Jumping back hook?

Posted by: FightingFeet

Jumping back hook? - 02/19/07 09:53 AM

i can basically do a back hook (not really high, probably up to opponent's chest level), but i just cannot do my back hook fast enough. Anyone have any tips on mastering back hook and doing jumping back hook? Is Jumping back hook effective for street fighting?
Posted by: Barad

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/19/07 01:01 PM

FF,

At the risk of upsetting the Taekwondo censors who are lurking, I will skip the first question and answer the second-no, jumping back hook is most probably a complete waste of time for non-tournament fighting and probably a waste of time for tournament fighting for most people. Anyone who tells you this kick is great "in the street" has most likely not done any fighting outside of a sport environment.

If you want to "street fight", first advice is probably don't. If you must, then work on close punching, elbows, headbutts, poking and grappling (or a least getting out of grabs/chokes/strangles and getting up again quickly!) Again, I stand to be corrected by the Taekwondo people, who may be different from the ones I trained with on occasion, but I do not think Taekwondo emphasises these techniques.

B.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/19/07 01:08 PM

Barad, he didn't ask you for "Is it street effective?". He asked how to do it.

Stay on topic.

I'm warning you

-Taison out

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/19/07 01:17 PM

Again, check your eyes out mate, he asked specifically whether it worked for "streetfighting". His exact words were "Is Jumping back hook effective for street fighting?"
Do you actually read through any of the posts you respond to?

B.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/19/07 01:20 PM

Quote:

Barad, he didn't ask you for "Is it street effective?". He asked how to do it.

Stay on topic.

Quote from FF:
Quote:

Is Jumping back hook effective for street fighting?

Apologies are in order Taison

For your first question FightingFeet, doing a back hook kick chest height is not very high, indeed, when I have seen it done in sparring, it is almost always to the head. The best way to look at the kick, is as a back kick with a rapid snap back at the knee. If you practice your back kicks and jumping back kicks, then add in the hook once you become good at the back kick, then it should be easier to improve.

As for your second question, I have yet to see how a back hook could be "street" effective, it's a pretty weak kick and can only do damage to the head, which involves kicking high, something that is always risky enough, but which seems daft for such a weak kick. Keep it for sparring if you must, but forget it as far as self defense is concerned.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/19/07 01:23 PM

Sorry, was skim reading. My eyes are failing me these days.

Quote:

Do you actually read through any of the posts you respond to?

I actually do, when it's not my night-shifts. Just me being tired, sorry dude.

-Taison out

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/19/07 01:24 PM

No worries.

B.
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/19/07 02:07 PM

Hi Fighting Feet.

It sounds like you need to do a little more stretching before you attempt a jumping spinning hook kick.

You really need to be able to kick Nopunde before attempting to combine it with a jump. Otherwise your lack of flexibility will cause you to overcompensate and overbalance. It could be that Box Splits are the order of the day for you.

With regards to using the jump spinning hook kick for Street fighting... Fisrtly are you talking Self-Defence or Street Fighting?

Cheers
GriffyGriff
Posted by: tkd_dude

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/19/07 09:41 PM

I wouldn't really want to try a jumping spinning hook kick in competition or in a street fight. as soon as you jump you open yourself up to counterattack. If you catch your opponent off guard or off balance, then it might be worth a try. As for in a street fight, my master instructor told me a story about getting assaulted in the street. It was even icy on the street. He did a spinning hook kick and hit the attacker. The guy fell, got up, and ran off. If you keep your feet anchored, that kick is a great kick, it has a lot of power. Jumping... maybe not so much.
As for how to get more height, lower your stance when you start and execute the kick. Try swinging your arms with you for momentum. Also place your foot when you step 180 degrees away from your target.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: FightingFeet

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/19/07 11:23 PM

Quote:

With regards to using the jump spinning hook kick for Street fighting... Fisrtly are you talking Self-Defence or Street Fighting?

Erm sorry GriffyGriff, i'm talking about self defence.

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/19/07 11:25 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't really want to try a jumping spinning hook kick in competition or in a street fight. as soon as you jump you open yourself up to counterattack. If you catch your opponent off guard or off balance, then it might be worth a try.

I find that a jump spinning hook kick works wonders in continuous sparring competitions especially against aggressive opponents who like to close you down. If you are hemmed in, duck down a plant a leading jab into his mid-section, (Just above his belt), as this arrests his forward motion slightly. Then jump up and slightly backwards and connect with a spinning hook kick to his head. I find that the attacker is now a little more cautious, which is nice.

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/20/07 10:44 PM

Quote:

i'm talking about self defence.

If that's the case, then don't worry, it's not a problem.

Train as hard and as honest as you can.
(Honest training, involves honestly analysing the effectiveness FOR YOU - AT THIS MOMENT (for your height, weight, reach, current level of ability etc), for any given technique). Train at least 3 times a week and with full physical and emotional intent.

Training in this way, will ingrain these techniques into your psyche. You should work towards the sensation that when your hands or feet decide its time to hit, it hits.

Teach your body to a high degree and then let it decide what to do.

Reading this, I must admit it may sound a little sh*t and esoteric, but trust me, this is good stuff.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/20/07 11:25 PM

It's not a good idea to turn your to do jumping spinning kicks in a self defense or street fight situation. For one turning your back on an assailant makes you blind to his attack. Two, jumping in the air even for a slight bit puts you in a highly vulnerable position. Three, the difficulty of the kick done under stress makes it even more difficult than if say you were to do it in a competitive sparring match. This is why sticking to basics is prefered. Five, the combination of any of variables done together in a technique for self defense can only lower your chances of being successful. That being said, the chances of applying and successfully connecting with a technique is already slim, why add to the possibility of lowering your chances of survival with a technique such as the jumping spinning back kick.
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Jumping back hook? - 02/21/07 11:46 AM

I would doubt its effectiveness in a street situation, especially given that you are having difficulty doing it.

As far as doing any kick or flying kick, it is a matter of breaking it down to its parts. First, you must increase your flexibility. Then work the kick itself, from a standing position. You should also work the jump, without the kick. Then work on putting it all together, under the guidance of watchful & helpful eyes, eventually aided by your friends, the mirror & target pads.