AAU tae kwon do

Posted by: HanLung

AAU tae kwon do - 01/22/06 04:54 AM

well.. this is my first thread...
I just wanna ask everyone here, if they know about an organization for TKD called AAU

its website is www.aautaekwondo.org

ummm... can it be considered as mcdojang?? since I read that to get 1st dan, you need 30 month (minimum) of training and minimum age is 8 years old

so please tell me your comment...

thangks
Posted by: VDJ

Re: AAU tae kwon do - 01/22/06 09:06 AM

Quote:

well.. this is my first thread...
I just wanna ask everyone here, if they know about an organization for TKD called AAU

its website is www.aautaekwondo.org

ummm... can it be considered as mcdojang?? since I read that to get 1st dan, you need 30 month (minimum) of training and minimum age is 8 years old

so please tell me your comment...

thangks

I am a member of the AAU. First off, AAU TKD is not a school it is an organization (Amatuer Athletic Union), it is affiliated with the WTF (World Tae Kwon Do Union) Thru the former USTU, now known as TaeKwonDo USA. The member's operate autonomously as far as politics are concerned, in other words, the instructor chooses the curriculum. You can do the Chang Hon patterns (ITF) or the Palgwe patterns or a combination of both (as we do in my school). The 30 months (2 1/2 years) is a minimum, most likely longer (it took me 4 years for first dan and another 2 1/2 for second. I am coming up on 3 years at second and am still waiting to hear if I can go for third at the next testing).Although the AAU certificate is primary, you can also obtain a Kukkiwon Certificate thru the program.The nice thing about AAU is that you can belong to the ITF and still be a member, this opens up the door to these members who have Olympic aspirations as they can try out for the AAU National team which then opens the door for the National Olympic trials (all under WTF sparring rules of course). It's officials/coaching program is under the strict guidance of the WTF international instructors (just did my renewal yesterday, 4 hours long). Although I like the autonomy of the schools as to keep free from politics, it also has a way of "Changing" a system. This is why the ITF is consistent in it's instruction in schools thru out the world. In closing, this is not to say that a "McDojang" can't find it's way into the org.,but I have yet to see one. I don't mean this sarcastically, but did you look at the whole website in what the AAU is about or just look at the Dan requirements section. The web page really doesn't look like it is a school but just what it is an organization.

VDJ