Tae Kwon Do Tattoo

Posted by: shaunie

Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/07/07 10:21 PM

Hi

I don’t know if this has been asked or not, but does any one have Tae Kwon Do tattooed on them at all, or does any one have any good ideas for a Tae Kwon Do tattoo

I would like to get one but some people are saying I should get it in Chinese and others are saying I should get it in Korean, would just like to see what’s out there and if any one has one
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/10/07 11:11 AM

I'm guessing that you should probably get it in Korean, TKD being a Korean art and all that. Although, I'd also think carefully before you tatoo yourself with the name of a martial art... tatoos are something you have to live with for life, so making them as personal as possible is a good idea. If you are a life-long TKD practioner who will still be training it in 20 years, then fair enough - but if not, you need to think carefully about what you want to get tatooed with.

Me - I keep changing my opinions and views, so getting a tatoo would be a very bad idea!
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/10/07 11:50 AM

For a tattoo of any kind I would first decide on what exactly you want and then get a picture and put it some where that you will see it everyday. If you can look at it day in and day out, week in and week out, month in and month out ... with no problem and you are set on getting it, then take the plunge. Also by having it some where you can see all of the time you may decide to modify it whereas once it is on you then it is a heck of a lot harder to do that.

If it is Taekwondo orientated then it has to be Korean. With many TKD stuff they use a part of the Korean flag which is basically a ying/yang symbol. I've always thought it would look nice as a tattoo with it being small and then some art work around it. I always thought on my arm and then the art work being simple but much like barbwire around the whole arm but more elegant. To keep it simple it would be black and white only that way no colors fade with time.

I may never get a tattoo but have thought from time to time about it. Also thought at one time getting a little black belt beneath the ying/yang symbol (Korean Flag) to symbolize an accomplishment.

Just some thoughts.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/10/07 12:04 PM

I have three tattoos. When you get yours, keep a tube of Neosporin with you at all times, until it's completely healed.

You have to keep your tattoo clean. Wash very gently, and do not scrub. Keep a thin coat of Neosporin on it at all times. (Neosporin is better for your tattoo than Vaseline) Keep it out of direct sunlight for a week.

No matter how bad it itches, DON'T scratch it, and don't pick at the scabs.
Posted by: Paulol

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/10/07 12:09 PM

Quote:

Hi

I don’t know if this has been asked or not, but does any one have Tae Kwon Do tattooed on them at all, or does any one have any good ideas for a Tae Kwon Do tattoo

I would like to get one but some people are saying I should get it in Chinese and others are saying I should get it in Korean, would just like to see what’s out there and if any one has one

it might be better to get a blacked out pic of two fighters or a dynamic kicking shot? that way if you change your style down the line you won't have something stuck on you that you don't have faith in anymore

i wanted to get a tkd tat also when i was young, but held off. now i'm kinda glad i did'int get one. as many people i know are looking to get them taken off now
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/10/07 01:46 PM

That is a possibility for sure and why I suggested possibly the ying/yang symbol as this can represent many things.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/10/07 04:58 PM

Why not look at some of the ancient pictures of people foot-fighting which could also represent other arts. I'm talking about the ancient Asian art styles. That way it looks great even if you give up MA or TKD.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/10/07 09:48 PM

I've seen one where they guy had the ITF symbol on his bicep and another had the WTF symbol on his pectoral. The other one that I thought of was General Choi's quote "Whole life devoted to Taekwon-do" written in Korean, with its english translation under it.

VDJ
Posted by: Mandolynn

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/12/07 12:16 AM

I thought about getting the Korean symbols for Taekwondo tattooed somewhere. Small though, like one the back of my neck or something. I like the simplicity of it.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/12/07 05:04 AM

Thanks for all the help, I’m going to keep thinking about it
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/12/07 09:01 AM

Honestly, if you get a TKD tattoo in Chinese, you're just going to look foolish.

It would be like getting a tattoo of a shamrock, with the words, "Vive La France" written beneath.

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/12/07 06:21 PM

Quote:

Honestly, if you get a TKD tattoo in Chinese, you're just going to look foolish.

It would be like getting a tattoo of a shamrock, with the words, "Vive La France" written beneath.

