Yudo

Posted by: Prizewriter

Yudo - 06/13/06 06:08 PM

Was reading an article on Hapkido on the net, and it seemed to infer that Yudo was part of Hapkido, and that it was taught as part of traditional Hapkido. Sort of like Sambo being taught as part of Sytstema.

Do any of the Hapkido people here study Yudo as part of their training?
Posted by: GuitarNinja

Re: Yudo - 06/13/06 06:52 PM

Yudo = Judo right ?
Posted by: Moogong

Re: Yudo - 06/13/06 07:02 PM

Yudo/Judo and hapkido really developed independently but have some strong common threads. It is because they have the same roots in jujitsu.
I would not go so far to say that yudo is a part of hapkido but many Korean hapkido masters have trained in yudo at some point. Either in high school or college. So it's that far fetched to think that yudo training has influenced hapkido in some way.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Yudo - 06/14/06 02:36 AM

OK...unless I've been in a coma for 30 years:

> Yudo is Korean Judo
> Hapkido is Korean Jujutsu
> Kumdo/Gumdo is Korean Kendo
> Tang Soo Do is Korean Shotokan Karate

Anyone see a pattern?

However, I'll give you this...there is some evidence that Ssirum predates Sumo (but I don't know if this has been proven).

Re: Yudo - 06/14/06 08:17 AM

Quote:

Yudo = Judo right ?

http://www.usyudo.org/

The main difference between Yudo and Judo does not seem to be technical, it is the intent of the martial art. Judo, although a useful art for self-defense, is also a sport. Yudo seems more interested in self-defense, with competition less promient.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Yudo - 06/14/06 10:39 AM

whats the korean version of Toyota and Honda?
Come on somebody say it, I'm sure they have something...

hehe
kumdo=kendo
tang soo do=shototkan
hapkido=aikijutsu
yudo=judo
korean=japanese knock off

Really getting kind of rediculous. AT least koreans can say that sports taekwondo is 100% korean althouh heavely promoted by westerners.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Yudo - 06/14/06 11:11 AM

Quote:

korean=japanese knock off

I don't think it was meant that way. It's no secret that during Japanese occupation of Korea, the Korean culture was systematically repressed. If most of their indigenous martial traditions were eliminated, then they had to start somewhere, right?

It's fair to say that the Koreans have once again made a fairly distinct martial culture, regardless of what it was based on.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Yudo - 06/14/06 01:57 PM

Thank you Matt.

Re: Yudo - 06/14/06 02:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yudo = Judo right ?

http://www.usyudo.org/

The main difference between Yudo and Judo does not seem to be technical, it is the intent of the martial art. Judo, although a useful art for self-defense, is also a sport. Yudo seems more interested in self-defense, with competition less promient.

Scratch that, here is a slightly better explanation:

http://www.chungtongyudo.co.kr/chungtongkwan/yudojudorelationship.htm
Posted by: Mike_L

Re: Yudo - 06/14/06 02:14 PM

Quote:

tang soo do=shototkan

Really?
Posted by: shaokhan79

Re: Yudo - 06/14/06 04:18 PM

Quote:

OK...unless I've been in a coma for 30 years:

> Yudo is Korean Judo
> Hapkido is Korean Jujutsu
> Kumdo/Gumdo is Korean Kendo
> Tang Soo Do is Korean Shotokan Karate

Anyone see a pattern?

However, I'll give you this...there is some evidence that Ssirum predates Sumo (but I don't know if this has been proven).

you know tho that kendo means kumdo, that they are just respectively japanese and korean ways of reading chinese characters? same for yudo and judo... not sure about hapkido and aikido
Posted by: stormbringer

Re: Yudo - 06/14/06 04:53 PM

Quote:

whats the korean version of Toyota and Honda?
Come on somebody say it, I'm sure they have something...

I thought it was Dae Woo.

Re: Yudo - 06/14/06 06:36 PM

although that may be true, I was "educated" by a couple of people (who didn't know I was a karate-ka) that Kumdo (Gumdo) & Yudo influenced Kendo & Judo respectively.

I replied, "Oh that's interesting" & they went on to explain how the Japanese stole these MA from Korea during the occupation & claimed it for themselves. The funny thing about that exchange was that these 2 guys weren't even Korean!

