Anyone get nervous before class starts?

Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/08/06 04:07 AM

I've been going to my dojang for 8 months now (green belt) and I still get butterflies in my stomach before class starts. Its not that I fear anything or that I'm not confident, but I don't know what it is. Some of my friends tell me they get it too. Anyone else get this? Why do you think it happens?
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/08/06 04:19 AM

I've been doing martial arts for 16 years and I still get butterflies in my stomach before some classes (especially gradings). It's a sign that you really care about what you're doing and that you'll take it seriously. Don't worry about it.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/08/06 05:51 AM

Yup. Sometimes I want to stay home because I fear what will happen but am always glad I go to find out I survived. Butterflies before testing all of the time.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/08/06 07:55 AM

Not exactly sure if my butterflies are the same as yours but I get nervous because I'm an asthmatic and my school trains athletes for competition so we do constant drills that require constant movement. Even though I gotten through many practices for many years, if I were to take say 2 weeks off from practice, I'd probably start hyperventalating during class breaks which would lead to minor or major asthma attacks. And when your trying to keep up with elite athletes it gets embarressing to stop and pull out the spray inhalent. Then again it is all in my mind.

"Do or do not...there is no try"
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/08/06 10:21 AM

Ditto, I get them too and after going to class I was happy the butterflies didnt' win and i stayed home..:)
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/08/06 11:05 AM

Only when we spar, or the higher ranks come in abundance.They constantly dog you down, i love it! Butterflies are nothing more than energy all balled up, just use it to your advantage and explod in training!
Posted by: Sushi

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/08/06 12:20 PM

I sometimes have butterflies in my stomach when I do sparring with certain girls
Posted by: Ethanael

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/08/06 12:39 PM

Quote:

I sometimes have butterflies in my stomach when I do sparring with certain girls

Haha! Same here.
Posted by: Intrepidinv1

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/08/06 01:29 PM

This probably means that you have a very tough instructor who likes to put you through your paces. I remember training when I was younger and my instructor was tough and the training was too. So yes, I remember getting nervous. I don't get nervous much anymore though. I think sparring, randori, etc. probably can create this type of feeling too, nothing to worry about!
Posted by: Diga

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/08/06 03:37 PM

You bet ya . And I think that is a good thing.

Getting butterflies means that you are going to give it all you have.
I found that the combination of pre-class butterflies and enough time to do some deep breathing exercises before class, pumped me up so much that, sometimes I even amazed myself. I would wonder - Why do I have so much energy and most of the rest of the class is dragging.
I think being ready is what it was.

Stay inthusiastic about the arts and you will have a great time.
Posted by: nospoon_TKD

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/10/06 06:20 AM

Quote:

Yup. Sometimes I want to stay home because I fear what will happen but am always glad I go to find out I survived. Butterflies before testing all of the time.

What do you fear? the pain?

I also think that butterflies are a good sign.

- It makes your hard pump harder wich is produced by adrenaline and adrenaline gives you good reflexes

Or.. your in love with your instructor hehe.. but I don't think you ment that
Posted by: onb

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/10/06 09:18 AM

TKD class is kinda like xmas... the night before xmas, all kids are so excited and looking forward to it that they cant sleep and they have butterflies in their stomachs...

TKD is several times a week xmas that we give ourselves because we love it so much.

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/10/06 09:18 AM

Quote:

What do you fear? the pain?

Maybe a little. You never know what type of class is planned because everyday is different. Some workouts prior to the actual training are crazy and then others are so so. Then some classes are crazy and others are so so. The crazy stuff obviously is the best training ... most of the time ... but also excites and scares at the same time. Not sure if I can fully explain it.

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/10/06 09:29 AM

Dereck,

Kinda like when you're going into a sparring match with one of the guys in your club that you know has totally figured out your fighting style and can OWN you... you get the excitment about the potential for pain, but also the potential that you've grown as a fighter and my come out on top this time... fear of the unknown potentials?

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/10/06 10:29 AM

Yes ... like that. Nervous ... a little scared but once you've done it you are glad you did.
Posted by: Diga

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/10/06 12:55 PM

- It makes your hard pump harder wich is produced by adrenaline and adrenaline gives you good reflexes

Or...your in love with your instructor hehe.. but I don't think you ment that
--------------------------------
Well now.....come to think of it.....there were sometimes nice ladies in class and that just added to the butterflies in an extra nice way but still similar to what this topic is about - so - for me, the pre-class butterflies was not for fear but anticipation and excitement of the activities ahead.
Posted by: fiXXXer

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/12/06 10:04 AM

In all honesty, I haven't got butterflies, or anything like it, for about a year now - even at tests.
While they may be a type of pent-up energy, I think it's also a matter of self-confidence, which I am in abundance with.
Where I study, most of the students worry too much -- they get too nervous.