Ya that’s what I was thinking, but some guys were saying that you get it in Chinese, and every one seams to do the wall scrolls In Chinese, I just want to make shore I was thinking along the right lines before I go out and get a tattoo.
Posted by: Mandolynn

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/17/07 12:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ya that’s what I was thinking, but some guys were saying that you get it in Chinese, and every one seams to do the wall scrolls In Chinese, I just want to make shore I was thinking along the right lines before I go out and get a tattoo.

Well, not really. Before the Korean writing system was invented they used adapted Chinese characters. A lot of ceremonial documents or anything made with high honors are still sometimes opted to be written in Chinese because it is considered a sign of high education and refinement. My Dojang has a large wall scroll with the Chinese characters for Tae Kwon Do, with the Korean system smaller along side it. Also, some of our 3rd degrees have the same Chinese characters on their belts.

You really can't go wrong with getting your Tat in Korean, but anyone who can recognize the adapted Chinese characters will be familiar with the custom. Your decision between the two will probably depend on how much you want to explain, lol.
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 04/25/07 03:05 AM

I would strongly discourage any martial artist from getting a martial arts tatoo. I would also discourage martial artists from wearing t-shirts, jackets, or other clothing indicating they are martial artists. The worst thing you can do is ANNOUCE to a prospectiuve attacker that you are a trained fighter. Even worse, there is always a chance you are going to run into some @#$% yahoo who will jump you just to prove his theory that "karate ain't @#$%."
Posted by: Underground

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 05/06/07 12:01 PM

Quote:

I would strongly discourage any martial artist from getting a martial arts tatoo. I would also discourage martial artists from wearing t-shirts, jackets, or other clothing indicating they are martial artists. The worst thing you can do is ANNOUCE to a prospectiuve attacker that you are a trained fighter. Even worse, there is always a chance you are going to run into some @#$% yahoo who will jump you just to prove his theory that "karate ain't @#$%."

I fully agree. When I first started TKD, I was wearing the shirts, sweats, etc...announcing to the world that I do TKD. Then after a few months of training, I stopped buying them. I now use the shirts to work on the car in. I wear nothing in public because I do not wish to attract attention.

I have been debating on getting a yin/yang tattoo. Just the logo alone doesn't mean martial arts. Heck, most people get that one because it "looks" cool versus actually knowing the principles behind the yin/yang. Just doing the yin/yang would be a better option. Plus, get it done where you can hide it with a t-shirt. If you ever go to a professional workplace, they will not hire you if they see a tat visible on you (many have become really picky).
Posted by: Turner

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 05/07/07 11:28 AM

Well personally ive got a lot of tattoos including back of the neck and hands and forearms and im only 18.

So a lot of work places wont take me on because they consider it thuggish and not many people like to see tattoos on display so i suggest get one if you will but be wary of the the consequences
Posted by: ITFJJ

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 05/08/07 11:55 AM

Quote:

Hmm, given the proliferation of oriental caligraphy of all kinds showing up in pop culture (tattoos of chinese horoscope, the whole Japanese car modifying craze etc) I don't think getting the Chinese or Korean characters for TKD as a tattoo is as overt a sign as you think. Likely only someone who can read the caligraphy or another practicioner will even understand it.

As for T-Shirts, jackets and the like. I do agree with the basic premise of what you are saying. I always used to think people who wore that stuff around all the time were just looking for a fight. I wear them when I am on my to or from class or working out in the gym, but then, If I'm doing my patterns in the gym, a T-shirt probably isn't what gives away that I am a martial artist. I also don't walk or ride the bus on my way to class or work, I park in the parking lot. Anyone who was going to start a fight with me in that span of time was probably going to attack anyway.

As for a TKD tattoo in general, I thought for a long time that I would go get one when I got my 1st Dan, but then once it happened, as much pride as I had in my accomplishment, it didn't seem important enough to permanently imprint on my skin. To each there own I guess.
Posted by: Joss

Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo - 05/09/07 10:08 AM

Tattooes for new and aspiring martial artists?

I think those who want to announce their new status with tatooes should get the Bubishi vital points tattooed on, where each one belongs anatomically, with Chinese lables and English subtitles (in parens).

See the second illustration on this page:

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=201

This makes a true, devil-may-care, statement that goes so well with matching screen persona such as "Bloodspray", "Deathwielder", "Killmaster", "Skullcrusher", etc, etc, etc. And think how impressed your friends will be.

This would also be very helpful to me as I am getting older and remembering detailed things like target lists is harder now.

Large print too, please.