Running Jump 360 backkick?

Posted by: mongolianmonk

Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 08:47 AM

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers to land a running jump 360 backkick? The only issue here is I have significant knee injuries and cant seem to land without torquing wrong. I have been training Tang Soo Do for about two and a half years and for my first red belt pretest I need to execute a running jump 360 backkick boardbreak. I was wondering if someone cold give me a few pointers on how I can land without injuring my knees again.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 08:52 AM

Frankly, if your knees are that bad, I'd avoid spinning aerials at all cost.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, that's just my opinion.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 09:19 AM

You just had to add in that your knees are bad didn't you?
Now were suppose to be physical therapist and advise you how to land on a bum knee without watching you in person. Don't you have a sensei or instructor to ask these types of technical questions?
Posted by: Barad

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 11:01 AM

Find an art that does not involve kicking for the sake of your knees.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 11:10 AM

Quote:

I was wondering if someone cold give me a few pointers on how I can land without injuring my knees again.

Quote:

Yes. Throw the jab and cross repeatedly. -John

There's your advice.

-Taison out
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 11:51 AM

MM-

What is the specific problem? Is the impact hurting you, or are you twisting the knee, etc?
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 12:32 PM

Must you run? And must you jump high? I understand there is a certain flashyness when breaking but if you have bad knees like me, then you should be exempt from performing such acts.

I mean I do "jumping" kicks, but only lift myself one-two inches off the ground. Thats all you really need to twist and rotate your body. Also are you sure you need to run? That kind of defeats the purpose of spinning inthe air. The spin itself helps to reduce friction allowing smoother movement, and the spinning allows you to create motion and space for you to deliver a more powerful kick.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 01:07 PM

360 back kick was my requirement almost a year ago in April to obtain my black strip (1st Gup). At that time I still had my torn ACL so I was always careful but surprisingly I had no problems as I kept light on my feet; keeping in mind I also had to use good technique. Running, that would be a different thing all together as my break was done on the spot. Running ... I would have killed the boards as the impact would have made it far easier.

You will need to provide further info for anybody to help out further. You will also need to explain what kind of leg problems you have. Also I have to be honest, coming on to a forum is no way going to be as helpful as working with somebody one on one.

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 03:27 PM

To answer everyones questions I dont have to run I do have to jump or i would literally put more force on my knees. I have LCL and ACL problems in both to answer who asked that. Although I havent had any real trouble with them since before june last year I injure them easily. Since I am testing for my third stripe on my red belt I kindof need to do this break. My master does keep a very close eye on my kick and he says even know I kick with my right leg when I land I torque on it to the right. He said it is common for 14 yearolds to over rotate which I do sometimes. Also does anyone know how long it takes to develop enough speed and strength to perform a one inch punch?
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 04:20 PM

Hi, I have ALWAYS wondered about this type of thing.
I isn't really a 360 degree back kick is it??
It's a bit of a run, skip around, then possible a 180 degree back kick.

It always make me smile when people say they can do 360 degree kicking and don't.

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 04:30 PM

It is odd but the results is 360 degrees. For our break you are facing your board holder and for this example it will be your left leg forward. You are no more then a leg distance away from this holder and for myself I can almost reach the board if I over extend my body and lean over but I've also done it from a little further distance. On the spot your right leg comes up even with your left leg and at the same time your are twisting in the air and turning your head first and torquing your body so that you are breaking the board with your left foot. It is important that you break the board before your right foot touches down. Now here is where the 360 comes into play. Once landed your position should end facing the board holder with your left leg forward; thus 360 degrees.

Sort of make sense now?

I should point out that there is no running and there is no jumping involved. Jumping takes away from the kick though I've seen many successfully do this by jumping high but the idea is to keep your head fairly level, just like you would with any other kick. When doing roundhouses and other kicks you never want to be caught jumping in the air as somebody could time you and hit you with a well timed kick/punch that could be devastating. Nice and level, quick with technique with torque breaks the board and how the technique is to be done. Though only time you would jump for a kick/break would be something like the Jump Front Kick.

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 04:47 PM

Quote:

Hi, I have ALWAYS wondered about this type of thing.
I isn't really a 360 degree back kick is it??
It's a bit of a run, skip around, then possible a 180 degree back kick.

