Guard Problem

Posted by: ChronicGMV

Guard Problem - 05/30/06 09:58 PM

Well, I have a problem with guarding in Taekwondo. I was sparring in class today (open-handed) when my master* told me to close my hands. It seems strongly stressed that you have to keep your hands closed while fighting, but I've been trained by my Karate sensei to keep my hands open. I instictively close my fists when I go in for a punch now, but when I don't punch, I have my hands open and, eh, I'm a loose fighter. I move my hands around and move around my opponent a lot. It's as if I'm dancing. I was even asked today if I was a good dancer by a classmate. My Karate senei taught me to be a freestyle fighter. But with my hands close, I find moving around a lot more difficult because it's uncomfortable and it makes blocking hard ( I feel ridiculous fighting like this. I'm not saying the Taekwondo way is wrong, it just feels awkward to me). I block with my hands open also because I can either stop the attack in its track or have it pass right by me. With my fists, it's as if I were trying to stop an attack with.. well, ANOTHER attack. Now, my intention all along was to mix two martial arts while pursuing my goal of going to the Taekwondo Olympics, but fighting with my hands closed is tough. I prefer my Karate guard because it blocks my whole upper-body (the lower too, but it takes a bit more work). And I feel that it's a bit disresepctful to ask my master if he can make the exception and let me fight open-handed because I am learning his art, and it's not my time yet to tell him how I'm mixing an art with his. So, do you guys think I should confront my master about this guard problem, or do I just sit back and accept the guard for now? If any of you have had a similar problem like this, I'd be happy to hear them. Advice is always welcome.
Posted by: Eric4444

Re: Guard Problem - 05/30/06 10:21 PM

I had the same problem. I prefer keeping my hands open, however my Taekwondo instructor hated it and wasn't one for new ideas. I learned to keep them shut and dealt with it. Whenever I trained on my own though, I always kept them open.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Guard Problem - 05/30/06 10:31 PM

This is subjective. Yours is the first TKD instructor I have heard of instructing to block with a closed hand rather than an open hand. Is the instructor an Olympic style fighter ? Does he belong to the WTF and is more sport oriented ? It is true that the martial art side of TKD would support the closed hand block, because it IS considered a strike as well as a block. TKD blocks typically have more of a twisting momentum to them that causes them to be more of an attacking tool rather than a pushing/redirecting momentum found in the karate-do styles. But when it is the martial sport side, I have always found them to instruct to block with open hands and to be loose and agile. I would approach your instructor after a class and privately, make your case and get his reaction. If he becomes beligerent or offended and and can't make a good arguement for his teaching you to block this way, I would look for anothet instructor. If he is calm and his reasoning seems sound, work with him awhile. You may find it comfortable after awhile.

VDJ

Re: Guard Problem - 05/30/06 10:36 PM

He's with the WTF, but it doesn't seem to me that he cares much for tournaments. I've been at the school for nearly a month and I haven't heard him talk much about tournaments. I actually have to ask him about tournaments to find out what's up with them but he tells me to slow down. So I'm guessing he's with the WTF, but stays with the martial art side of TKD.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Guard Problem - 05/31/06 01:39 AM

Chronic,

Do what you feel is right. I had the reversal of things...having started TKD and then later eschewed it for karate.

The function of keeping the hands closed does protect the fingers and keeps them primed for punching. In certain styles of karate this is the norm as well.

However, the reason for the open hand in some advanced practices, when you are able to feel your away from jamming the piggies, is to be able to grab and pull in sparring. If this is not allowed, then it behooves you to do as the Romans do when in Rome.

-B
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Guard Problem - 05/31/06 02:11 AM

With training in a WTF school I can tell you that what your Instructor has asked of you is only his way, not the only way. We train open and closed fists and it is up to you to train both. In a real confrontation open hands seem less agressive but can be just as effective. For fighting in or out of the ring open hands have an advantage of being able to deflect, redirect or even catch punches. Open hands can also be used for striking whether it is a palm strike, tiger claw strike or a variation of a knife/ridge hand strike.

Because I'm also a grappler I prefer the open hand to closed hands but again we train for both so there are times that I will have my fist closed. If I'm working on punching drills then of course my hands will be closed. Olympic style sparring probably again my hands will be closed thus allowing me to strike their chest or use as a block and punch. If we are allowed to kick and punch but also allow for the take down with sweeps, trips, throws and grappling then my hands will be open.

