My first TKD class!

Posted by: vanquisher91

My first TKD class! - 05/16/06 11:16 AM

I am excited and can barely wait for my school to get out so I can go to TKD CLASS!!! I have my first White Belt class tonight and I am in the adult class after that. I already went to there adult class yesterday, but seeing as I don't know anything, grand master Choon Lee just had me practice my punches and kicks with a heavyweight punching bag and my arms and legs are sore, bruised and swollen from only an hour of that. I am worried though about starting classes though if I am allready experiencing pain. Is a certain amount of pain normal in a person who has no previous martial art conditioning? The pain is mainly in my feet, toes, legs, fists, wrists and pretty much every joint in my limbs as well as my lower back. It isn't inhibiting from my daily tasks, but it is definately noticable. Do any of you have any home remedies to ease pain that comes from your practice or do I just need to grunt through the pain in class tonight? Thanks!
Posted by: Supremor

Re: My first TKD class! - 05/16/06 11:23 AM

Taking up a new sport for the first time is always difficult. The pain you are feeling will most likely go in 1-2 days, if not then you may have an injury and ease off a bit. The first month or two will probably be pretty hard on your body, but after that you'll adapt and be fine. Just persevere and the pain will ease.
Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

Re: My first TKD class! - 05/16/06 02:39 PM

Find your motivation!

Whether it be anger (your boss, grades, teachers)

watching fight clips (pride, UFC, etc)

self defense (getting mugged, bullies,)

Whatever it is, find it, and hold on too it and use it during training. Helps me tremondously on days when I wonder why I put my body through punishment day in day out.

Good luck and hang in there, the pain is here to stay for sure, it lets you know you're alive =]
Posted by: VDJ

Re: My first TKD class! - 05/16/06 05:06 PM

Quote:

I am excited and can barely wait for my school to get out so I can go to TKD CLASS!!! I have my first White Belt class tonight and I am in the adult class after that. I already went to there adult class yesterday, but seeing as I don't know anything, grand master Choon Lee just had me practice my punches and kicks with a heavyweight punching bag and my arms and legs are sore, bruised and swollen from only an hour of that. I am worried though about starting classes though if I am allready experiencing pain. Is a certain amount of pain normal in a person who has no previous martial art conditioning? The pain is mainly in my feet, toes, legs, fists, wrists and pretty much every joint in my limbs as well as my lower back. It isn't inhibiting from my daily tasks, but it is definately noticable. Do any of you have any home remedies to ease pain that comes from your practice or do I just need to grunt through the pain in class tonight? Thanks!

Great to see such enthusism ! The pain will fade and then it will come back. There are nights I go and am limber and loose, I go back the next night and can't touch my knees. You gotta love it. Welcome to a wonderful art !

VDJ
Posted by: Dereck

Re: My first TKD class! - 05/16/06 06:03 PM

Welcome to the boards vanquisher91.
Posted by: Derik

Re: My first TKD class! - 05/18/06 11:25 PM

itll go away. I use to get sore every night and now I cant even remeber the last time my legs where sore. My arms sitll get sore but my legs have gotten very strong I can max out most machines at the gym
Posted by: 40+TKDLee

Re: My first TKD class! - 05/19/06 07:29 AM

I remember my first class well! I nearly lost my lunch on the floor! But the main thing is perseverence. Hang in there and you will do fine. Welcome to the MA and this forum!