Wallet certificate?

Posted by: mbac640

Wallet certificate? - 05/31/06 10:06 AM

The Taekwondo Wikipedia article says:

"Gup rank advancement records are kept by the school of origin, and sometimes by the style's association headquarters. For Kukkiwon practitioners, all ranks of 1st Dan and above must be registered with the Kukkiwon if the black belt wishes for his rank to be acknowledged at other dojangs, or if he wishes to participate in the Olympics. A "Wallet Certificate" (which looks like a photo ID card) is commonly used by practitioners when they attend tournaments or transfer schools in order to certify their rank."

Is there a standard form of this wallet certificate?
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Wallet certificate? - 05/31/06 12:51 PM

This is pure hogwash...they are just trying to sell you a card to make some cash. Don't fall for this. No tournamenort cares if your a black belt, especially local tournies. If you got the cash your in. Usually because you sign up with a school, the owner or teacher makes sure his students are registered to the WTF. For me I've never had to register, my teacher takes care of it for me. When I attend tournies I don't pay I get in as a coach.
Posted by: theoldone

Re: Wallet certificate? - 05/31/06 03:30 PM

Some national associations issue their own black-belt cards (credit card size) as well as instructor cards. Sometimes they do carry the WTF/Kukkiwon insignia. Check with your instructor or association.
Posted by: ChronicGMV

Re: Wallet certificate? - 05/31/06 03:36 PM

Do these things allow you to pick your blackbelt up if you happen to have to go to another TKD school?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Wallet certificate? - 05/31/06 03:45 PM

I never leave home without it:
Posted by: GuitarNinja

Re: Wallet certificate? - 05/31/06 03:55 PM

Quote:

Do these things allow you to pick your blackbelt up if you happen to have to go to another TKD school?

If you know a good amount of one & three steps, all the primary kicking techniques, TG 1-8 and koryo... practically any WTF TKD school will accept you as a black belt, ive seen it happen alot... Its all about money, thats why rank holds so little signifigance with most anyone nowadays.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Wallet certificate? - 05/31/06 03:59 PM

Haha Ed, that one's priceless. I think I'll get it printed out and make my own Nobody'll mess with me!!
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Wallet certificate? - 05/31/06 06:11 PM

Martial arts + marketing = no shame