New forum member.

Posted by: korean

New forum member. - 01/20/06 05:52 AM

Hello! I'd like to introduce myself to fellow students and teachers.

I am currently a white belt in Taekwondo. Several years ago I took Taekwondo and received a blue belt, but I decided to start over. I also took Kuksoolwon (part of the World Hapkido Federation) for 12 years.
I have competed in several Open Tournaments (3 gold, 1 silver, 1 loss) in the State of California. I am currently under rigorous training to compete in a National tournament.

My long term goal is to compete in the Olympics. Only within the past 6 months have I started studying the WTF style of fighting. I have to say, it is hands-down my favorite style. Even with the new rules implemented, I enjoy WTF style sparring.

I hope I can learn a lot from you guys!
Posted by: 40+TKDLee

Re: New forum member. - 01/20/06 07:37 AM

Welcome to the forum, and good luck in your tournament training!

Pilsung!
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: New forum member. - 01/20/06 07:40 AM

Welcome to the lion pit ! just kidding, welcome aboard korean.
Posted by: oldman

Re: New forum member. - 01/20/06 08:32 AM

Welcome.
Posted by: Tino

Re: New forum member. - 01/20/06 10:04 AM

Welcome Korean,glad to hear you enjoying TKD so much.Do you notice a big difference between TKD and KUKsoolwon?
Posted by: comptech35

Re: New forum member. - 01/20/06 11:53 AM

Hello and Welcome Korean
Posted by: Supremor

Re: New forum member. - 01/20/06 03:27 PM

Welcome and enjoy the forums.

Re: New forum member. - 01/20/06 04:53 PM

Quote:

Welcome Korean,glad to hear you enjoying TKD so much.Do you notice a big difference between TKD and KUKsoolwon?

Yes, I do notice a big difference between TKD and KSW. The main difference is in the fact that the training I received in KSW was not very functional. For example, in a roundhouse kick, I was never taught the function and importance of the chamber and snap. My kicks used to be a long sweep (very pretty for demos) without a full chamber.

After learning the chamber and snap technique, I started working on kicking bags and realized that my kicks were improving on speed and power. The snap also applies to punches as well, which is another technique I learned only in TKD.

As I began sparring with TKD teammates, I found out that KSW helped me in a way I couldn't imagine. Sparring at KSW involved a lot more punching. My mind was used to dodging a lot of quick attacks or parrying them with counter attacks. At TKD, I got my butt handed to me countless times, but I have been commented on my agility in defense.

On the other hand, I have a lot to work on. But every day of training makes me stronger, faster or smarter.

Does anybody know how to strengthen ankles? My ankels tend to give out after awhile.
Posted by: spoonhammer

Re: New forum member. - 01/21/06 10:37 AM

Quote:

Does anybody know how to strengthen ankles? My ankels tend to give out after awhile.

Jumping rope works wonders for me, also helps with timing and cardio.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: New forum member. - 01/21/06 11:40 AM

Hey whats up, welcome to the site. My friends call me TeK. In a way I myself am kind of a born again TKD stylist. I hope your goingto be sharring your experiences as you progress in your training. I think it would helpful to get a fresh perspective on things.

Sounds like your doing Olympic style sparring if thats the case your not really going to be blocking durring sparring, more like evading, avoiding and dodging, all these will combine with counter attacking techniques.

My brother twisted his ankle playing racket ball and now when he practices he has to pop it before and after practice, its a real loud and nasty sound. A good way to stregthen it would be jump rope.

So you like the sexy kicks eh, yea I was smitten by them when I first started WTF style also. I had come from traditional TKD so my kicks usualy sent a telegram to my opponents before they got there. It's a whole new game now.
Posted by: Tino

Re: New forum member. - 01/21/06 04:40 PM

Thanks for the informative response Korean.Its interesting to hear of the differences in other styles.As for ankle strength I believe toe raises may be of some benefit in strengthening the ligaments and tendons in that joint.

Re: New forum member. - 01/22/06 02:24 AM

Jumproping is one of my favorite exercises. However, jumproping (just like running) is not a good thing to do on concrete, or other very solid surfaces.

I just came back from snowboarding about 2 hours ago and my feet are aching! While I was showering after the trip, I noticed certain parts of my leg were very sore, and everywhere else was fine. My ankles were, for some reason, aching when I turned them in circles. But if you think about the configuration of bindings, your ankle does not move much, if at all. Carving toe side requires a lot of strength in the calf muscles, due to the motions and pushing needed. So somehow, the muscles needed to carve toe side and the ligaments and tendons near the ankle are used hand-in-hand.

Any thoughts?

Tek9, yes, I am studying Olympic style. WTF regulation to be exact.

Eat. Sleep. TKD.
Posted by: HanLung

Re: New forum member. - 01/22/06 04:47 AM

hii all... im also new here

just started TKD

also i've been in haedong kundo for only 2 month XD

well... instead of make a new thread, i decided to introduce my self here.

thangks for everyone