Personally, I have nothing against Koreans...I respect their history & how they've modernized, feel bad that their country is divided & really enjoy their food (Korean BBQ for Fathers' Day!).

I think that the more level-headed practitioners need to educate their "brothers in MA" as to the truth w/o feeling the need to distort historical fact.

owari

Re: Yudo - 06/14/06 08:25 PM

YuDonno what your talking about man.

Interesting stuff. To bad theres not enough published stuff out there so we could realy debate this. Although there could be some stuff on taekwondo times.

In reality whether the koreans take martial arts from other countries and help innovate them into their own version ofthe original is something I don't have a problem with, however, I think that it is only fair to the japanese that the koreans should give them credit otherwise it's stealing, plagerism, and lying.

-Tek

Re: Yudo - 06/15/06 02:29 AM

Specifically, what are you talking about? A blanket statement like that tells me you're don't have a clue.

Man-up & provide some specifics so we can have a discussion. Otherwise it degrades to...

Tek: "Do not, do not, do not infinity"

Re: Yudo - 06/16/06 01:18 AM

okay for the sake of peace I am going to completely ignore your last post.

The "YUDOnno what your talking about" was a joke. Unfortunetly the joke was waisted... Yudo was supposed to be meant as "you don't" it was supposed to be funny.

Usually the joke starts off with Judo. Guy A says "I know karate", Guy B says I know Judo. Guy A says "whats Judo?", guy B says "Judonn what judo is? well judonno nothing man".

Okay so it's not so funny when you read it, but when you say it out loud it's a bit funnier.
So anyway the Yudonno joke was based on the fact that the art is called YUDO. Okay but anyways you didin't get it.

I've searched the contra costa library, Cal state libraries and san francisco library to find something on YUDO. No library had any info on it. So as I stated earlier there isn't much written or published on judo. COnsidering I check the data base for all the state colleges in Californbia and the contra costa colleges plus the san francisco library it's safe to say that nt much is known about yudo in Cali.

Ofcourse I have yet to check the internet, I'm sure I can find stuff on there, but by now i'm tired.
Posted by: shaokhan79

Re: Yudo - 06/16/06 12:55 PM

Judo IS yudo.

it's just the korean way of pronouncing the original chinese characters.

i'm not sure about korean yudo associations' relations with japanese judo orgs...

Re: Yudo - 06/16/06 01:32 PM

Tek

I had the same problem mate. Even internet search yields little about Yudo. Which takes me back to my original question, is Yudo a part of Hapkido, more than an art in and of itself? Is it taught as part of Hapkido, rather than an stand alone art?

Here is the Wiki article that inspired my orginal query:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hapkido
Posted by: kusojiji

Re: Yudo - 06/16/06 01:44 PM

http://www.allmartialarts.com/KIXCO/History/history/map.htm
Posted by: Mike_L

Re: Yudo - 06/16/06 02:19 PM

Just a side note to that sight, WTF TKD president is no loger UN Yong Kim, it is now Dr Chungwon CHOUE.

And what is this supposed to mean
Quote:

and has changed from an art to a sport. Since Taekwondo has also become a generic term

Re: Yudo - 06/16/06 04:37 PM

Quote:

http://www.allmartialarts.com/KIXCO/History/history/map.htm

In all my researching of martial arts, I have never came across one that has as much controversy about its origin as Hwa Rang Do (and that includes Ninjutsu). The jury is still out on it....big time!

That said, it would be wrong to discount that as a source of info for Yudo simply based on Hwa Rang Do's inclusion on the chart. So thanks, its helpful at least.

And at least it is staying on topic (clears throat for Mike L and Tek 9)
Posted by: spectrum

Re: Yudo - 06/17/06 01:46 AM

I thought Yudo was the little green guy in starwars?

Headkicker is right ofcourse Yudo is Judo but a more interesting question would is who invented BBQ.

and can you prove it and who cares.

There is alot of MA crap about the origins of simple things.

kick, punch, trip, grab, choke, can any system lay claim to these?

Re: Yudo - 06/19/06 08:44 AM

It was supposed to be a friendly joke. I had no idea of the lack of humor on this forum SHEESH!

Anyways I looked it up, I could find nothing on Yudo. So the statement is true...Yudonno nothing about Yudo lol.

However there is tons of stuff on Yoda....he's da man.