PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!!

Posted by: jonnyboxcutter

PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/21/06 12:37 AM

So I roll into the school to get everything set up for Promotion. Pull the table and Chairs out, get the clipboards, etc. Typical.

I Dress out figuring I will need to fight (it’s common for our school to have BB fight advanced colored belts), what the heck I’ll use this time to do some form work. I run through Pawlgue 1 – 8, basi yung, korio, kumgang starting light to get warmed up and by #5 picking up the pace and ending with full power. I sit down and stretch out.

The students start filtering in about 1 hour or 45 min before the scheduled start. As things get going they hand out the promotion papers used for grading, the GM wants the students to fill them out. The head BB walks by and hands me one… WTF is this!?!?!

BB “GM says that you are taking your test today”

I walk over to GM, “excuse me sir, BB gave me a test paper, I’m sure this is a mistake correct?”

GM “Why would that be a mistake?”

JBC “I don’t feel that I am ready to take a test, I have been gone for a long time and I have only been back a few months”

GM – Blank stare

JBC “bu… bu… but I don’t have anything to break”

GM nods to the corner of the room and there lays a stack of boards.

JBC (under my breath) “%)(& #*)* %&)& QE%( &^Q_ W(E& _Q(E &*R_ (QE* &RT$” (Yes, that is an exact quote)

Yea, I get called to take my 2nd degree test and have only been back a few months (since very late april). My job is such that when it breaks loose I am under water in a bad way so in these few months I have missed about a month or so of time.

When we line up he starts his monologue. Some where in there he says in a fight on the street it is not what you knew, or what you are learning, it is what you know RIGHT THIS SECOND…

My test was very fragmented. I was the first out to do basics, etc.. He wanted an example to set the tone. When I get called up and told what to do auto pilot kicks in. when I am told to sit down and I want to die, I can’t breath I was told later it looked like I was going to get sick or pass out.

White belts, Yellow belts, Green belts, Blue belts…

GM “JBC, Do you remember when I said I want an example”

JBC “YES SIR!!!”

I get called out to do Pawlgue – 2. I remember starting it and then I was standing there locked holding for the command to relax. Again I sit down and my chest is burning.

Red belts…

GM “JBC – Basi yung”

After a few more torturous hours, min, second – honestly I have no clue he calls out one thing after another – lots of combos, stepping, you name it. It all went by like a blur.

He then calls up another 2nd degree - one that I know fights every Friday (Friday class is hard core all the time). He bow us in “NO CONTACT – GO” We proceed to beat the hell out of each other. After a few traded shots he stops us and reminds us that it is no contact. One of them must have hurt cuz when he restarted us the other guy stayed way out of my reach – at this point I am almost out of gas and use my legs to keep him out of my reach (one more round of hard fighting and I would not have made it)

GM “JBC, Breaking” – 4 board side kick - pop, 2 board turning side kick – pop, 1 board spinning heal - pop.

By this point, I am done, mentally, physically, spiritually done. I can go no more.

He walks over to me w/ a brand new BB with Name, Rank, School name embroidered. He unties my belt and ties the new one on me – Yi Don…

I think next promo I am staying home…

-JBC-
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/21/06 01:14 AM

Good story. Well I guess you were wrong, and you really were ready to promote. Also from the way you described it, your GM made you knock off a couple of pounds. I think I'm sure it was worth it, since you got yourself a brand new BB!

Now do what I do, and take a week off from class after promotion to pig out! Gain that weight back!
Posted by: Dereck

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/21/06 01:29 AM

Congrads and good for you. I wish we did it this way and it was a surprise and I just had to do it ... however all black belt testing is done together and never with the colored belts. It starts on a Saturday where you have to come in a head of time to do the endurance test. If you pass that then it is the test of patterns, one-steps, sparring and then breaks. Then if you pass this then you must do the same test again for the Provincial requirements a few weeks later. Then and only then if you pass both are you a black belt or higher.

Yup, I'd just like to be surprises and told I was testing without me even knowing I was testing and that would take a load off of my chest. Again, good for you.