It always make me smile when people say they can do 360 degree kicking and don't.

As a matter of fact as odd as it may be it really is 360 degrees because if u start with your right leg forward and do the jump correctly (which is my issue) you will have landed again with your left leg forward resulting in 360 degrees.

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 04:57 PM

Thanks Dereck, That was a great detailed description and I REALLY appreciated that. (No sarcasm intended). But I still think of that as being a 180 degree kick. 180 Degree mid-air spin prior to impact.

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 05:02 PM

mmmm.

I believe that a 360 degree kick should involve spinning 360 degrees in the air , prior to impact.

The only TRUE 360 Jumping kick that I do, is with a Dollyo Chagi. and it goes like this...

You are in a left stance, being crowded by an opponent.
Drop down to what could be described as a Gojung Sogi and plant a left jab in his stomach.
Jump up high and fast, spinning towards your left 360 degrees and catch them with a right Npunde Dollyo Chagi, then land.

This has worked for me in continuous tournaments very nicely.

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/23/07 05:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks Dereck, That was a great detailed description and I REALLY appreciated that. (No sarcasm intended). But I still think of that as being a 180 degree kick. 180 Degree mid-air spin prior to impact.

I totally understand where you are coming from. The only thing 360 is you start on your with your left forward and end with your left forward. The kick is actually just that, 180 degree.
Posted by: EarlWeiss

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/26/07 08:21 AM

With ACL and LCL problems you should not do this kick. Also, to compensate you should be doing quadricep strengthening. A leg extension weight machine is ideal. That being said. Try this. Right leg back. Picture yourself in the middle of a clock, facing 12:00. Turning counterclockwise Pull your right knee forward and up on a 45 degree angle toward 10:00 allowing the the left foot to pivot and looking as much as possible over the left shoulder toward the target as you turn. Use the pulling lifting motion of the right leg to assist the push off with the left as you continue your rotation and kick with the left. Make sure the upper body rotates as much as possible prior to the leg extension.
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/26/07 11:21 AM

As with all flying kicks, 1st start with the kick. If you can do it comfortably, then add the steps of the jump, without the kick. Once you have the mechanics of the jump, then add the kick. IMHO too many people try to do complicated flying kicks or techniques without breaking them down to the basics & the individual parts.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/26/07 02:50 PM

Quote:

Also, to compensate you should be doing quadricep strengthening. A leg extension weight machine is ideal.

That's a good point, leg strengthening can often help with joint injuries. I wouldn't advise leg extensions or curls, they tend to actually put more pressure on the joint than one wants, as well as being a pretty ineffective way of building functional leg strength. The best exercises for building leg strength are the squat and deadlift. Go find a local gym and get them to show you the technique.

Of course, if you have any worries about weight training or doing such a kick, you should consult your doctor/physician first. Only they will be able to give you an accurate assessment of your limits.
Posted by: EarlWeiss

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/26/07 05:29 PM

>>
That's a good point, leg strengthening can often help with joint injuries. I wouldn't advise leg extensions or curls, they tend to actually put more pressure on the joint than one wants, as well as being a pretty ineffective way of building functional leg strength. The best exercises for building leg strength are the squat and deadlift. Go find a local gym and get them to show you the technique.<<<

I am sure you have some basis for your opinion. Here is mine. I have torn both ACLs and had both Knees scoped. While there may be a question of "Functional Leg Strength" For both the post tear pre surgery rehab leg extensions were prescribed. For post surgery the rehab prescribed was basicaly a fancy leg extension machine. The isdea is to strengthen the quadricep to compensate for instability caused by the torn ligament.
Posted by: Leonine

Re: Running Jump 360 backkick? - 02/26/07 06:29 PM

1 inch punch break?

It's entirely body mechanics, it also depends if you're going to be forced to do an actual punch (with the snap of your fist) or...the 1 inch push, which is way more common. Both will require twisting up on the ball of your foot, your hips shooting in time of your punch, your shoulders remaining relaxed, your elbow down etc. The 1 inch punch acts a lot like a regular punch except you don't have the time to gain momentum, so you have to create it with your core.