ATA?

Posted by: Stormdragon

ATA? - 07/02/06 10:29 PM

What's the deal with ATA? Is it a mcdojo, or what?
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: ATA? - 07/02/06 10:41 PM

I'd say it's a bit too big to make a generalisation like that. From what I understand, the ATA is a collection of schools and the standards vary from school to school. However, the organisation does have a poor reputation of producing McDojos.

I'm sure there are good ATA schools out there which are worth the price you pay for them. There may even be inexpensive schools, there are always exceptions to the rule.

They do seem to have a lot of "Black Belt Acadamies" though...

And the camo belts, oh dear...

Re: ATA? - 07/02/06 10:54 PM

The reason I ask is because I may have a chance to train with an ATA 4th dan black belt on tuesday, and I hope it is a good solid training session.
Yerah, I didn't know about the camo belts. They're probably a gimmick to attract young students.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: ATA? - 07/02/06 11:05 PM

Quote:

The reason I ask is because I may have a chance to train with an ATA 4th dan black belt on tuesday, and I hope it is a good solid training session.
Yerah, I didn't know about the camo belts. They're probably a gimmick to attract young students.

Could be.

Well, never mind that, just make the most of it. Remember, it's the artist who makes the difference. Just because the ATA has a poor reputation doesn't mean that 4th Dan you're training with will follow that reputation. His/her training may turn out to be excellent. Just have to wait and see and try not to prejudge him/her.

Re: ATA? - 07/02/06 11:14 PM

Yeah, from what I hear about him, he is a genouine martial artist, who really cares about good training, so I think it'll be good.
Posted by: Joe7987

Re: ATA? - 07/03/06 01:09 AM

There are good ATA practitioners and bad ATA practitioners. For instance, there's a black belt in my club who comes from ATA.. and her skill is nothing to laugh it. She's very good. On the other hand, I've seen black belts come out of ATA schools with skill that many white and yellow belts exceed.
Posted by: CatnPhx

Re: ATA? - 07/06/06 12:59 AM

It's all in the teaching. Some are good ATA schools and some bad ... the difference is the owner and/or instructors. The ATA is definitely trying to make money but there's nothing wrong with that if you get your money's worth. They are mainly catering to families and kids.

Re: ATA? - 07/08/06 03:42 PM

Well, I unfortunetely didn't get the chance to train with this guy this time around but I hope to eventually. Apparently he does grappling, full contact sparring, and so on. I guess he trains pretty hard, so I can't wait to work with him.