not Tae Kwon Do is a "Martial" art. Could someone explain to me, no enlighten me to how this art can in fact be considered a Martial art?
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: I AM NOT TRYING TO BE DISRESPECTFULL - 05/29/07 12:07 AM

Uh oh...
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: I AM NOT TRYING TO BE DISRESPECTFULL - 05/29/07 12:10 AM

Of course it is a MA. In fact it is the most popular MA in the world. Of course there are several aspects to it. Indeed, many schools might emphasize or even consider it a martial sport. However, it is a MA & has been for some time now.
Posted by: trevek

Re: I AM NOT TRYING TO BE DISRESPECTFULL - 05/29/07 06:33 AM

errrm, how about the fact that one version of it was devised by a high-ranking army officer and taught to combat troops? In fact it is still taught to combat troops and security forces in several places.

Considering it is similar to several styles of Karate are we to expect a similar question on the Karate thread too?
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: I AM NOT TRYING TO BE DISRESPECTFULL - 05/29/07 07:30 AM

You can fight using TKD and it is a formal system of study with a philosophy, hence it is an MA. Simple really.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: I AM NOT TRYING TO BE DISRESPECTFULL - 05/29/07 07:45 AM

I think that was a pretty clear answer. Go to any bookshop, look in the martial arts section, and presto, there's TKD! That's enough for me. I am closing the topic, since seriously, what more could one add?
Posted by: TeK9

Re: I AM NOT TRYING TO BE DISRESPECTFULL - 05/29/07 08:30 AM

Well hmmm, I'm not sure what others will tell you, since there are so many definitions for the term art, it's so subjective. But for me Tae Kwon Do is an art for me because of the way I practice it. in other words, it would be no problem to learn how to perform a kick and pretty much make it functional, I mean after all a soccer kick is still a kick and if you can make it work for youin combat then well, thats your kick. But the fact that I practice these TKD kicks over and over. Trying to get the most power from my kick, applying it in the most beneficial way, learning how to apply it in different situations, trying to get the mechanics just right so that I don't waist energy, making all moves count. This is what I consider art.

A person could practice sparring and become pretty good at fighting even if they had sloppy techniques.

But a martial artist is someone who practices to perfect themselves in their respective individual disciplines.