"Taekwondo"

Posted by: theoldone

"Taekwondo" - 05/26/06 04:25 AM

Here's a good book to read if you haven't read it already.

Title: Taekwondo: Ancient Wisdom For The Modern Warrior
Author: Doug Cook
Year: 2001
ISBN: 1-886969-93-0

Read it with an open mind and see what you get from it. However, if you read it with a "closed mind" full of what you think you already know about what it is and is not, then it might not be your cup of tea.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: "Taekwondo" - 05/26/06 09:09 AM

I have always enjoyed Master Cook's column in TKDT Magazine. A very inspirational writer.

VDJ
Posted by: TeK9

Re: "Taekwondo" - 05/26/06 09:23 AM

theoldone,

Hi there, could you maybe give an example or passage from the book. Something that you found interesting? I've picked up the book many times, and after reading a few pages I put it down because it did not grab my attention. Perhaps hearing something you found interesting will motivate me to read it.

The last book I read was Advanced Taekwondo by: Scott Shaw
Posted by: GuitarNinja

Re: "Taekwondo" - 05/26/06 04:17 PM

Quote:

theoldone,

Hi there, could you maybe give an example or passage from the book. Something that you found interesting? I've picked up the book many times, and after reading a few pages I put it down because it did not grab my attention. Perhaps hearing something you found interesting will motivate me to read it.

The last book I read was Advanced Taekwondo by: Scott Shaw

Indeed, what makes this book so interesting ?

Tek... that was the last book I read myself, slightly interesting.. not very advanced if you ask me... and some of his insights are a little quirky but to each his own. What did you think of it ? His section on ground fighting REALLY threw me for a loop.. btw page 172 .. that self defense1-4 technique was pretty much the way my shoulder was dislocated.. im sure you can see how I got there from a hip throw position... I wanted to write more, but I gtg... I will post more later

Re: "Taekwondo" - 05/26/06 08:59 PM

Scott Shaw is also an hapkidoist. The book was okay, there was nothing new about it. He included some of kenpo's law of motions which I don't think anyone in taekwondo actually tecahes it. Personally I think the law of motions becomes self evident once the practitioner becomes adept. But then again some people do not feel the art they just strike with tools, so I guess it was good of Mr. Shaw to include it.

Page 172 you say, I'll have to check it out. I don't own the book, I'm lucky to have a Barnes and Nobles bookstore 1 mile away from my house, I've practically read all their books for free.

As I said Mr. Shaw to me is more of a hapkido stylist than a TKD stylist. So the ground work was more from his hapkido perspective. Infact I think he has a chapter on how TKD can be mixed with hapkido. Since after all it's basically this way in real life. ALmost everyones TKD self defense comes from jujutsu or hapkido.

Re: "Taekwondo" - 05/31/06 06:25 PM

HOw about giving us a hint about what you liked about the book? I was at Barnes and nobles today I saw it and passed it up, because you have yet to respond to the thread.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: "Taekwondo" - 05/31/06 08:30 PM

Quote:

HOw about giving us a hint about what you liked about the book? I was at Barnes and nobles today I saw it and passed it up, because you have yet to respond to the thread.

Come on Tek, why do you need to know what he likes about the book to give you a reason to read it ? He has suggested it, take it from there. I have always found Master Cooks writings informative and inspirational. Most of what I have read from him is pretty open minded regarding WTF & ITF. Whether or not that happened after this book was published (I believe theoldone said it was kind of biased, though I don't know what he's refering to) I don't know. But I have read some of his recent articles where he is interested in learning the Chang Hon patterns as he and his instructor are very big on patterns. Pick it up and read it, make your own opinion of the book, don't let someone elses view cloud yours, read it as a clean slate !

VDJ

Re: "Taekwondo" - 05/31/06 10:55 PM

Picked it up god awful color red cover page. read a few pages and it didn't capture my attention. Maybe I'll try again...maybe not.
Posted by: theoldone

Re: "Taekwondo" - 06/01/06 01:48 AM

Quote:

Picked it up god awful color red cover page.

LOL! That's true. Hardly an exciting color. And when I saw the title and author name on the spine of the book (the words were quite close together), I thought "Great, in the 80s they had Hong Kong Phooey, now they have a 'Taekwondo Dog Cook'"?

Apologies for not replying earlier to your question, Tek. I wasn't paying attention to this thread. My bad. In any case, if a book doesn't "grab" you, I'd suggest passing it up for another time. That's what I do when I buy books. If one doesn't grab me, I'll pass.

If it does grab me, I'll still pass...and go do whatever I was there to do first. Then I'll come back and flip through it again. If it still grabs me, I buy it. If not, back to the shelf it goes.
Posted by: Moogong

Re: "Taekwondo" - 06/03/06 04:21 PM

A new book by Mr. Cook was released last week. It's a really good book for newbies to the art. Here is a link..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594390...ce&n=283155