Each has a time and place with their positives and negatives and it is up to you to decide when is better then the other. If your Instructor has asked you to close your fists then he should have no problem discussing his reasons why to you later. While in class practice with your hands closed as he has asked and then after class discuss with him. If he is a good Instructor he should welcome your questions and will be able to give you a good explanation. For us to decide if you should or should without know those reasoning then we can only speculate.
Posted by: theoldone

Re: Guard Problem - 05/31/06 04:12 PM

GMV,

If adapatability is one of the attributes that a martial artist should be well-versed in, then consider it your chance to try something new.

Here's something you might want to try. Practice that hands-closed guard with boxing-type bobs and weaves. Hold your fists in a relaxed manner, arms loose. Bob and weave. Then incorporate some footwork. You'll soon get the hang of it.

Then "tigthen up" the bobs and weaves. Meaning make the bobs and weaves much, much less obvious than the boxer's. Call it "micromovements". Pretty soon, you'll have no problem with the hands-closed guard.

Master this (and combine it with occassional staccato-like shoulder/body feints) and you'll also develop a good sense of "rhythmic control" where your opponents won't be able to tell whether you're coming or going. In short, they won't know whether you're feinting, bobbing-and-weaving, or actually attacking.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Guard Problem - 05/31/06 06:00 PM

Nice recommendation "theoldone", I may even be able to incorporate that into my own style including grappling when standing up.
Posted by: theoldone

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 02:08 AM

Good call, Dereck. I hadn't thought of that. The "micro" bob-weave's combined with the staccato's would work very well for feinting and attacks in stand-up grappling
Quote:

Nice recommendation "theoldone", I may even be able to incorporate that into my own style including grappling when standing up.

Posted by: gregc618

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 07:56 AM

We have a kind who use to train Muay Thai, and he has had to re-learn alot of stuff he the he did another way. He considers it all addtions/rooms to himself as an over all fighter. I would think that out of respect for the training you would adapt to the TKD way. Think that you cant move woth a closed fist is all in ur head. Close them and imagine that you really have them open, and see what happens.

I can see where this is going. Strong fist help make strong technique, so that is why he wants your fist closed. Perhaps, he may also be concerned that you might get caught with that hand open one day, and someone hit it with a kick as you attempt to block.

I would think that the way to go is to honor you current training techniques. After all why you think its called "TRAINING"? You know have the oportunity to get it changed before its a really bad habit. Besides, look at tapes of other fighters and you'll see that they close fight 98 percent of the time. You ight as well get it down now, after all there is a reason for keeping the fist tight.

BTW, is a real fight your blocks would also be attacks/weapons to hurt your opponent. That is the other reason he want you with a clinched fist all the time. I cant beleive that the other instructor didn't make you aware of the reason behind a closed tight fist. Again, your blocks are not just to stop a blow from you opponenet in a fight they are to hurt him for trying to hurt you as well.

At our school we do an excercise with both arms out to the side. The drill is to simply open and close fist as tightly was we can 100 times. Arms must stay out and parallel to the floor. During punching drills he will often check hands to see who has tight first, and get on those that don't about the need to keep a tight fist.

Just remember you "USED" to practice Karate, but you're a TKDist "NOW"....When in ROME....

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 02:54 PM

You're sadly mistaken if you think I've chosen Taekwondo over Karate. I still practice Karate up to this day, not "used to." And just as TKD has a reason why your hands are closed, Karate has its reasons for keeping an open hand. In fights, my hands will remain open since it's easier for me, but while in the TKD class, I will try to adapt. As for my sensei not teaching me what it means to have a closed fist, I wonder how you pulled that out of your ass, because I mentioned nothing of my sensei putting down a closed fists guard. I simply said he taught me to fight open handed because we fight freestyle. This doesn't mean he disowns closed fists. We don't fight closed fists", big deal." That's just our fighting style and we have our reasons. Just as your style fights closed fists, you have your reasons. As for your open hand and close to make a fist excercise, we do that in my Karate school as well. As well as punching the bag drills. But excuse me if I came of a bit jerkish in my post, but your assumption of my sensei annoys me.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 03:51 PM

Alright guys, lets not turn this discussion into a cat fight, nobody pull anything out of anywhere, just leave it where it is for the moment please. Theres no need for that kind of talk. Remember we're having a discussion with posts and sometimes we may interpret things the wrong way. I don't thinkgreg was trying to be disrespectful of your karate sensei.

