Leigh Childs - What's Up With That?

Posted by: Wraithguard

Leigh Childs - What's Up With That? - 05/17/06 06:20 PM

So what's the real story behind Leigh Childs? My (TAGB) instructor kind of said to someone that he was a red belt who broke off and made his own group.

Apparently the business is run by his wife and he has made millions.

I have two friends who are LC blackbelts and they perform like yellow belts.

Since when were weapons a part of TKD? You have to pay an extortionate amount of money to learn them even by TAGB standards.

How much of this is true?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Leigh Childs - What's Up With That? - 05/17/06 06:27 PM

Quote:

Since when were weapons a part of TKD?

I couldn't tell you but I suspect it has a lot to do with who teaches it. Maybe from one generation to the next it maybe handed down. I'm sure just like there are so many different types of Taekwondo schools now, even with the same name and affiliations, they were slightly different even then.

We train Nunchucks. I know some that use a sword and another that uses staffs. Each had to do with the Instructor and how he/she was trained.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Leigh Childs - What's Up With That? - 05/18/06 05:55 AM

I think your instructor needs to get a few facts straight.

I don't know Leigh Childs or train with any of his schools but I know of him from years back.

Childs used to be TAGB, which is probably why your instructor is (apparently) bad mouthing.

About 14 nyears ago the TAGB split from master Hee Il Cho and a group of senior instructors decided to go with the Cho, rather than the TAGB. These included guys like Kim Stones, Tony Sewell (both world champions under TAGB) Frank Murphy, Ted Hopwood (at the time about 7th dan, one of highest dans in UK), Mark Weir (yes, the MMA guy)and Clive Harrison. This group became GTI (Global TKD International).

Leigh Childs was part of the group. I believe he was 2nd dan at the time (although I could be wrong)but he certainly did not start up his own group at this time (that seems to have happened much later). I don't see how a red tag would be able to start his own group amongst the above mentioned BB's.

I remember using a video of Childs Chang Hon patterns to get ready for black tag gradings and Clive Harrison was speaking on it

http://www.shopireland.ie/dvd/reviews/B00005RHJJ/2/

Since then I know he was involved with professional MA schools and worked with John Jepson (karate) for a while. Likewise, I don't see how a red belt could work with someone of Jepson's reputation.

I checked out his website and it looks like he's made a bob or two, but I'd question his claim about bringing 'professional MA schools' to Britain's shores.

As for weapons, why not. It is a part of TKD which is lacking for many people. Would you think of ground work in the same way?

Prices? No idea... caveat emptor.
Posted by: justaskin

Re: Leigh Childs - What's Up With That? - 06/10/06 09:36 AM

Leigh will guarantee you a black belt in 2 years, has given out black belts to students in wheelchairs as a publicity stunt, has 'mass gradings' which are very costly compared to other schools, hardly takes any classes himself and has turned out black belts who have been dominated by white belts in other arts.

You can draw your own conclusions...
Posted by: gregc618

Re: Leigh Childs - What's Up With That? - 06/16/06 07:48 AM

Quote:

Since when were weapons a part of TKD?

I dont know where you have been but TKD does have weapons that are used by practioners of the art.

Below is a partial list of Korean weapons styles...
Ssang Soo Do: Long Sword
Ye Do: Short Sword
Wae Gum: Japanese Sword
Toyuryu: Japanese Sword Style
Woonkwangryu: Japanese Sword Style
Chunyuryu: Japanese Sword Style
Ryupiryu: Japanese Sword Style
Je Dok Gum: Admiral's Sword
Bon Kuk Gum: Shilla Kingdom Sword
Ssang Gum: Twin Swords

Note the list is comprimised of just sword arts, but trained with spear, nunchaku, sai, staffs, and other weapons. At my school we train Nunchaku, Bo and Sword arts. So maybe its just your school that doesn't train in weapons, because there are many that do just the opposite.

FYI: Kumdo is the Korean pronounciation of kendo.
Posted by: gregc618

Re: Leigh Childs - What's Up With That? - 06/16/06 08:07 AM

Quote:

Leigh will guarantee you a black belt in 2 years, has given out black belts to students in wheelchairs as a publicity stunt, has 'mass gradings' which are very costly compared to other schools, hardly takes any classes himself and has turned out black belts who have been dominated by white belts in other arts.

You can draw your own conclusions...

You know it does alot of good to blast him here in this forum where it "does absolutely no good in changing" what this guy is doing.

If it means that much to you then go try and change it! Otherwise its just all useless griping!