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/21/06 02:06 AM

Trust me I almost “Dropped” a pound or two when I got the blank look and realized I was stuck. The thing is the second stripe should be on the belt and it shouldn’t be brown…

The problem Dereck, we DON’T do it this way. All the BB that I work out with looked as shocked as I think I did when they found out I was testing. I was told repeatedly “I’ve never seen this before”

I guess I did set the example though; I had three random spectators tell me that I was “making the room shake” when I did my forms.

I wish I would have known, though. My X wife has ALL of my old demo, promo, screwing around tapes and pics and wont give them back. With the exception of high level info (most of it posted) the test went by and like I said I was on autopilot. My body is still shaking and I left the school at 5:30pm (it is currently 12:55am). My right shin looks like some one took a bat to it. I have bruises on my arms, legs, chest, and hands that I can not explain. I quite literally got the crap kicked out of me and I can’t remember it in detail. I will be checking with some of the parents to see if anybody taped me so I can see what happened.

The up side is, it will be along time to 3rd degree…

-JBC-

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/21/06 12:31 PM

Dereck, what does your BB tests consist of?

Mine was not typical (or at least from what I remember from back in the day). The fragmentation I think was more so I did not grind myself into the matt and gave me a few min recovery time.

One thing that is for sure, our tests are not even close to consistent, there is a rough idea of what you will have to do, but the GM does not follow a standard. When I started tests were something like this

1st 2nd
You would have to go get GM’s rock – you had to run about 1 mile down the road and get his rock then run back (there was an aggressive time limit on this but I don’t remember what it was).

This was done in uniform so when you came back you could take your shoes off and put the chest gear on; there was a line of BB warm and ready to fight. Typically you would have to fight 3-4 big guys individually, then 3-4 fast guys individually, the last one stayed there and then one more was added (2 fast guys at once). Once they had you warmed up (or softened up), your test started. The actual test was all over the map.

3rd
You would have to go get a time card punched at the police station (GM is a retired cop). You had to have the time card punched by a certain time, and you had to be back by a certain time (approx 8 miles total). Since you did this in uniform it was a test in itself (bad neighborhood).

Then the same thing with the fighting (more guys though)

Again the test was all over the map - I saw a guy have to do his out of the same riding stance for about 2 hours .

I have not seen any BB tests since I have been back so I don’t know how they work anymore.

-JBC-

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/21/06 01:14 PM

As I am currently in the mode of training for black belt, I can only give you what my requirements are, thought I have attended an upteenth amount of tests to help out, I just don't know for sure what all of the requirements are for 2nd Dan and higher. For black belt the following is required:

As an adult I must be able to repeatedly perform all of my required patterns, one-steps, sparring techniques and breaks. I must attend black belt training classes. I must help at each of the tests and be expected to be called up to perform the requirements for that belt level. I must keep a log book and have other black belts randomly test me on all of these items and they will record in this book things I need to work on. On top of that I must repeatedly prove I can do the Endurance Test with no breaks as this will be required testing day. The Endurance Test for us is:

* 3 Kilometer Run (2 miles)
* 50 Flat Hand Push Ups
* 100 Sit Ups
* 50 Stand Ups Continuous
* 5 Chin Ups
* 12 Minute of Stairs
* 1000 Continuous Skipping

Then I also must complete 2 essays with one being the history of Taekwondo and the second about my experiences and how it has helped in my life

Then at the test I will have to show up early and do the Endurance Test. I will have to perform the Koryo pattern as a group and then will have to perform random patterns (Fundimental, Basic and Taegeuks 1-8) as called out that will be different then the others around me. Then I will have to do One-Steps 1 - 9 followed immediately by full contact sparring where I will have to show every technique in the required time limit. And finally I will have to perform 8 different board breaks with the following to choose from:

1. Elbow or Punch or Palm Strike
2. Front Kick or Step Side Kick
3. Axe Kick
4. Back Kick or 360 Back Kick
5. Jump Front Kick
6. Turning Kick
7. Back Round House or 360 Back Round House
8. Knife Hand or Ridge Hand (power or speed)

This has to be done within a set period of time and you have only two attempts per board. For everything wrong within the test you have a percentage taken off. You must have a minimum of 85% to pass.