I think you should try his advice as he said in his first paragraph, try to imagine your hands are open. Because the fact that your foot work is getting screwed up is definetly all in your head. I'm sure if and ever the day you get into a fight your going to use all your abilities whether it's open hand blocking or closed fist punching, so try to get used to both. As you yourself said, your going to try to adapt.

Personally for me, when I first saw this thread, my first thought was SUCK IT UP, because thats what your going to have to do. We've all had issues with training, nothing more we can do. So good luck, and let us know if you improve,

-Tek

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 03:55 PM

Oh one more thing, when I first started training, I had problems opening and closing my hands durring forms training. Luckily I had an instructor who was very knowlegable and knew how to fix this problem. For one week everyday he taped my hands with black electrical tape. Embarrassing but it worked.

Reason why I couldn't keep my hands closed was because durring forms training my palms would sweat, and I would open them to allow air in.

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 06:55 PM

So poor little whiney baby wants a fight??.. Too bad I dont beat up on children! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh, some people's kids!!

What the heck are you talking about anyway? You said that you sensei taught you to fight opened handed vs closed fist. I said that I can't believe that he would have noT explained the rational behind a closed fist, SINCE THERE WAS NO APPARENT INDICATION FROM YOU POST THAT HE HAD AT ANY TIME THUS FAR.

First you said:
Quote:

It seems strongly stressed that you have to keep your hands closed while fighting, but I've been trained by my Karate sensei to keep my hands open.

Then you went on to say:
Quote:

My Karate senei taught me to be a freestyle fighter. But with my hands close, I find moving around a lot more difficult because it's uncomfortable and it makes blocking hard ( I feel ridiculous fighting like this. I'm not saying the Taekwondo way is wrong, it just feels awkward to me).

The end result is that you start trippin?!?!?!?!?!?!?... Don't make me beat u up in a public forum for acting like a spoiled brat!

Try this though: Stuff it where the sun doesn't shine child if you beleive there was malious in what I said..You could have easily asked for clarification before you went off on that pissy tantrum you've decided to display here.

Oviously at a yellow belt you've not participate enough to worry about changing to a close fist vs a open one. I assumed that you started TKD to learn the basic yet you'd screaming bloody murder over a closed fist. Your Sensei should beat you for not representing him and his school in a manner befitting the two. You're one rank out of a begginer in Karate, and crying about respecting the instructor in a TKD Do Jang because he is requiring you to use closed fists?... Gimme a break!

I guess you wanted us to all say do what you like, Well I'm not going to be one of those to add to that as you've seen. But I see what trying to help u wound up being, and as such take that noise you wrote someone that cares before I hurt you feelings again.

What a insensative ungrateful brat you seem to be!!

NOW LET ME DO WHAT YOU JUST PULLED OUT OF THE BOX:

But excuse me if I came of a bit jerkish in my post, but your assumption of what I replied to as it relates to your delima annoys me.

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 07:07 PM

Quote:

Alright guys, lets not turn this discussion into a cat fight, nobody pull anything out of anywhere, just leave it where it is for the moment please. Theres no need for that kind of talk. Remember we're having a discussion with posts and sometimes we may interpret things the wrong way. I don't thinkgreg was trying to be disrespectful of your karate sensei.

Guys???... Come on, let me hit him in the kneecaps with this baseball bat once!!.. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaase???

Thanks Tek I'm glad you were able to see it as it was. I'm amozed by those one. He wants respect for his Sensei, and has a problem listening to his TKD Master. I almost choked when I read the reply back to me post.

Anyway I didnt beat him up too awfully bad, but I wasn't going to let him slide with all he seemed willing to say.

Now we can go back to normal...

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 07:19 PM

You waant to air dry those hands huh?... lol.. Hey that's pretty good. I wonder how many times odd things like that happen and we never realize we are doing them?

Let me see what's my bad habit?... ok I got one!!

During forms I have this tendency to look down, and it was pointed out to me a few times that I should look at the imaginary opponent(s) eyes when doing a form.

I figured out why it happens. when sparring I dont look at the opponents face, I focus my eyes on his belt/below his eye level. I seem to be able to stop attacks much quicker when I look at his belt, since I see the movement of hands and feet only. I tend not to worry about feints and facial expression from the person I fight, and as a result i percieve it as an adavantage.

