I need some good punching techniques for TKD

Posted by: Keybladesage

I need some good punching techniques for TKD - 02/23/07 07:57 PM

Can anyone tell me about some good punching techniques. We dont practice punches much in class and I think punches would help my game. Thanks
Posted by: VDJ

Re: I need some good punching techniques for TKD - 02/23/07 09:05 PM

What do you train, mostly olympic sparring ? Hard to suggest or tell about punching techniques w/o showing you how to incorporate it with your fighting style. There's the reverse punch, the back fist and your typical boxing types like jabs, crosses and hooks. I would suggest looking around for some instruction locally that can help you with this.

VDJ
Posted by: mongolianmonk

Re: I need some good punching techniques for TKD - 02/23/07 10:11 PM

In our traditional Tang Soo Do tournaments it is hard to use any of the good TKD punches without getting penalized for over contact. I find the most effective punch is a counter reverse punch with ALOT of torque. It can be very effective if used on the floating ribs. Also a very sneaky fast punch is the front hand punch to the upper chest. The only concern here is if you just started you martial art it may be hard to learn to hold up your defense and still execute a good solid punch. Like VDJ said what type of sparring do you use. I specificaly remain traditional but have tried tournament fight til you drop style/olympic. If you in Olympic sparring use alot of crosses and jabs but remember your counter kicks. Also the backfist can be effective if your opponent is mainly blocking their middle lower and solar plexis. If you need any traditional help that is mainly what I specialize in.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: I need some good punching techniques for TKD - 02/24/07 06:00 AM

If your school isn't practicing it much, then I expect it is an olympic TKD school. If so, you are unlikely to be able to use many punches in sparring. My advice would be to look around for a boxing gym and do that as well as your TKD.
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: I need some good punching techniques for TKD - 02/24/07 08:35 PM

Yeah in competition, nothing but a stiff reverse punch is going to do you any good. That won't even get you a point but it can be used to create distance. Are you looking to learn them for competition? if it is olympic you are wasting your time, with a few exceptions.

Matt
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: I need some good punching techniques for TKD - 02/24/07 08:36 PM

I qualify that though, A superman punch is a great way to come out of a clinch. But that is just a reverse with a hop, then drive it down
Posted by: Dereck

Re: I need some good punching techniques for TKD - 02/25/07 03:24 PM

One thing to know about punches but another to know the proper dynamics and mechanics of proper punching which most certainly cannot be done over the internet. If you are not practicing punching in your school then look to supplement it with another school. A boxing school would be the best as that is their focus.
Posted by: Taison

Re: I need some good punching techniques for TKD - 02/26/07 08:40 AM

Quote:

Can anyone tell me about some good punching techniques.

Yes. Jab and Cross.

Go to a boxing school, they should be able to enchance your punching skills but I'm not sure if it's allowed in TKD tournaments.

-Taison out
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: I need some good punching techniques for TKD - 02/26/07 11:14 AM

Yes, all hand techniques are allowed in ITF tournaments, provided they are delivered properly to a correct & legal vital spot.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: I need some good punching techniques for TKD - 02/26/07 04:34 PM

AAU allows most any straight punch to the body and backfist and ridgehand to the side of the helmet in point sparring. Olympic sparring follows olympic rules !

VDJ