knuckle conditioning for breaks

Posted by: cruz

knuckle conditioning for breaks - 08/12/06 09:05 AM

I have heard many people agree and disagree over whether punching thnigs many times per day and doing knuckle push ups actually increases the bone mass and density of your knuckles. Some people even say it causes arthritis later in life. Does anyone know for sure whether punching things and doing knuckle push ups actually increases bone mass and density and helps you to break more boards than you could before?
Posted by: Kysogkram

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 08/12/06 12:38 PM

Well, I don't know for a scientifical fact that it does those things, however my knuckles certainly seem to be getting bigger.

Furthermore a lot of the black belts and seniors got some really freakishly big knuckles from doing knuckle pushups, using the makiwara, etc., so I'm feeling pretty confident that this type of training has a very real impact.
Posted by: DeathComesRippin

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 08/12/06 02:45 PM

Don't bother with the knuckle conditioning. Damaging your knuckles over and over like that in many cases will just make them weaker. Those big calluses that you see on peoples hands actually add more cussion to the blow. The only advantage they have is that they've turned their hand into a big dead blunt object to strike with. Just stick to proper breathing and practicing power on the heavy bag. (with your hands properly wrapped and wearing gloves) It's all about bone alignment, so yeah, just practice technique.
Posted by: StuartA

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 08/13/06 02:13 AM

Ive done knuckle conditioning for years (knuckle press-ups, dollyo-jang (forging post), heavy bags with no gloves etc) and never had adverse effects.

But I would say anyone who does should not go OTT. If the hand is bruised then stop until its heeled. Ive never used Dwit Dow Jar etc, but some I know of do and clain it has great benefits!

I would think excessivly over doing it can cause problems later in life, but doing it intellegently will help make the bones and wrist stronger.

I have no calluous to see, my knuckles have never got 'bigger' like some seem to. But they are reasonibly strong and my motivation for doing conditioning these days is when I meet 'bone on bone' I want mine to be stronger than theres!!

Stuart
Posted by: cruz

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 08/13/06 11:00 AM

Thanks
Posted by: EarlWeiss

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 08/13/06 06:30 PM

The key to knuckle conditioning without adverse effects is a gradual method. Initialy I used a canvas bag filled with steel shot. Some old timers used lead shot but dust could migrate thru the bag and even into the skin which was bad. LAter I graduated to striking a cement block and now a steel plate. Exercising virtualy any part of the body increases bone density. When you strike there should be hundreds of repetitions with no residual soreness. If there is you are doing it too hard. Studies as to whether this has bad effects long term would be virtualy impossible for the following reasons. 1. Physioogical differences would mke comparing one person to the next irrelevant. 2. Even using the same person conditioning on e hand as a control and the other conditioned would be meaningless since you would have to have a mechanical device precisely duplicating the impact for each and the person would still use their hands differently in daily activity. 3. The person would likely use one hand to break more than the otherresulting in differnt effects.
Posted by: StuartA

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 08/13/06 07:51 PM

One last thing, for safe conditioning get something with a bit of give. Dollyo-jangs (makiwara's) have give in them - punching walls do not and is bad all round I believe.

Stuart

Ps. hi Earl
Posted by: jonnyboxcutter

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 08/14/06 01:05 AM

Quote:

Just stick to proper breathing and practicing power on the heavy bag. (with your hands properly wrapped and wearing gloves) It's all about bone alignment, so yeah, just practice technique.

I understand this comes down to personal opinion, but I have one question.

When class is over and you change back into your street cloths, do you take off the gloves and unwrap your hands?

Granted you don’t need to make your knuckles big and ugly to hit hard, but in my opinion wrapping them makes them weak. Your hand gets used to hitting with external support that won’t necessarily be there when you need it. When I change out and hit the road, my hands are the same as they where in class.

An example would be, a professional boxer getting into fight (on the street not in the ring) and breaking their hands? (Tyson did this some time back)

-JBC-
Posted by: Supremor

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 08/14/06 01:54 PM

This argument usually comes down to a simple evaluation that each martial artist must make personally: Do the ends justify the means?