Do I still look down, yeah I have caught myself, but I make a deliberate effort to try and not let it happen during a form.
Posted by: wendymc

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 07:41 PM

now now boys thats enough ego stuff, mums in the house. Once your thumb gets bent back to your wrist you will learn to close your hands as I did. I also used to study karate, and I did learn alot. Respect all masters! Thats correct also look your apponent in the face, as the thing that moves first as your attacker moves forward is their shoulders, so you can see the move coming. This is only my opinion dont start picking on me, please.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 07:51 PM

Chronic -

Basically two choices you have here :

1) Listen to the instructor and do what he says.

2) Ignore the instructor (politely!) and keep doing what works for you.

Choice #2 may have you training at another school. But that is not always a bad thing.
Posted by: stormbringer

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 07:55 PM

Depending on what block I'm doing or even what follow up I want to do, I'll have my hands either open or closed. I prefer open handed myself because it does help with grappling. However, there must be a reason why he's teaching closed fist blocking. I'm thinking it may be because of protecting the fingers. If that's his reasoning it's a great line of thought, but not one I would subscribe to either. I had a similar case when I changed styles of TKD. When I did Mu Duk Kwan, I was taught to keep my punches in and not to over extend myself. In the Jhoon Rhee system, or punches are supposed to be extended for further reach. In analyzing both methods, I see the benifits and drawbacks of both. When I'm with my current instructor, I use his method. When I'm with my previous, I use his. As Yoda said "You must unlearn what you have learned". I'm of the belief that a martial artist must be able to adapt to any situation or circumstance, and this was just another one to work through. I hope it goes well for you.

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 08:27 PM

I was trained the same way. I heard really experienced fighters or martial artist look into peoples eyes, because some people tend to look at the target they intend to attack. However, I was taught to look at the shoulders. Because before any punch is thrown the shoulders must move. This holds true for kicks aswell.

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 08:34 PM

STorm,

Okay from what I get from your post, I pretty muchbelieve both of your instructors are pretty much saying the same thing. One says not to over extend, the other says extend more for reach. However, both of them would agree never to off balance yourself. Ofcourse they want you to extend as far as you can to get the most possible reach, but to never off balance which means over extending.

I think what you viewed as two different approaches is really the same brilliant advice from 2 brilliant instructors.

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 08:36 PM

Chronic,

What style of karate do you practice? I checked your profile but I've never heard of that kind of karate, is it offshot of some other style? Is it an eclectic blend of arts?

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 08:51 PM

Quote:

THERE WAS NO APPARENT INDICATION FROM YOU POST THAT HE HAD AT ANY TIME THUS FAR.

And that gives you the right to assume, why?

First you said:
Quote:

It seems strongly stressed that you have to keep your hands closed while fighting, but I've been trained by my Karate sensei to keep my hands open.

Quote:

The end result is that you start trippin?!?!?!?!?!?!?

So all of a sudden I'm trippin' because I asked if I should confront my instructor about my problem or just try to adapt to the TKD guard even though he hasn't explained why my fists need to be closed?

Quote:

You're one rank out of a begginer in Karate, and crying about respecting the instructor in a TKD Do Jang because he is requiring you to use closed fists?... Gimme a break!

Honestly, I can't respond to this because I have no idea what you're trying to say. Unless of course you're trying to say that I'M trying to say that I need to respect my Karate sensei in a TKD dojang. Now, if that was what you were saying, you're totally wrong. I never said or asked anyone if i should respect my Karate sensei's teachings in a TKD dojang. What I did mention was that I would have found it a bit disrespectful of me to try and convince my TKD instructor to let me use my open-handed fighting because I'm learning his art and not my sensei's.

Quote:

I guess you wanted us to all say do what you like, Well I'm not going to be one of those to add to that as you've seen.

Did you read this entire thread? People already suggessted that I adapt to it, and as I said, I will try to adapt to closing my fists. I didn't get pissy over that. But I did get pissy over an assumption that you pulled out of nowhere.

Tek9,

The Karate is Taifu-Shoi. It's the most popular karate in Puerto Rico. My sensei told me that his school may be the only one open over here because it's not really known here. I'm not exactly sure if it's a mix between martial arts or w/e, but we do learn techniques from other martial arts. This doesn't mean that it's apart of the style itself, it's just my sensei is a well-rounded martial artists and ontop of that, we have people that have studied other martial arts as well, so they kind of implement it into our training. But as far as what type of Karate it is, I can't give you a definite answer.

EDIT2: Eh, let me elaborate on what kinda styles and technqiues.. We learn TKD kicks, though we're 50% hands and 50% legs. Not like 80% legs and 20% hands in TKD. We use Shotokan hand techniques. Then we learn Muiy Thai (sp?). We don't practice it as much as I would like, but it's still there. Then we learn MINOR, MINOR grappling. And then there's only self-defense. We may have more, but honestly, I haven't been there long enough to know everything he's taught.