This test is done with our school and two other affiliated schools owned by my Instructor's partners/friends. Plus there is a 4th school that joins us for testing. The testers are the heads of each of the schools BUT your own Instructor cannot test/judge you. You will find out after this if you passed or failed ... and yes people do fail. THEN just when you think it is all done then you must test "again" in two to four weeks but this time for the WTF Province test that has every school in the Province of Alberta attending. The test is not as long or gruelling and you are not required to show up early to do the endurance test again. Then when you pass this you are then a black belt (or higher). You are then awarded your new uniform and two belts (one in English and one in Korean). Then months down the road you receive your WTF certificate from Korea with your log number in the WTF records.

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/21/06 02:35 PM

I have to go to the office now so I don’t have time to say much, but please explain to me what you feel the strengths of your style of structured test vs the weakness of our seemingly whimsical testing style. I will respond in kind – not wanting a flame war, I just want to know your opinion of the two. I have left out some detail that I can add first if you would like (it will just have to be later).

As far as failing the test. We had a 15 year old 1st BB who got a big head. Took a year off then came back w/ a major attitude. Kept on the GM about wanting to test. Finally GM said ok and everybody freaked out wondering why. The kid did not have to run, the test started off with him in chest gear, he was offered one more shot at backing down – he got all huffy and said he was ready. GM asked one of the hot shot competition fighters to suit up. They bowed in he said go – the CF threw one round house and KO’ed the kid. His mom started crying and totally went nuts, fortunately the kids dad was there and also a BB he had no problem with it at all. When he came to he was told he failed.

-JBC-

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/21/06 03:11 PM

Quote:

I have to go to the office now so I don’t have time to say much, but please explain to me what you feel the strengths of your style of structured test vs the weakness of our seemingly whimsical testing style. I will respond in kind – not wanting a flame war, I just want to know your opinion of the two. I have left out some detail that I can add first if you would like (it will just have to be later).

To be honest I don't see it this way. I have heard of other people's test doing far less and others doing far more. I wish ours was easier and that from class time the Instructor would just hand belts over when he thought you were capable of everything above and beyond the minimal standards. I hate testing and it gives me a lot of stress.

The colored belt tests we don't have to do the endurance or do a Provincial Test, plus you only have to show our current pattern, though you have to do all of your One-Steps to the point but also only have to do our one break. Sparring we will need to show our current skills but you use more then that for the 2 - 3 minutes ... and if not then you do it again. If you over dominate your opponent you do it again. If you don't work hard enough you do it again. For myself getting prepared for black belt, I have to attend and do pretty much everything as preparation for the black belt test.

I see no negatives or positives to how people test as long as the person doing the test or receiving the belt has the skills needed for that level. It would honestly mean more for me to be pulled aside and told that I have done the requirements and have exceeded them so therefore I am to receive a new belt. I would even go as far to say I like that idea what happened to you where you were surprised to be testing ... this would be more up my alley as I would not have time to stress about it and would just have to do it ... this I could handle far more then over thinking things.

You had asked what we do for testing for black belt so I provided that information. I did not think I came off as saying yours wasn't up to par and ours was better as that was not my intention. I would never want you or others to take offense to what I say ... unless I am upfront with you and want you to take it that way ... and this is not even anywhere in that realm.

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/21/06 03:21 PM

I also wanted to add to my post. We are a Taekwondo school and I accept that as that is the main focus and that is what our ranking system is based on. However I wish it also included other criteria such as our grappling skills, self defense, boxing skills, clinch, knees, elbows or what have you. We train these but as they are not Taekwondo they are not taken into consideration. Don't get me wrong, I have much to learn about these and more but I probably excell more at grappling then I do actual Taekwondo.

I can certainly understand this as the two other schools affiliated with us do not have these in their curriculum. One doesn't have them at all and the other does but teaches them as a separate class on Tuesday and Saturdays and is extra. This way those who want to take it do so, and those who don't want to learn Taekwondo can come to these classes only. We are just luckier then most and have it all of the time. Testing with our other two schools plus a 4th that is not affiliated (that do mostly sparring), it would be hard for them to grade us when they may not understand things well enough to do so.
Posted by: oldman

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/21/06 04:47 PM

Quote:

My X wife has ALL of my old demo, promo, screwing around tapes and pics and wont give them back.

