speedbag in taekwondo

Posted by: Dudley32

speedbag in taekwondo - 12/31/06 07:02 PM

first of all I am somewhat confused on what the actual practical use of speedbag training is. obviously it is arm work and me training wtf taekwondo is this just simply a waste of my time. Or does the timing or whatever is gained give me any sort of edge on comp.?

Matt
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: speedbag in taekwondo - 12/31/06 08:01 PM

Well, a speed bag will definitely improve the speed of your punches. However, if you're only training for TKD competition, that won't affect your performance much.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: speedbag in taekwondo - 12/31/06 08:14 PM

Quote:

first of all I am somewhat confused on what the actual practical use of speedbag training is.

Me too.

Even after learning how to use one, I still don't see any relationship to practical fighting skill.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: speedbag in taekwondo - 01/01/07 12:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

first of all I am somewhat confused on what the actual practical use of speedbag training is.

Me too.

Even after learning how to use one, I still don't see any relationship to practical fighting skill.

I'm pretty sure that dexterity and hand speed are a worthy traits for people who punch. Apparently, repeatedly moving your hands at maximum speed will gradually improve the speed of your punches. Heavy bag = power; speed bag = speed. Pretty straightforward principle.

Although frankly, I'd prefer to work on power over speed. The speed of your footwork is more important than the speed of your punches. A heavy bag is much more worthwhile training with.