Advice for younger students sparring older ones

Posted by: KarlHTKDSTUDENT

Advice for younger students sparring older ones - 01/31/06 10:33 PM

At the dojang I used to go to we had set days where all we did was spar. I used to go to the kids classes but becasue of the lack of focus caused by a room filled with young kids, I started going to the adult classes, and besides that sparring little kids isn't much fun . Anyway, I enjoyed the adult classes and started to spar with the adults also. I found out early on that they were able to pack a punch, especially the heavier ones. Well, I found out after a while that even though I wasn't about to equal there level in power, I was still able to beat them becasue I was able to move faster than them. I'm not saying I was able to kick faster or better than them, I'm saying I was able to evade most of their attacks and make a quick counter attack because I was younger and usually had more enrergy. So my strategy became to quickly evade an attack then make a quick counter attack then back off and keep doing this. This probably seems like common sense, but it was just something I thought of while reading some other posts, sorry if it's useless.
-Karl
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Advice for younger students sparring older one - 02/01/06 04:41 PM

My advice is to run around screaming like a eunuch, then, when his guard is down, leap round and bite his foot off. Then, while he's lying on the floor screaming in agony, with blood squirting in all directions, deliver a killer finger tap to his death spot (it's the armpit, for those of you not versed in my proper, traditional Taekwon-do). Works every time, in my experience, although occasionally I have to alternate it by secreting a machete in my Dobuk and slicing the oldy's pinky off. What can I say, I'm a one-man euthenasia program.

Oh, and for more information on my ancient style of TKD, you may wish to refer to one of many of my seminal books, 'groping blindman, screaming pussy'
Posted by: onb

Re: Advice for younger students sparring older ones - 02/01/06 05:24 PM

Karl,

I don't think it's usless at all but more acurately, it is good advice for anyone young or old. If you are faster and can evade the hit, you're that much further ahead. The best strike is the one you don't get hit with.

BTW, I've run into some extremely slow juniors in my club and rely heavily on the dodge and evade technique against them. (and I'm definately considered the slow guy in the adult class) The only nice thing there is if my dodging is a little slow that day, at least I know he can't kick as hard as the BBs in the club

Re: Advice for younger students sparring older one - 02/01/06 05:31 PM

Yeah, more on topic this time, there are plenty of very slow young guys. I guess the main issue I have with fighting 'seniors' is that some of them do seem to hit rather too hard... I mean, fair enough, hit me, but if I score a light tap on you, then make as if to leave you alone, don't turn round and smack me in the face! Then again, I've noticed that this is a problem with Juniors as well... Maybe I just lack that 'killer instinct' to put the boot in... but, hell, I'm there to train, not brawl!

When fighting seniors, I tend to basically try and keep things moving fast - very few have the cardio-vascular endurance to keep up with us young-uns, so keep them moving after you, force them to initiate the first few combos, you know, tire them out. Then you can start to control the sparring. Having said that, I'm still struggling on the whole 'don't get hit' thing, so what is my advice worth?
Posted by: onb

Re: Advice for younger students sparring older one - 02/01/06 06:55 PM

Yes, back on topic...

Tim, you have a really good point. I've noticed that the young guys use your technique fairly successfully on me too. They try to run me a bit and then pounce in the later portion of the round. Hmmm, maybe time for me to start working on the ol' cardio
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Advice for younger students sparring older one - 02/02/06 04:17 PM

I'm not sure what kind of sparring you practice, but if you can evade attacks thats a good skill to have. Not all styles teach counters to different attacks, but if you would like to learn some real good counters to kicking attakc you should check out Tae Kwon Do by Yeon Hee Park, Yeon Hwan Park and Jon Gerrard. It's got alot of sparring techniques such as attacking techniques, defensive counterattack techniques. The more advance book which is meant our for Black belts and above have more advance counteratacks.

These techniqwues might be hard to understand on your own but you can always ask your teacher for help.

Hint: on the defensive blocking counterattacks, dont use your hands to block a kick attack, avoid the attack let it fly by then you attack. It's not a good idea blocking kicks when they are comming at you full blast, best to evade them, let them pass by then counter immediatly.
Posted by: jamestkdkungfu

Re: Advice for younger students sparring older one - 02/02/06 09:09 PM

yeah it is i give the black belts in my club a good run for there money. i evad most kicks and do doubles alot and i set them up for lots of sidekicks. they always think that if im not setting up for backkick i cant get them if there facing me head on....

Re: Advice for younger students sparring older one - 02/02/06 09:14 PM

Oh im one of three 16 year olds in my adult class and i have to say im pretty good (but who wouldnt say that)
the older people have this natural strength on there side that i cant explain its like u hit 21 then you gain like a million in strength pionts what is with that...that is why im a speed guy cant stand taking a hit from a guy who weighs 230 when im 140....
Posted by: able

Re: Advice for younger students sparring older one - 02/02/06 11:08 PM

I am old and I am fast, Stealthy you might say. But I am small and have always relied on speed. 52 and still quick. Isn't that normal..Yes it is. It's not the age it's the weight or the "tired" that slows them down.

Able

Re: Advice for younger students sparring older one - 02/03/06 12:10 AM

yes you are right most men tend to get bulky though that fight it seems i no one guy who is thin and fast but asthmatic so tis hard for him
Posted by: schanne

Re: Advice for younger students sparring older one - 02/03/06 12:06 PM

Be very carefull sparring the "old guys", we fight smarter and we are sneaky!

Let's hear it for the "old guys", we can still rock!
Posted by: dicen

Re: Advice for younger students sparring older one - 02/04/06 08:12 AM

For the kiddies
when sparring adults don't go power shot for power thats just gonna get you hurt. Get in and get out thats the only way to beat a guy who has more power than you. Also when sparring adults know that the power they use is the same they recieve from poeple their age so its not personal they expect you to throw that type of power when sparring at you.

For the geezers(me included )
Most young adults that aren't black belts have a small fear of us. Its nothing that they won't get over but its still there so for the first few seconds they'll be hesitent. Or all you have to do is land a well placed round house kick to make them respect your power. Once their hurt they'll even be more hesitent to attack.

Re: Advice for younger students sparring older one - 02/06/06 03:51 PM

Quote:

Or all you have to do is land a well placed round house kick to make them respect your power. Once their hurt they'll even be more hesitent to attack.

I am uneasy about the idea that you should be aiming to hurt people, yet alone kids, insparring... It's about practice, not beating up on those who are smaller than you (often known as 'bullying').