Training for kickings

Posted by: FightingFeet

Training for kickings - 02/20/07 10:49 AM

Does tying Leg Weights(I'm not really sure if they are called leg weights) onto our legs to practice kickings helps to train our speed and strength of our legs?
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Training for kickings - 02/20/07 11:06 AM

No, it will cause joint damage. Instead try kicking a heavy boxing bag and doing weighted squats.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Training for kickings - 02/20/07 11:56 AM

Correct, never use leg weights. You want to use weights then do them the right way with dumbbell or barbell lifting such as squats, leg presses or deadlifts. Of course just don't pick up weights and attempt these without first knowing the correct technique and form. This is the only way to "strengthen" your legs effectively and safely.

Stronger legs will then help in making you faster but you have to train to be fast. Lift explosively with control and form will aid in this. Then kicking continually with good technique and form will also aid in increasing your speed. Working with a partner for kicking or kick a heavy bag/wave master. Continually application will be the key; just do it over and over.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Training for kickings - 02/20/07 01:30 PM

I like to use elastic cords/bands for speed and explosiveness. Every little bit helps with power. But as stated, the best way to gain strength with your kicks is just plain kicking a wave master.

Re: Training for kickings - 02/20/07 01:47 PM

We've used these same cords/bands to add resistance in our training however I have found that the effects are only temporary unless you are using them all of the time. And if with these nothing compares to actually building muscle with an ongoing weight lifting program and continually kicking.
Posted by: olga

Re: Training for kickings - 02/20/07 02:45 PM

I actually use ankle weights for practicing kicking. When I do it, however, I kick very slow and make sure not to hyper-extend my knees. These exercises have helped my kicking a lot.

Re: Training for kickings - 02/20/07 04:28 PM

Not to say that your exercises have not helped you, but doing them without ankle weights probably would have also improved your kicking as much as the key was you were doing them slow. Doing them slow made you more aware of the technique you were doing so you made sure you were doing them right, plus doing it slow and not to mention your balance. The ankle weight did mimimal if anything and over time all it will do is put more added stress on the ankle joint and tendons which can't be good. It wasn't the weights that helped you but the technique.
Posted by: olga

Re: Training for kickings - 02/20/07 04:56 PM

Right, I don't disagree with that. I used to do the kicks slow without weights, but eventually that became easy. So I added the weights as an additional challenge. It's getting easier now. I only use the weights for side and front thrust kicks. Nothing else.

Thanks for the advice.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Training for kickings - 02/20/07 05:06 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ankle weights are pretty good for static active stretching. Thats about all they're good for thats TKD related(aside from maybe core exercises).

Re: Training for kickings - 02/20/07 05:34 PM

I'm not a big fan of ankle or wrist weights. They don't build you any muscle but only stress the area they are attached to. If you want to build muscle you have to do it directly to the muscle with proper exercises. Saying they help is like saying if I overate and gained 10 lbs that I am becoming stronger because I'm carrying that extra weight ... which we know is not true. If you want to increase the strength of your muscles then you have to use proper exercises that directly work the muscle using proper form and technique.

For any stretching, I would suggest using body weight only for resistance. Your own body weight is more then sufficient to stretch you satisfactorily. By adding weights you can over stretch areas … much like bouncing while trying to stretch which we all no is not good. After stretching, the resistance you need will come from the actual act of using those muscles.