Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense

Posted by: TeK9

Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense - 01/21/06 07:13 PM

Hello,

As some of you know I recently started taking hapkido. So far we've gone over all the basic falls and now we are moving on to the techniques.

We've started with the basic wrist grab and how to escape it by breaking the hold by applying pressure towards the attackers thumb and index finder grip. Then we added a strike once we broke free then we added turn lock, folllowed by a throw. So we basically added other techniques to the basic wrist lock escape.

This is going on with other basic techniques, like the armbar.

How ever so far we have just learned techniques. I asked my instructor why have't we learned how to appply these techniques in a self ddefense situation and he said it's because we are learning the art of hapkido.

I was confused because from my research on hapkido I had come to think that the art of hapkido was self defense.
I thought we were going to learn basic techniques and then learn how to apply them into basic self defense, once we've gone through basic we move on to mnore advance combinations. However, he says the at and the self defense aspectof hapkido are different, can anyone ellaborate on this? I wanted to ask him more questions but he was bing very vague with his answers and I didnt want to annoy him.
Posted by: h2whoa

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense - 01/22/06 12:29 AM

An artist must learn to use his brush before he can paint a picture....HKD is an art...some more arty than others (have high kicks)...you generally learn motion before you can apply it..HKD is pretty dangerous...it is dangerous to train in....breaking arms is not uncommon in the dojang...just take it easy...dont be to eager..learn what the master is teaching you because when you get to a higher level you are going to be thankful that you learned these basics the way you did...HKD is a long art to learn...longer than most to master...it is a fine art...lots of motor skills and studying iof the human mechanics....dont rush..what you want will come in due course!

*bows respectfully*
Posted by: Subedei

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense - 01/22/06 05:27 AM

What exactly would you like in terms of combat application? Unless I misunderstand what you're saying it seems perfectly fine to me. Grabbing the wrist is a pretty common means of trying to restrain someone, you just learned a way to break their grip and a good followup attack. What more could you do? Pay close attention to concepts. One who fully understands the concepts behind what they are doing can apply them dynamically as needed, one who only knows techniques is limited to what they are directly taught.

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense - 01/22/06 05:37 AM

I think he is talking in terms of resistance on the street and compliance in the dojang!

*bows respectfully*
Posted by: Subedei

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense - 01/22/06 06:15 AM

Joint manipulation technique must be done very quickly and with actual force. If you're just starting out you could seriously hurt someone trying to pull them off in a compact effective manner. Besides, you should be focusing on the mechanics right now. Practice for a year or two, then worry about whether you can make a technique work in reality. Joint manipulations are one of the hardest things to learn. Master the basics in a safe, helpful environment first or they will not work, ever.

The wrist grab break is so simple you should be able to step up the amount of resistance almost immediately. Just ask your partner to incrementally increase the amount he resists the technique and see where you can pull it off consistantly and where you can't. If your instructor tells you to stop then do it, keeping you safe is his job and you need to let him do it.

What you need to keep in mind is that 80% of the Hapkido carriculum requires a lot of practice before it's combat ready, be patient and focus on understanding everything from the ground up.
Posted by: Paulol

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense - 01/22/06 09:19 AM

I agree with most of what has been posted above!

But taking too long to give a student skills that will hopefully result in them being able to use the techniques shown to them (as in learning how to apply them under pressure) could end up with a student that encounters a real situation and tries to apply what they have learnt in isloation in the dojang. When it fails to work, who will they blame??

It's the way world is today! But if we want to give new students a proper sense of ability then we must give then live skills as they develop.

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense - 01/22/06 04:15 PM

HKD is what it is....my master explained that it is a art that takes years to master....if the students want the skills to fight asap..take up TKD, or karate or boxing these tach you how to fight and defend your self in a relatively short time compared to HKD!

But you will never regret HKD!

*bows respectfully*
Posted by: SaBumNim

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense - 01/22/06 04:42 PM

[quote ....if the students want the skills to fight asap..take up TKD/quote]

Trust me, it takes years to learn how to utilize TKD techniques for effective self defense applications.

SaBum Nim

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defen - 01/22/06 05:14 PM

My research on hapkido led me to believe that it was an art based on pure self defense. They waisted no time memorizing usuless poomse, they practiced techniques/concepts and then learned how to apply them with actual self defense situation.

To me only aspect that was difficult in TKD was memorizing the poomse. And I come realize that I never use techniques from them anyways.

Further with the sparring aspect of olympic TKD teaches the student how to utilize his skills much faster than the traditional TKD. They may not be well versed in al forms of hand techniques, but they have incredible leg attacks. This does not mean thay are going to throw high arial spinning kcks. Simple that they are very comfortable facing an opponent who intends to hurt them. It is true that sparring is not fighting, but it is the next best thing to learning how to fight.

I don't intend on mastering hapkido in 1 year however, considering since it is a system based on countless number of techniques upon techniques, I think I should be able to apply what I know rather quickly.