Conditioning will make your hands harder, I'm not going to disagree with that one. As long as you do conditioning in a controlled manner- knuckle push-ups, heavy bag work, limited makiwara work- I am sure it will have positive effects for breaking purposes. However, the possible risks of injury; of arthritis in later life; of loss of dexterity and of the often highly stigmatised aesthetic qualities of large callouses on your hands are very serious considerations. Let me show you my reasoning behind hand conditioning:

I am a martial artist, who while loving the added quickness, flexibility and strength that my MA has given me, only sees the "fighting" aspect of martial arts as a self defense aspect. I enjoy watching martial sports, but would not want to do them myself. As such, I see the likelyhood of any viloent confrontation as slim, perhaps a once or twice in a lifetime experience. Other skills, such as writing, typing, using a knife and fork, are daily skills that I need in order to maintain my quality of life. Therefore, I weigh-up the pros and cons of better breaking prowess with the loss of my dexterity in later life, and have opted for a largely conditioning free training.

I occasionally dob knuckle push-ups, I'm happy to break boards with my hands, I also don't mind doing a bit of bare-knuckle pad work . But I refuse to ever designate a period of my training to conditioning.

Bear my and other's experiences in mind, and make a judgement that suits you personally. Remember that whatever you choose, a grounding in safe methods of training is essential, and you should have thoroughly researched your training before attempting anything risky(that means learning some physiology and checking with a trained doctor or physician).
Posted by: Dereck

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 08/15/06 01:05 AM

Supremor, very nice post.
Posted by: jonnyboxcutter

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 08/16/06 03:13 PM

I wont disagree with anything in this thread. Like Supremor said there is Pro’s and Cons to both sides of this argument and I doubt that they will get worked out here.

As far as the loss of dexterity goes, I started conditioning my right hand when I was about 16 yrs old. I am currently 34 (I stopped the conditioning around the time I turned 21) and I build large-scale networks for a living. I spend hours on a keyboard and I only have problems with my left hand. After big jobs the left hand hurt so bad at times it wakes me up at night, my right hand has no issues at all. The old guy that I used to work out with - he taught me most of my stuff - had hands like clubs, he was an amazing artist. I guess what I am saying is I know several people with very hard hands and don’t know any of them that have issues because of it. I am not saying this can’t or won’t cause issues long term, but my personal experience does not support it (the old guy was 70+).

On a side note, when students ask about conditioning, I typically try to talk them out of it.

The irony of this thread for me is that I am currently nursing a messed up right hand. I have been out for some time (about 14 years) and decided to see if I could still break like I used to. I stacked up 8 patio slabs to see how many I could break. I pulled the punch and I think I actually broke something and I am not talking about the concrete.

Big breaks are cool and all but I actually prefer the small quantity technique breaks, such as placing your hand on the board/block and breaking it just by changing stance or breaking SLOW (think Tai Chi slow). I can teach anybody to power through cement, but these are the breaks that require years to figure out. Conditioning for these breaks are not necessary.

-JBC-
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 11/03/06 01:38 PM

Hand conditioning can create thick callouses on your hands, but the value of this is questionable. Board breaking is largely a matter of control and precision; you don't break more hands just because your kuckles are thicker.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 11/04/06 02:20 AM

Woot, woot nice post Supremor.

Look out Dereck this guy is gunning for the MOD of the year award.
Posted by: schanne

Re: knuckle conditioning for breaks - 11/04/06 12:28 PM

I will answer your question less pro or con: one, yes conditioning your hands will help you become a better board breaker. Two, yes it does eventually give you different degrees or arthritis, I am living proof,actually right now I'm making a fist and my right hand is very stiff and a little sore when clinched. Although my shins and feet have never been bothered by all the stuff that was broke. Also I never conditioned any part of my feet or shins for breaking either. Probably all the bag work and sparring is enough conditioning for anyones legs, your conditioning them every time you train, how's that?