You must simply be mentally prepared to give your best, and not be embarrassed – everything is about your outlook and how you want things to be. Attitude really is everything.

All in all, butterflies aren’t a bad thing, but I think you just need to chill out and have the right mindset.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/12/06 10:50 AM

Hello Heretik:

At SOME point during classes, at lots of points in your training you should be nervous, sometimes more than others. Coping with that is e-x-a-c-t-l-y what the training is all about!!!

Consider you are among friends, in a perhaps a more intense atmosphere (compaired to your normal day) but none are truly attempting you serious harm. How many people in the ~outside world~ could you hit, work with in this fashion and STILL be friends, deeper friends perhaps than before?!

Nervous is good, and very normal.... it means something is happening... your body is turning up your defenses, preparing for it.... whether you are actively, knowingly ~throwing the switch~ or not (And hey, its a GOOD thing to have your heart pounding, adrenaline flowing when the lion is in the cave, right <wg>?).

Do you feel it should be differently??? What do you attribute to the sensation, these ~every class~ feelings???

J

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/12/06 11:07 PM

Personally, I think I just get it because I don't know what to expect. Its not that I'm not confident in my abilities(even during tests, I make sure I'm prepared and know everything I should), its just the waiting before the class starts. Once it does, I'm fine, I don't really get embarrassed even if I mess something up. I kind of like it, though. At the end of class I'm glad I went, so I guess its a good thing.
Posted by: CrossTraining

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/13/06 08:00 PM

Wow great topic, awesome input...in fact on weds.night I was on my way to class thinking about this same thing. Lots of you hit it on the head for me. I do care about this, it's really important to me.. I started training when I was 39 without any type of sports background, and sometimes I still feel that "What are you doing out here on the mat with people years younger than you, THEY'RE GOING TO KILL YOU" feeling. But the butterflies leave when I realize I can hold my own
CrossTraining

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/14/06 12:40 AM

Well I'm glad I made the topic since I was thinking about it for a long time. It happened today too, since the Grandmaster was teaching and I had to be at my best. Looks like I'm gonna be sore for a while...
Posted by: TexasTKD

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/16/06 09:45 AM

This happens to me also, and I have known my instructor for 4 years!!
Posted by: backkick

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/20/06 09:08 PM

Yeah, I get them sometimes too before class, usually gradings or special classes. Also after doing TKD for past 6 years I started judo (last year or so) and I get butterflies more often before those classes.

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/23/06 07:31 PM

Oh yeah... does anyone mention the butterflies to anyone in their classes? While I'm sure I'm not the only one in my class that gets them, it seems kind of embarrassing to bring it up.

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/24/06 12:35 AM

Correct ... have never discussed them with anybody that I can remember ... but you are probably correct that others feel them too.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/24/06 10:59 AM

I don't get nervous before regular classes, but I do get very nervous before testings. At my last one (for red belt) I actually took the day off from work, cause I knew I wouldn't be good for anything. Once testing starts though, I'm fine.

But I used to get very nervious when I had to get up to perform my pattern by myself in front of my instructor. I'd practically be shaking in my dobok. Fortunately, I've gotten over that fear, or at least I thought I had until my instructors instructor visited for a seminar and I had to demonstrate the first move of my pattern. Absolutely completely bombed it the first try. I honestly don't think I could have done worse if I had tried!

And I still get nervous before a patterns competition at tournaments. I often get an adrenillan rush the moment I get called for staging, as annoying as it is, and if I don't have enough time to relax before I actually compete, it really affects my performance. I go too fast, my body feels shaky, etc. The first couple of tournaments, I was so scared, that the only way I managed to get through it was through muscle memory, because I couldn't think straight enough to think about what I was doing.

Laura

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/24/06 01:37 PM

Quote:

I don't get nervous before regular classes, but I do get very nervous before testings. At my last one (for red belt) I actually took the day off from work, cause I knew I wouldn't be good for anything. Once testing starts though, I'm fine.

But I used to get very nervious when I had to get up to perform my pattern by myself in front of my instructor. I'd practically be shaking in my dobok. Fortunately, I've gotten over that fear, or at least I thought I had until my instructors instructor visited for a seminar and I had to demonstrate the first move of my pattern. Absolutely completely bombed it the first try. I honestly don't think I could have done worse if I had tried!