"screwing around tapes"?..... Can you blame her?

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/21/06 05:41 PM

I am sorry if this did not come across correctly (lack of time to explain on my part I think). I was not challenging you. I have only been exposed to our type of testing; I have my opinions on the strength and weaknesses of this format. Since I have not been in a structured test I can also see the weaknesses, but I don’t know the strengths. I was assuming you also would see the ups and downs of your style. I seriously just wanted your opinion since yours is so much different from ours.

Again all I was looking for was an honest opinion since it does seem that with the testing exception we have similar MA backgrounds.

As a side note the GM talked about how it was where you where pulled aside and given your belt when you where ready and lamented doing that in certain circumstances.

As far as ups and Downs for our style of testing,

Ups - you only know the basic requirements for the rank, you have NO CLUE what will actually be on the test. Basically you need to be ready for anything and everything

Using my test as an example – I had a student that has been with the school since the early 70’s tell me that he has never seen the GM do this before.

Down side – consistency – we have none. This sometimes shows in the students. It would be my assumption that this would be one of your strong points for your style of testing – I would assume your BB would be of consistent quality.

The detail I left out was you are required to have Senior BB sign your testing paper approving you for testing. The number of signatures required varies on what rank you are going for. This was not a requirement for me, I can only assume it is due to the GM telling me I was going and not me asking if I can go.

I believe the reason for BB-Color belt integration is so as a color belt you get to see what is coming.

I hope this helps explain what I was asking for.

-JBC-

As an aside – your comment about failing the test reminded me of the kid getting KNOCKED THE $*%& OUT. Nobody expected that to happen and it kind of hit home for everybody I think. – lets just say test where taken a bit more seriously after that

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/21/06 05:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My X wife has ALL of my old demo, promo, screwing around tapes and pics and wont give them back.

"screwing around tapes"?..... Can you blame her?

You know, if it was just the one with the gerbil I would be ok with that…

I've said too much…

-JBC-

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/22/06 01:37 AM

Thanks for explaining JBC. I have never really looked at ours to see what the ups and downs are and have just accepted what is done. I feel odd for even thinking of it as I feel I would be dishonoring my Instructor by questioning how he does things. However I know him to be a fair and just man and know that I could freely speak to him about anything and he would take the time to explain things. Even if we did not agree he would be civil and nothing would change between the two of us.

The Ups: It is structured and you know what you will be testing for and so therefore can prepare for this.

The Downs: It is structured and you know what you will be testing for and so therefore can prepare for this. Plus it is only basics you have to show so there are some that just squeak through that probably shouldn't. Some can't becaue of physical reasons and others just don't put that much into it.

Myself with physical injuries I still have pushed on but I know I could have done better, but my motives are good. I have good drive and determination but realize that I need to work harder at sparring thought I excell in our school with grappling, however this is not tested. Earlier in my training I did miss one board on a back kick but had enough to pass. This bothered me as it was my strong leg that missed. I actually failed my first red belt test due to I could not do either side for my 360 spin back kick so had to retest 6 weeks later which I made sure I passed.

There are probably others but consistancy is certainly a pro to the way things are done. Well structured and very thorough but again some can slip through the cracks by doing the basics. They may never exceed at this ... but then again I may not either. I however have the drive and determination but I put a lot of that into grappling, falling techniques, one-steps, clinches, joint manipulation, strength, speed ... and this takes from what I should be putting into sparring or forms.

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/22/06 02:39 AM

One thing I would like to know “One-Steps 1 – 9” please explain…

I know One-Steps to be like the following
Attacker – Defender both at junbee (SP?)
Attacker – Steps back w/ right foot into a front stance w/ Down block – Kihapp (this means they are ready)
Defender – Kihappp (This means they are ready)
Attacker – Steps forward with right foot and throws a right punch always to the center (unless the defender requests a high or low punch)
Defender – performs a block – counter combination –Kihapp to signal he is done.

There is always a required amount that increases as you advance. This can get nasty come promo time if GM wants it to.