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 09:05 PM

pickin on wendy... PICK! PICK!! PICK!!!

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 09:28 PM

Oh well... i'm done with explaining... lol At this point I could care less what remedy u find. You're not even willing to be upfront with your TKD master about why you're traiining with him.

I guess that's allowed as long as you're the payer!

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 09:35 PM

My instructor already knows why I'm training. it's one of the first questions he asked when joining his school: "Why do you want to do Taekwondo?" and I responded "because I hope to go to the TKD olympics one day and compete." So there's no mystery. Something else you pulled out of nowhere, greg.
Posted by: Shawn Sinn

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 10:09 PM

Your master/coach is there to try to teach you and train you to win. I undestand the open hand thing (I find it most useful in my blocks too), but this is your master trying to teach you what he thinks will work best. Now when all is said and done, and you continue the art on your own (and have students of your own), then adapt what you learned to what you think is most effective. Until then, you play by your masters rules (or get another master).

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 11:50 PM

Son, you're 15 yrs old or 16 yrs old at best. You need manners for one. Call me when u pick that skill up.Be glad Im not ur pops, because I would beat you down for all that cussing you did in that last post. You'd have a very sore behind right about now.

Do you know what Children Home Rules are?.. Just in case u do!!..#10 & #14.

Lets see if you are able to do those first, then maybe we can talk.

Re: Guard Problem - 06/01/06 11:53 PM

He has been told that, but has decided that he doesn't like the replies I guess. I wonder how long he will last in that Do Jang with the attitude he displays.

Re: Guard Problem - 06/02/06 12:14 AM

If you read my posts Greg, you'd realize I've already said that I was going to try to adapt. Tek9 even pointed it out right after I said it. Stop replying as if I'm trying to say "NO, I WILL NOT MAKE A FISTS GUARD." If I had a problem with people telling me to try to adapt, I would've been pissy since the beginning of this thread. What you fail to realize is that it's your constant assumptions that's annoying me. So please, let's just stop our nonsense and let things be. Notice how I said OURS because I realize that it was my fault how this quarrel between me and you started, so please accept my apology. "I'm sorry".
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Guard Problem - 06/02/06 03:07 AM

BTW: Taifu-shoi...
Never heard of that style (& I've been around a few years). I suspect it's a recently made-up style. Is Taifu (as in the Japanese pronunciation of Typhoon) supposed to imply power. I've seen lots of schools named Tsunami for that reason.

I doubt that it's the most popular style because there are lots of Shotokan & Shito-ryu dojo in P.R. (among many other traditional styles).

Anyway, I too prefer open hands because it gives me more immediate options (strike, deflect, grab). Remember, not all strikes are punches

Also, fingers can get injured closed-fist. If it hasn't happened yet, it will someday.

owari

Re: Guard Problem - 06/02/06 04:22 AM

Chronic does your style emphasize anything?
For instance TKD is knwn for it's kicks, kenpo is known for it's hand quickness, judo is known for it's sweeps and throws, jujutsu is known for grappling, locks, submissions, bjj is known for it's ground grappling.

Whats something unique about your style of karate? Oh and was it invented in puerto rico cuz that would be cool, the first MA coming out of PR.

Re: Guard Problem - 06/02/06 04:48 AM

Actually, I just found my sensei on this forum. I doubt he actually logs in a lot but I can tell it's definately him.

Here's a link to his post:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15738128/page/0/fpart/14/vc/1

His username is "6666"

Just scroll down and you'll see his posts. He doesn't tell you what it's known for, but you can always send him a PM if ya want. Or you can wait for me to ask him on Monday.. And that'll be the day I told him I found him on the forum.

For those too lazy to search:

- In response to the "What style do you do?" thread

"Osu! My style: Taifu-Shoi Karate Do. 'Tai' is Korean, 'Fu' is Chinese, and 'Shoi" Japanese. Japanese freestyle fighting language. Very effective. 50% hands, 50% legs, forms, techniques, self-defense, plus anything that keeps me alive... Twenty-five busy years of experience, 4th dan, also 1st dan Kyiodai Ryu freestyle fighter, also shodan Shoryin Ryu Karate Do (Matsubyashi Ryu)."

Re: Guard Problem - 06/02/06 07:59 AM

Ooooooooh, we're not fighting. I will say this since you took the step to say sorry, I'll go with ya on that and accept.