If you read my first post, we began learning the armbar technique. We know many ways to apply it...providing that our partner allows us to grab his arm in any direction or form. What I would have liked to know was how to apply this effective technique during a live situation.

Although I am a TKD practitioner and already have that knowledge, I was hoping the instrcutor would have taught it. Right now from what I know as a white belt hapkido student is how to apply the armbar however, i do not know the situation in which to use it.

Please no more Mr. Miyagi wannabe phrases, they sound cute but eventualy get annoying. Please continue with your advice though, I do appreciate it.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defen - 01/22/06 08:34 PM

Quote:

[quote ....if the students want the skills to fight asap..take up TKD/quote]

Trust me, it takes years to learn how to utilize TKD techniques for effective self defense applications.

SaBum Nim

That depends, a punch is simpler to execute in self defense imho than a proper lock, because it's more dangerous and easier imho to have someone escape from your lock than it is for them to avoid your strike with only a small amount of training. I also feel that basic strikes are easier to learn functionally in a short period of time.
Posted by: traz

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defen - 01/23/06 07:17 AM

Just wait, for the first few belts in my school, almost everything was taught exclusively from a wrist grab or lapel grab. But, as I'm sure you'll be taught later on, those same wrist grab counters can be applied as someone pushes or punches or stabs you. You're just learning the technique, and as you get comfortable flowing from different techniques, then you learn the different contexts in which they can be used. At the same time we did sparring to work on our punches and kicks...so its not like we were useless during the first few belts.

Thats what it was like in my school...however my teacher explained it that way whenever a white belt asked as well.

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense - 01/23/06 08:23 AM

I meant no offense...but it does take longer to learn locking arts then striking arts!

*bows respectfully*
Posted by: Hapkid0ist

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defense - 01/24/06 02:11 PM

I think that maybe your teacher itsn't explaining the basics to you. Before you can learn to use any joint manipulation technique in say a punch defense,you must first learn it at its most basic position.If you are not prficient at a technique that ultimatly breaks the elbow, and you try it agains someone, or even better someone else who barley understands it wants to try it against you, whatdo you think is gonna happen. Your teacher should let you know that 98% of your techniques are also punch defenses. But you must first learn them at their most basic positions. This happens to be grabs. As I say to my students, the only difference between a grab and a punch is speed and intention. If you can't do it at a grab, you have no hope of performing it at a punch. As far as Poomse, well most traditional HKD schools do not have them. Those that do are either TKD based, or for what ever reason the instructor feels they are beneficial.
The biggest problem most new students have is this. Let me post a paper we give new students. Our basic techniques "grab defenses" our our foundations. A house can not stand without a foundation, nor can a student without the foundations of their chosen art. Patince, or you will never gain true knowledge.

"THE BEGINNER

One of the most difficult lessons the new student must learn is that progress in Hap Ki Do is slow. Each person beginning instruction wants to begin immediately on advanced techniques, forgetting the basic framework. So it would be wise for each person to consider the following guides when first training:

1. Hap Ki Do is not only a self-defense but also an art form; the art is eventually the ability to control the mind, spirit and body toward a more coordinated being. And, first as the piano student must play notes, then scales, Hap Ki Do students must learn the basics of stance and position before incorporating technique.

2. As the musician must practice everyday, so must the serious student of Hap Ki Do.

3. Not only is it important to practice consistently, but also slowly. The slower the beginner practice, the faster progress will be made. The student is less likely to overlook details so crucial to further development.

4. Never compare yourself to other students. The Subumn is the only one responsible for you. But after all, the belt is only a symbol of accomplishment, not the accomplishment itself.

5. All students begin training at different levels of development. This in not to say that two students may join class at the same time, but one is already advancing. Not all have equal ability; therefore, progression is individual."

Hap Ki Do is a life style, not a fad.

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defen - 01/24/06 10:21 PM

Traz thanks for the advice I think you described my situation down to a tee. Thanks

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defen - 01/24/06 10:26 PM

Thank you for your post, I hope you will contribute more to the TKD/Hapkido forum. We need a fresh perspective on things.

I am a TKD practitioner who is taking hapkido for the first time, it's actually been something I've wanted to do for quite some time. Because I've researched hapkido and have come to the conclusion that it'sa no non-sense martial art. I figure it would compliment my TKD skills, particularly the lack of self defense techniques.

I have a question for you, what do you think about poomse training? I personally think it's a waist of time, and there are other methods of practicing the basics rather than going to some solo pre-arranged pattern that doesn't even have combat application to it. What are you thoughts sir?

Re: Hapkido Difference between Art and Self Defen - 01/24/06 10:51 PM

Poomse....I learn HKD..but my supplimentry art is karate...many people discredit the Kata..which is just the japanese form of poomse...kata is karate...you must understand the kata...how it applies what it means...each movement is a movement of self defense using the tools of the chosen art...as was said before you must understand the basics before you can apply...each block strike, is applied to different situations..as you grow in MA you will recognise this!

Do not discredit it untill you understand it fully...learning how to kick and punch correctly is one thing..but you do it to apply to poomse/kata!

*bows respectfully*