And I still get nervous before a patterns competition at tournaments. I often get an adrenillan rush the moment I get called for staging, as annoying as it is, and if I don't have enough time to relax before I actually compete, it really affects my performance. I go too fast, my body feels shaky, etc. The first couple of tournaments, I was so scared, that the only way I managed to get through it was through muscle memory, because I couldn't think straight enough to think about what I was doing.

Laura

That sounds really bad if it gets to level that it interferes with your performance. Is that nervousness only MA related or is it that you normally get nervous when doing things in public? I actually enjoy doing forms in the front of my class, since I'm sure I always do them right(albeit sloppy, heh).

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/24/06 07:01 PM

Quote:

I'm almost the oposite... I get so calm for my patterns at a tournament. For me, doing a pattern is almost like meditating. It clears my mind, and all I have left is the steps. I'm not saying I do them well per se but I find it totally calming.

In fact, when I was waiting in the hall way for the doctor to finish administering the epidural to my wife when my son was born, I was getting all jittery and nerveous and stuff, well, I started doing my patterns and all the sudden, i was as calm as ever. ... then I walked into the delivery room and the calmness kinda went away but then, you can't be punching and kicking around the room during a c-section.

Now, for the sparring portion of a tournament, I find that a little more "exciting". Then you're competing against a person and if they're better than you, you'll know right away as you get kicked.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/25/06 04:23 PM

I think its more a reaction from being called to staging. Its the oh crap! its time! gotta run back to my gear, run back to staging before its too late etc, and of course your gear, you, and staging are all as far apart as possible! lol. If I have enough time between then and when I actually compete, I'm fine.

The last tournament I competed at, I never even had time to blink before I competed. My instructor was hosting the tournament and I was responsible for running the computers, training, and keeping score for the center ring, while trying to find time to compete! I was still trying to train my replacement and take my socks and shoes off as I was being called compete at another ring. Fumbled for the name of my pattern, slipped, took my second place medal, congratulated my competitor, and ran back to my even more severely paniced replacement. Best tournament I've been too yet! lol

Laura

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/25/06 08:20 PM

Quote:

I think its more a reaction from being called to staging. Its the oh crap! its time! gotta run back to my gear, run back to staging before its too late etc, and of course your gear, you, and staging are all as far apart as possible! lol. If I have enough time between then and when I actually compete, I'm fine.

The last tournament I competed at, I never even had time to blink before I competed. My instructor was hosting the tournament and I was responsible for running the computers, training, and keeping score for the center ring, while trying to find time to compete! I was still trying to train my replacement and take my socks and shoes off as I was being called compete at another ring. Fumbled for the name of my pattern, slipped, took my second place medal, congratulated my competitor, and ran back to my even more severely paniced replacement. Best tournament I've been too yet! lol

Laura

Yeesh, that sounds bad. Guess it was a one (wo)man band. Lately I've been getting nervous when getting asked simple yes or no questions.

Ex: I did my form sloppy during a promotion. I was tired both physically and mentally(latter being the worse IMO). Grandmaster asked me if I was practicing. If I said yes, then it'd make it look like I didn't really practice too hard and that I was telling a lie, which I wasn't. If I said no, then well..it makes me look lazy too.

It took me a while to think of how I should respond, I never got to answer when he told me that he could see I was tired and made told me to take a breather and try again. I did it much better. Those questions are hard to answer though, and it often feels like I spend an entire minute thinking.

Dunno if anyone else can relate.
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/29/06 03:51 PM

Quote:

I've been going to my dojang for 8 months now (green belt) and I still get butterflies in my stomach before class starts. Its not that I fear anything or that I'm not confident, but I don't know what it is. Some of my friends tell me they get it too. Anyone else get this? Why do you think it happens?

Yeah I used to get it all the time because at my Dojo, at the start we'd all draw straws and the ten people with the short straws would get beaten to death with haddocks. But I went to a proper, traditional dojo where they taught you to be tough.

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 01/30/06 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I used to get it all the time because at my Dojo, at the start we'd all draw straws and the ten people with the short straws would get beaten to death with haddocks. But I went to a proper, traditional dojo where they taught you to be tough.

I guess my dojang is no good...*reads medical bill*
Posted by: shurite44

Re: Anyone get nervous before class starts? - 02/06/06 05:13 PM

You are just anxious to train. It is a good thing.:)