As far as stressing over promo, I think your type would kill me. I am a hyper perfectionist and would beat myself to death over the reqs. Our style I just look at as another class only this one has spectators – I do still stress a bit but not as much as yours would bother me.

One thing you would really dig about our school, anything learned in class is tested – this includes Hapkido and TKD. I have had the pleasure of working out with several different styles; this also can be integrated if you can do it correctly. An example would be in one steps, an arm bar is not a finishing move in our system, where as an arm break would be. So if you stop at the arm bar it does not count. So if you know some Kungfu etc and can make it fit the rules (finish the fight) it is accepted.

As far as the “Why” it is in my nature to always ask this. It is the reason why I really love forms work. Why am I doing this, why should my hands be here, etc, etc, etc. I have several times questioned the reason for things with the GM – politely and respectfully of course

As a side note, I got some interesting new today. I am getting a scheduled class again (one of the best time slots for our school too), and I am going to the “Big City” to the GM’s instructor’s school for a forms clinic (cost covered by the school) - I am looking forward to that one.

I gotta go for now, I have an early customer appointment.

-JBC-
Posted by: gregc618

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/22/06 07:50 AM

At my school Blk Blts and White Blts are scheduled in at the same time that morning, but they don't test at the same time. Its not until 11:30a that color belts start testing for promotions.

Annnnnnnnd, you were rdy to test. From April up to now you had close to 5 months worth of prep time. Shoooooooooooot, I wish I could get those kinds of breaks between test.

Hope you passed!!.. And congrats if you did!

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/22/06 12:33 PM

Quote:

I posted this before so will try to find it so I don't have to rewrite them.

Quote:

As far as stressing over promo, I think your type would kill me. I am a hyper perfectionist and would beat myself to death over the reqs. Our style I just look at as another class only this one has spectators – I do still stress a bit but not as much as yours would bother me.

It does me as well. At green belt level I almost hyperventalated while waiting until I calmed myself. There are parents and people watching and we all sit to the side and when your name is called you get up, say sir (or ma'am), bow and then run to where they designate you to stand to perform your techiniques. In forms sometime I even forget to breath as I am so stressed. By the time the forms are finished and I do the one-steps I have calmed some what. Sparring however always stresses me as I don't enjoy it. Breaking depending on my confidence will be stressful or not.

Quote:

One thing you would really dig about our school, anything learned in class is tested – this includes Hapkido and TKD. I have had the pleasure of working out with several different styles; this also can be integrated if you can do it correctly. An example would be in one steps, an arm bar is not a finishing move in our system, where as an arm break would be. So if you stop at the arm bar it does not count. So if you know some Kungfu etc and can make it fit the rules (finish the fight) it is accepted.

In our one steps we do have the elbow break as well and you have to make sure that you get this up against your knee properly.

Quote:

As far as the “Why” it is in my nature to always ask this. It is the reason why I really love forms work. Why am I doing this, why should my hands be here, etc, etc, etc. I have several times questioned the reason for things with the GM – politely and respectfully of course

You sound much like myself. I always ask why so that I can better understand it. I hate going through the motions just to mimick what others are doing. I have to know more and is one of the biggest reasons I have learned so much and found out years ago that we were blending Taekwondo, Hapkido, JJJ, BJJ and other techniques. For the general masses in our school they just think it is Taekwondo as they don't know better.

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/23/06 02:50 AM

Quote:

Annnnnnnnd, you were rdy to test. From April up to now you had close to 5 months worth of prep time. Shoooooooooooot, I wish I could get those kinds of breaks between test.

Hope you passed!!.. And congrats if you did!

Yea, I passed, still not sure why…

Also, if you only look at the calendar, yea, there is 5 months. In reality, with work and vacation, there is only about 2 ˝ month of training time. After 14 years off, trust me you don’t want that kind of break between tests (especially if it is a surprise).

The requirements where easy, the stamina how ever was killing me…

-JBC-

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/23/06 12:59 PM

Quote:

Here is what we do JBC:

The One-Step Sparring we do in our school is done with partners and are patterns that have a Hapkido influence. As colored belts there are 9 different patterns. They start out as such:

A. There is always an Attacker and a Defender.
B. The Attacker will first attack with the right and then the left and then the two switch roles.
C. To Start the Attacker ki-ups and goes into a low section block.
D. When the Defender is ready they will ki-up.
C. The Attacker will step in and punch towards the Defender's jaw/chin.