TRUCE CALLED But try not to fly off on people for and opinion with out first seein if that is needed.
Posted by: stormbringer

Re: Guard Problem - 06/02/06 09:03 AM

Tek,
My two instructors literally had me punching differently. The Mu Duk Kwan instructor made me stop my body square in front of what I'm punching at when my punch is thrown. My Jhoon Rhee instructor has me punching so that my body is facing at about a 45 degree angle away from what I'm punching at when my arm is fully extended for the punch. But they both agree to not get off balance. The only thing I get from my first instructor teaching that is punching more for defensive purposes rather than offensive. Can you find another purpose for stopping the twist of my body when punching. I do agree they are both great at what they teach.
Posted by: sjon

Re: Guard Problem - 06/02/06 11:04 AM

stormbringer,

While I suspect that most of these variations are propagated simply because "it has always been done like that" in a particular style, naturally there must be an explanation somewhere along the line.

This is just conjecture on my part, but on this point in particular I'd say it may have something to do with different methods of power transference.
My research has given me some indications that in early TKD and pre-WWII Karate, power was generated in, say, a front punch by thrusting the bodyweight forward into a long front stance and coordinating the strike with the moment of the weight landing on the front foot, i.e. with a "drop step" or "falling step", relying relatively little on the hip twist.
I think the deep hip twist as a method of power generation may have been brought in gradually for two reasons: (a) the influence of Western Boxing, and (b) the increasing tendency to drill techniques from fixed stances (e.g. holding a horse stance for 20 minutes while you do front punches), which means you need an alternative source of power because you're not using a step.

Could it be that your MDK teacher comes from a lineage which conserves the first method, while the JR teacher is from a school which uses the latter?

Oh. I think I may have hijacked the thread. Sorry.
Posted by: wdw

Re: Guard Problem - 06/02/06 11:12 AM

ChronicGMV,

To get back to your original post.....

You asked if you should confront your instructor about it.....I don't think confront would be the correct word. You could just ask him why closed instead of open. Like you said, you're learning his art and asking questions is part of learning. He may have a good method to help you deal with it.

Re: Guard Problem - 06/02/06 10:00 PM

dear enthusiast, I was trained that way from being around 9. and Greg I have a teenage daughter who also studies martial arts PICK PICK PICK! i know your going through a difficult age, bless, thats why your arguementative.

Re: Guard Problem - 06/02/06 10:19 PM

Be the bigger person and do not respond please. No need to mention any names, this person knows who they are. Show that self control tenet from taekwondo.

Guys it's one thing to debate about an actual issue about the martial arts, it's another to argue about someones personal business. Don't waist your time. Move on to the next subject.

your instrcutor doesn't know what he's doing = waist of time. It's to personal.

TKD forms are not good for self defense = good subject for debate. Although it has been debated to death.

We need some new threads.

-Tek

Re: Guard Problem - 06/02/06 11:07 PM

Hmmmm no sense of humor I see. Boy that was a wasted joke!

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd I'm gonna bet you could be MY daughter at the age you are! Also can someone explain why people seem to read things into post that arent there?

Bet my daughter can out spare your daughter!!!... Itttttts a JOOOOOOOOOOOOKE!!
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: Guard Problem - 06/03/06 01:28 AM

Quote:

BTW: Taifu-shoi...
Never heard of that style (& I've been around a few years). I suspect it's a recently made-up style. Is Taifu (as in the Japanese pronunciation of Typhoon) supposed to imply power. I've seen lots of schools named Tsunami for that reason.

I doubt that it's the most popular style because there are lots of Shotokan & Shito-ryu dojo in P.R. (among many other traditional styles).

Anyway, I too prefer open hands because it gives me more immediate options (strike, deflect, grab). Remember, not all strikes are punches

Also, fingers can get injured closed-fist. If it hasn't happened yet, it will someday.

owari

and your knuckles can be damaged by the opponets face, that is less likely to happen with the palm of your hand.

I remember there used to be something at fightingarts homepage saying why it is better to strike with an open hand then with a fist.

Re: Guard Problem - 06/03/06 06:02 AM

sorry and sorry greg

Re: Guard Problem - 06/03/06 08:08 AM

Quote:

sorry and sorry greg

Okay and Okay!!

Re: Guard Problem - 06/03/06 08:22 AM

I can't believe this silly thread got over 25 responses on it...this thread should have ended after about 8 responses. Now it's got a little fire torch next to it...