yet another example of peoples stupidity

Posted by: retrety

yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/25/06 07:03 PM

i know that all this forum needs is another example of what people think tae kwon do is so i decided to post these

the name of this completely disgusts me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gcWAb5Dvz4

and this one is posting all the knockouts some guy came across and calling this from what it sounds like the entire side of tae kwon do, cool though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-V3aplGE_8

and i know this one has nothing to do with tae kwon do but i might as well post it here while i can. its just alot of martial arts mess ups
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in6OXI7WeZo

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/25/06 07:04 PM

im not too sure if the title fits but oh well
Posted by: Dereck

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/26/06 12:19 AM

I've seen these all. The first one, I actually like it ... as long as people understand that this is the "sport" side of Taekwondo ... but really I couldn't care a less if they do or don't. The second, again same thing. The third, just comical.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/26/06 01:04 AM

How is this stupidity?

If you're saying that going onto the mats with someone who's going to try to knock you out... well, that might be a bit stupid, but there's benefit from doing so too.
Posted by: GreyHam

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/26/06 07:09 AM

the last one seems to be a good example of mcdojo at work

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/26/06 07:49 PM

the stupidity part did not come out how it sounded in my head. i was trying to say of how quick people are to judge what they see. but now that i think about it i guess whenever i saw the name of what is tae kwon do fitted with only competition sparring videos i went quick to assume what they were saying. on the first video i still dont agree with the name. i have nothing against olympic and other competition style sparring, its fun. its just that i want people to understand that tae kwon do is just a game of sport. sorry about any confusion caused or for anything else people dont agree with.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/26/06 09:26 PM

Second link, first knockout:

"What the **** are you counting for, ref? Get a medic!"
Posted by: VDJ

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/26/06 09:47 PM

"its just that I want people to understand that tae kwon do is just a game of sport."

O.K.,Did you leave the word "NOT" out from in between "is" & "just" ? Yes, like many martial arts there is a "SPORTING" side to the art. But it is also a viable self defense system. It is NOT just a game of sport. Many of us here put in serious blood,sweat, pain and dedication to study the art side, not the sporting side. I have used TKD in actual SD situations. I am also a proponent of cross training. What really gets my goat is how TKD is always the art to get bashed by other arts while most of the TKD practioners I know are considerate of the other arts. It's not to say that there aren't any, we are even guilty of bashing each other (the old ITF is better than WTF and vice versa thing). But when I visit the parts of this board, the majority of the bashing is on TKD, yet it is the most practiced art in the world !!!!!!!! O.K., end of rant !

VDJ
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/26/06 09:55 PM

Uhh, TKD is most certainly not a game of sport. At least the South and North Korean militaries would disagree with you.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/27/06 12:22 AM

Agreed, agreed and agreed.

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/27/06 06:25 PM

actually yes i did accidentally forget the word NOT. i would never purposely say tkd is just a game of sport. i would never go bash another martial art especially in a forum dedicated to it. i would also never put down an art i study. again sorry for my mistake.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/27/06 07:15 PM

Thank you for the clarification. Although you may not bash it (especially in a forum dedicated to it), it does happen. Thank you again for your clarification.

VDJ
Posted by: StuartA

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/27/06 08:47 PM

Quote:

"its just that I want people to understand that tae kwon do is just a game of sport."

O.K.,Did you leave the word "NOT" out from in between "is" & "just" ? Yes, like many martial arts there is a "SPORTING" side to the art. But it is also a viable self defense system. It is NOT just a game of sport. Many of us here put in serious blood,sweat, pain and dedication to study the art side, not the sporting side. I have used TKD in actual SD situations. I am also a proponent of cross training. What really gets my goat is how TKD is always the art to get bashed by other arts while most of the TKD practioners I know are considerate of the other arts. It's not to say that there aren't any, we are even guilty of bashing each other (the old ITF is better than WTF and vice versa thing). But when I visit the parts of this board, the majority of the bashing is on TKD, yet it is the most practiced art in the world !!!!!!!! O.K., end of rant !

VDJ

Here, Here!

Well said VJD

Stuart
Posted by: gregc618

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/27/06 11:10 PM

CLAP!! CLAP!! CLAP!!!!!... Well said! I thought that same thing. It would seem that TKD gets bashed alot while practioners of other martial arts seem to always want respect for what they practice, all while thye bash TKD.

Makes me wonder what some got from training as it relates to respecting others at times.
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: yet another example of peoples stupidity - 09/27/06 11:34 PM

I finished your book, cover to cover.
Great stuff!