Understand that the more advanced you are the more aggressive you are to be and are to actually connect, plus the faster and more natural it looks.

1. Defender steps off to the side blocking the punch with a knife hand block with their left and a right hand punch to the Attacker's jaw.

2. Defender steps off to the side and uses a knife hand block for the punch and uses a knife hand strike with their right hand to the neck/collar bone. They then grab and pull the Attacker’s arm forward and deliver an right elbow strike to the Attacker’s chin/jaw

3. Defender steps off to the side and uses a knife hand block for the punch and punches to the attackers jaw with their right hand. Grabbing hold of the Attacker's arm with their left hand the Defender will step to make their body as one and sweep the attackers legs. The Attacker will use one arm falling techniques and slap the ground with their free arm. Meantime the Defender turns the arm and places the elbow against their knee to break it and punches to the Attacker’s head area … Attacker should get arm up to defend this attack.

4. Defender’s right leg steps back into an L-stance and knife hand blocks with their left hand. They then grab and pull the attacker’s arm and step in with a right elbow strike to the Attacker’s ribs/kidney area.

5. Defender steps off to the side slightly while bringing their left leg in so that it jams the attacker’s right leg while at the same time blocking the punch with a left handed knife hand strike and a right handed knife hand strike to their neck/collar bone. This is immediately followed up with the left hand sliding up to their collar and the right hand grabbing hold of the other collar and driving your right knee into their groin. This is immediately followed by pulling the Attacker forward so that the must use front falling techniques to break their fall (must turn head to the side so as not to smash nose into the floor). This is then followed by a downward right elbow strike to the spine/upper middle back.

6. Defender’s left leg steps back into an L-stance and a knife hand blocks with their right hand. They then grab the arm with first the right and then stepping in with the left and grabbing on as if like a baseball bat and turning the arm over so the elbow is facing down. They then step under the arm and while coming up while pulling the arm down so as to break the elbow.

7. Defender steps off and then jams in (to knock off balance) with a left handed knife hand block to the punch and a right handed knife hand strike to the neck/collar bone while their left leg goes to the outside of the attacker’s right leg. To further put them off balance they grab the arm and pull them forward with their left hand and at the same time sweep their legs out from under them with their right arm. Attacker has to use one arm falling techniques again here. The Defender turns the arm so the elbow is against the knee for a break and downward knife hand strikes the attacker’s throat. The Attacker should get an arm up for a guard.

Here is a "photo" of me working with my partner when I was a red belt for my test to black stripe. It is blurred and doesn't show much but I thought I'd throw it in anyways. I have just swept him with my arm and as he is falling I am positioning his arm against my knee for the break and then will make the knife hand strike to his throat.

8. Defender steps back with their left foot into an L-stance and blocks with a right-handed knife hand block. Grabbing hold of the arm the defender steps in to make the bodies as one and sweeps the Attacker’s legs out while striking the attackers back to ensure that they must fall forward. The Attacker must use front falling skills with one arm and also turn head to the side so as not to smash nose into floor. Once on ground the defender locks the arm onto back and places weight down so that it can’t move and makes it “very” uncomfortable to the Attacker. Then the Defender slides his free hand up over the head to either pull the hair or insert fingers into eyes sockets and pull back until the attackers submits by tapping out.

9. Defender shoots to the side and blocks punch with a palm block followed up with two punches to the floating ribs followed by a roundhouse to the stomach and then a stepside kick to the back of the knee knocking the Attacker to the ground (who must use falling techniques). This is followed up with a bladed foot/heel strike to the neck of the fallen Attacker.

