Forms and their applications

Posted by: TeK9

Forms and their applications - 11/04/06 08:16 AM

I urge everyone to go to the Forms and Applications forum and take a look at Shotokan katas thread. There you will see demonstrations of Taekwondos predecessor.

Tell me is this how you are taught forms applications? Have you ever seen forms applied in this way?

Many of the examples show demonstrations of how kata (forms) are applied to self defense. Do many of you know these techniques or have applied them in this fashion?
What do you guys think? While these forms are not the Chang Hon, Taeguek,or Palgwe. They are very identical to the Pyung Ahn which belong to Tang Soo Do one of the original korean kwans. The sequences may be different but the techniques are exactly the same. So go take a look at how karate was practice and see if its simlar to what you do today.

-Tek
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Forms and their applications - 11/04/06 08:59 AM

That post on the Forms/Applications forum was outstanding.

The reason I left TKD was because I had a small idea this stuff existed in TKD, but all we did was spar. I wanted to learn good SD skills. It sort of bugs me that there is so much there, but it is very rare you find it taught in TKD.

People who study TKD need to be educated in this. As students, you should learn about how to apply your forms/patterns. You should learn the SD aspects of TKD. It is up to us to put pressure on all the orginzations out there to teach students about their art.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Forms and their applications - 11/04/06 09:28 AM

I was educated on this. My instructors constantly pointed out the practical applications of all those funny techniques. Looking at patterns after understanding what the techniques are all about, they look totally different. And whenever I see someone doing them slowly or as if there is some spiritual/metaphorical significance to the movements it just looks silly to me.

I wrote a long discussion about applications in WTF TKD on this forum around 6 months ago, but I don't think I'll be able to locate it.
Posted by: StuartA

Re: Forms and their applications - 11/08/06 10:30 AM

Quote:

Tell me is this how you are taught forms applications? Have you ever seen forms applied in this way?

I have

Quote:

It sort of bugs me that there is so much there, but it is very rare you find it taught in TKD.

There is really no reason for it not to be anymore!

http://www.raynerslanetkd.com/HaeSul/HaeSul.html

Stuart