New guy on the block!

Posted by: zei

New guy on the block! - 02/17/06 07:27 PM

Hi, I'm Sean, 18 years old . I started taking taekwondo class four months ago. Now I'm a 7th degree yellow belt. They say that I'm doing a pretty good job and improving every time , but I'm not satisfied with my improvement . It's been four months and I am now a 7th degree yellow belt but can't even do a high kick! Well actually I can, with a force, but I can't hold my leg in high position so I don't count it as a high kick, get my point here?

See for example, you do a front kick and hold it straight up in the air, how high can you hold it? Me, only knee high and I'm stragling to hold it that high! That's how I look how high a person can kick. Now get it?
My highest front kick is a little bit above knee high. My round kick around hip level.

The reason I came up with this because I am having a problem and needed some good tips and help . I am graduating in about two months and I want to be able to do a very high (face level) kicks in my forms. In my form I'll be doing a low round kick followed up with a repeat high kick which I'm having a problem right now.I needed some good stretching and strengthenin advice. Apperently my legs are also weak that's why I can't hold it up high. What should I do?
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/17/06 08:12 PM

You are probably judging a high kick by the wrong criteria - it's a *kick* not a 'hold your leg in the air'. Very few people can hold their legs as high as they can kick.

Anyway, you've only been doing this 4 months - relax, train hard and everything else will follow. Welcome to the forum!

Oh, and for strengthening and stretching there are particular forums that will serve you well... particularly us in the strengthening section
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/17/06 08:15 PM

Wow! a 7th degree yellow belt? Im smellin a Mcdojo.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/17/06 09:13 PM

Welcome to the site zei.

The key to high kicks is stretching. Everyday you must do this. There are plenty of resources in the library or your local bok store where you can find tips on stretching. This site has a special forum on stretching yuo can check there for tips.

As far as holding your leg out to judge how good your kicks are, thats a pretty high standard. Remember your only 4 months into training and there are many black belts who canot hold their kicks in the air. I myself being one of them. I can only hold for around 1-2 seconds and then I'm done. ANd thats only when I'm posing for a picture or showing off.

That level of control takes years to learn however, it can be attained with constant practice and persistance. So don't give up if thats your goal.

One more thing, don't get hung up on posing with your kicks, remember if you ever have to use your kicks in self defense or n a fight, you never EVER want to leave them up there for someone to grab hold of them. You always want to re-chamber (re-tract)your kicks twice as fast as you shot them out there.

-TeK
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/18/06 12:47 AM

7th degree yellow belt? McDojang's get THAT bad?

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/18/06 07:08 AM

7th degree yellow belt? Does this mean he has like 7 strips or tips on his belt?

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/18/06 07:09 AM

I think he just means 7th kup, otherwise known as yellow belt... Comon people, it's not that hard to work out

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/18/06 07:15 AM

Its been 7 years since I've used the korean terms, 7th gub would mean that it is the 7th belt away from black belt which is 1st dan corret?

The school I am a member of only has 6 belts including black.

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/18/06 11:13 AM

yeah, that's right... it starts at 9th kup (white belt) and then black tag is 1st kup, with black belt being 1st dan. All very complicated, unfortunately.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/18/06 01:28 PM

Welcome to the forum zei.

Things are new for him as it was for us so unless somebody explains it then how would one know. As zei will find out there are only degrees on the black belt such as 1st degree, 2nd degree, etc. In Taekwondo however is is 1st Dan, 2nd Dan, etc. For the color belts they are known as Gups. As you will notice in this thread there are several different ways to spell it. As a Yellow Belt your official title is ... well in your system you are a 7th Gup where as in my system you would be a 8th Gup. A 7th Gup in our system is a yellow belt with a green strip through the middle.

As you said, you are fairly new at this so don't be so hung up on how high you can lift your leg. This has no bearing upon how high you can kick. Check out the Stretching Forum and you will be able to search for the information you are looking for. If you have any questions then there will be more then enough people to help out. Check out Thomas Kurz's book "Stretching Scientifically" which is quite helpful and I own a copy myself. Dynamic Stretching is a good start.

Again welcome.

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/18/06 04:20 PM

...I guess I'm trying to bite more than I can chew...
Well you guys sound pretty tough! what academy,school, or whatever....kind of martial arts do you guys take?...
I'm taking ATA Black Belt Academy.

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/18/06 04:21 PM

ei tek!you sound pretty good and experienced... how long have you been doing martial arts? and what do you take?
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/18/06 06:11 PM

Quote:

I think he just means 7th kup, otherwise known as yellow belt... Comon people, it's not that hard to work out

My apologies, I did not consider this when I posted. Guess I need to think outside the box..

Matt

Completely off subject but what is the point to this icon?

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/18/06 06:19 PM

Quote:

...I guess I'm trying to bite more than I can chew...
Well you guys sound pretty tough! what academy,school, or whatever....kind of martial arts do you guys take?...
I'm taking ATA Black Belt Academy.

No tougher then you are or what you can be. What ever you put into your training you will get out. We all started where you are and worked out way up. I've been only doing this for 3.5 years so I am still a newbie to it as well. As time goes on you will read stuff on here and hear stuff out there and you will start to understand things better too. Don't give it a second thought.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/18/06 07:34 PM

Quote:

Oops...that thought never occurred to me.

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/18/06 08:11 PM

Quote:

7th degree yellow belt? McDojang's get THAT bad?

Quote:

Wow! a 7th degree yellow belt? Im smellin a Mcdojo.

I dont know what you meant by McDojangs but sorry,if you guys got confuse with 7th degree. its just like what teamblack said.thats how they say it in my class so i just go with it you know.

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/19/06 03:34 AM

When people refer to a McDojo or McDojang they are referring to McDonalds. There is one everywhere selling something cheap to make a fast buck and it is really no good for you. In the case of the McDojo/Dojang they are referring to martial art schools that you pay up front contracts or large monthly fees and you are guaranteed to be a black belt. That you move through the ranks quickly and possible in 1 to 2 years you are a black belt. That you are just paying for the belt and going through the motions of thinking you are a martial artist but should you ever need to use your skills then you will be sadly be in for a rude awakening.

I know this isn't much of a greating so I would ignore this. We have no idea about your school and is not fair to make such quick judgements of what we don't know.

Don't let something like this offend you ... and if it didn't, good. Just understand that there are many McDojos/Dojangs out there and Taekwondo seems to get the biggest rap though there are plenty out there for Kung Fu, Karate, BJJ, etc. Taekwondo just happens to be the fastest growing martial art and some people take advantage of it. Some purposely do it and others just don't have the skill to be instructors but do it thinking they are proficient enough when they are not. A black belt does not make an instructor ... regardless of what degree/dan they are.

Please continue to post as you see fit and I would like to re-welcome you to the FA Taekwondo Forum.

Re: New guy on the block! - 02/19/06 06:29 AM

well..Maybe if I know what mcdojo means.. maybe I'll get a little bit offended but I think its true...If you wanna see what I say about my place go here..:
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15827112/page/0/fpart/3/vc/1
I want to hone my skill... learn true martial arts.