These are pre-arranged drills but I have found them extremely valueable in my training. The falling techniques alone are beneficial, not to mention the judging of distance, speed and control. The higher the colored belt you go the more it is emphasized to use contact, though controlled. Some of us have agreements to go all out to a point where we feel it afterwards.
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/23/06 01:13 PM

In order to help this drill become more effective, with respect to realism, try these simply modifications:
1- attacker does not step back before attacking, they should attack from a natural standing position, like a pararrel stance, without 1st moving away from the target
2- attacks should be limited to 1
3- the attack should not be pre-arranged
4- the attacker must try their best to strike the defender
5- counter attacks should be limited to 1, remember a true opponent will not attack using a single technique, nor will they stand still & pose or cooperate with the defender
6- the distance is determined by the attacker, according to the techniques used for attacking, for example, knee to groin, close quarters, side kick, further apart, flying kick, even further apart, not that too many flying kicks happen in the street, but attackers do come running at you
7- the counterattack should be approriate for the vital spot attacked

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/23/06 01:37 PM

Thanks for the input but these are set skills that are requirements in our training, as are form, sparring and breaking. HOWEVER, we do train with realism as well that include many of the ideas that you suggested. These will include joint manipulation against unresisting and resisting opponents. Throws, sweeps and trips against unresisting and resisting opponents. We will include grappling, ground n' pound, clinch work, knees, elbows, and also throw them all together so drills include everything from stand up to take down to submitting. These preset drills are just a training tool and I believe a very effective training tool.

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/23/06 02:31 PM

Wow, your 1-stepps are way different then ours. We have a min number required to know for each belt but it’s open as far as the techniques used; with some exception we can really do what we want – no Hapkido below red belt (control issues)

-JBC-

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/23/06 02:52 PM

Johnyboxcutter:

What do you mean by no Hapkido below red belt, control issues?

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/23/06 03:04 PM

For our 1-stepps we can do what we want. One exception is that we do not permit W, Y, G, or Blue belts to do Hapkido techniques in their 1-stepps. We just don’t want injuries. We do teach them Hapkido, but the concern is with the adrenalin being up at Promo time they may lose control. Also, since we have integrated testing it is possible that a big white belt could be doing 1-stepps with a big yellow or green belt. If the white belt has never been exposed to the joint locks they may resist.

Another reason is that before this was a rule the kids only wanted to do Hapkido but they where not doing it correctly, so the GM said no more until Red belt.

Hope that helps,
-JBC-

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 08/23/06 11:29 PM

No problem, thanks, now I understand.
In the ITF we would call that HooSinSul & that does not come into the curriculmn till 2nd gup red belt. So it is more or less the same, but for different reasons.
Posted by: tkdchick89

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 09/16/06 10:51 PM

hilarious story...very good job...you were ready lol..you should have had some faith in yourself!:D
Posted by: GreyHam

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 09/24/06 07:38 AM

thats an awesome story, and good to see that your GM knows how to give belts to people who deserve them! well and truly earned id say

i had a similar experiance when i was 5h kup. i joined our class when it first started in my town and went twice a week every week for about 3 years before it closed down (running costs, subs were barely covering premesis and equipment) but i ended up the senior student for most of that time after a double promotion from white to green tag. any odd numbered groups, i was making up the numbers and giving the examples. felt amazing afterwards though, but given my grading was last (and as the only person at my level i was doing it all with the instructor while the senior instructor, and everyone else, watched) i was somewhat shattered but it all came together

gotta love those challenging moments

now to find a new class...

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 04/03/08 12:51 AM

Quote:

In order to help this drill become more effective, with respect to realism, try these simply modifications:
1- attacker does not step back before attacking, they should attack from a natural standing position, like a pararrel stance, without 1st moving away from the target
2- attacks should be limited to 1
3- the attack should not be pre-arranged
4- the attacker must try their best to strike the defender
5- counter attacks should be limited to 1, remember a true opponent will not attack using a single technique, nor will they stand still & pose or cooperate with the defender
6- the distance is determined by the attacker, according to the techniques used for attacking, for example, knee to groin, close quarters, side kick, further apart, flying kick, even further apart, not that too many flying kicks happen in the street, but attackers do come running at you
7- the counterattack should be approriate for the vital spot attacked

Posted by: StuartA

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 04/03/08 04:18 AM

Hey Johnny,

Many congratulations. Did anyone film it for you?

Stuart
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: PROMOTION!?!?!?! WTF!!!! - 04/03/08 04:54 PM

Congratulations! It takes black belt spirit to do what you did. Great job!