can u give me some advice please?

Posted by: fraser_tkd

can u give me some advice please? - 02/03/06 10:25 AM

Hey! I have been studying TKD for few months now and been stretching, running and working on the bag for sometime. But i cant seem to lift my leg to head height. I can lift my leg high enough to reach my chin area but no further. I am 6ft2 and i am sure i could do better. any suggestions?
Posted by: JoelM

Re: can u give me some advice please? - 02/03/06 10:31 AM

I'm sure you'l get help here, but you can also get a lot of info in the stretching forum:
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/4
Posted by: Dereck

Re: can u give me some advice please? - 02/03/06 11:31 AM

Joel is correct and this would best be answered in the Stretching Forum. I have also moved your post about "Touching My Toes" to the Stretching Forum as it also would be better answered there.

I'm not quite sure why you want to lift your leg to head height? Are you able to kick to head height? Is this easy or difficult or not at all? As you said you have only been doing this a few months so give it time. If this is your goal then you will need to work at it properly.

In the Stretching Forum you will come across a book by Kurz that many have found helpful. This book is called "Stretching Scientifically" and you might also find it helpful. Run you question there and I'm sure there will be others that have run into the same problems that you are. Good Luck.
Posted by: fraser_tkd

Re: can u give me some advice please? - 02/03/06 11:41 AM

i can kick to roughly my chin height. i want to get higher tho. im 6ft2. i can kick high but struggle a little keepin my leg straight and keepin my balance.
Posted by: dicen

Re: can u give me some advice please? - 02/04/06 07:46 AM

how long is a few months? Flexibility is due to individual dna, but at a certain level say intermediate you should be flexible enough to kick head level, around cheek high would be practicle.

There are ways to improve flexibility but that has more to do with your threshold of pain and focus. Stretching 30 mins before and 30 mins after every practice should help as well as stretching everyday for about an hour.