Need some advice..

Posted by: nospoon_TKD

Need some advice.. - 01/12/06 12:36 PM

Hello fellow TKD's

I could use some advice for the following.
In about about 2 months I will have a open all style tournament.
That means a lot of different typs of MA's will be present.

Are there people here who has those expierence?

Thanks a ton in advance
Posted by: Ethanael

Re: Need some advice.. - 01/12/06 07:00 PM

Nothing specific from me...

Train harder than before and rest for a few days to a week or so before the competition.

Try to get good nutrition during the months before the competition.

Practice sparring people if you can.

-Ethan
Posted by: onb

Re: Need some advice.. - 01/12/06 07:02 PM

Two things... first, go talk to your instructor. Usually they've been to them so can give you an idea of other fighting styles and the things to watch out for... and try taking a class or two from other clubs/styles. Not to learn how to do their fighting but just to see what it looks like and how it feels to be attacked with their movements and styles.

onb
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Need some advice.. - 01/12/06 07:30 PM

If it's an open 3 point tournament. Meaning 3 points and you win. Don't bother using your rear leg. In this style of sparring it's all about speed not much power. Your going to be using your hands more, particularly the backfist.

Usually when they throw a back fist, they follow up by turning it into a high block then using a reverse punch.

Common Technique:
Sometimes they start thier attack with a lead leg side kick, followed by high back fist(to the face), turn the back fist into a high block and follow up with a reverse punch to the stomach. You will see this attack alot.

Warning: Becareful sometimes these tournaments can turn into boxing matches, since it's all about speed sometimes they turn into boxing matches. And punches are thrown with no regard for control.

If your a TKD stylist it will probably be difficult for you to score with your legs, since the hands are quicker. From my experience this kind f sparring is like a "tag game" first person to touch gets the point regardless of how ineffective the attack was.

Remember back fist is the most commmon attack so prepare to high block it, sometimes competators may leap at you with crazy jumps just to tag you with a backfist.

Good Luck
Posted by: SaBumNim

Re: Need some advice.. - 01/12/06 11:02 PM

I agree with Tek9, you will probably see a lot of back fists if this is predominantly a Karate tournament. Ridge hands are also very popular, maybe more so than the back fist. Also relatively hard face contact with hand techniques may be allowed. Additionally, it is very likely that points will be awarded for techniques to the groin, and sweeping will be permitted. Therefore high kicking is probably not recommended unless you are very fast, and even then it’s probably not the best idea.

As far as forms go, I see that many Karate tournaments now have a separate division for Korean forms. If not you may need to adapt your form to suite the Japanese-style judges. (i.e. no sine wave, lower stances and louder and longer kihaps).

I have competed in many Japanese-style tournaments when I was younger. I am fairly familiar with how they are run an officiated. Are there any specific questions that you have?

SaBum Nim
Posted by: nospoon_TKD

Re: Need some advice.. - 01/13/06 02:42 AM

Quote:

I have competed in many Japanese-style tournaments when I was younger. I am fairly familiar with how they are run an officiated. Are there any specific questions that you have?

SaBum Nim

Thank you'll for you're replies, one question.
I wonder what different MA practisioners I could aspect.
Posted by: SaBumNim

Re: Need some advice.. - 01/13/06 08:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you'll for you're replies, one question.
I wonder what different MA practisioners I could aspect.

Find out who is sponsoring / organizing the tournament. This should give you an idea of what styles to expect. Chances are that many of the students from the sponsoring school will be competing, as well as students from schools with similar styles.

Hope this helps.

SaBum Nim