No head contact in my dojang?

Posted by: bin

No head contact in my dojang? - 01/04/06 10:07 PM

My dojang doesn't allow head contact. This [censored] me off. Is this normal or a crappy place? Are a lot of place like that?
Posted by: Eric4444

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/04/06 10:09 PM

If you do WTF TKD then yes, most WTF schools are like that. It annoys me as well, but there's nothing you can do about it. THey wouldn't want to scare away parents from signing their kids up now would they?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/05/06 12:22 AM

I think that the younger the students are the less likely there will be head shots allowed. This I have found in many schools. As senior belts as juniors and adults head shots are the discretion of the two sparring should the Instructor decide that day head shots are allowed. As black belt there is no option, head shots are allowed. As senior adult belts and a lot of the larger juniors he would also like to see head shots in class. This doesn't mean you go full out and try to knock their blocks off ... you have to remember this is training.

If you are mad because you want to kick somebody in the head just for the sake of doing so and to feel good about it ... then I wouldn't allow head shots either. A good mentality and well being for your training partners comes first.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/05/06 01:27 AM

Thats strange that you observed WTF schools not allowing head shots. Because if the school is WTF emphasizes Olympic style sparring then head shots are usually a big part pf the training. Since it's part of the TKD sport.

I've read and heard about ITF schools not allowing any contact, but then again I'm sure not every school follows that rule.

But as far as WTF sparring schools not allowing head shots thats a rule usually only for the kids. Since I think 12 and under arn't allowed to kick to the head in tournaments.
Posted by: Sushi

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/05/06 04:10 AM

We are also not kicking the head during sparring in my school. I find that would be absolutely crazy, because we are preparing for tournaments and we want to go there unhurt.
We are training high kicks and we are intergrating head attacks without contact in sparring and are also counting them, as we are all enough experienced to feel whether the attack would have been succesfull in a fight.
But again. Kicking to the head during sparring would be far too dangerous. Remember well , your face is not protected by a helmet and I have seen enough broken noses and flying teeth, up to now in tournaments
Posted by: Supremor

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/05/06 05:12 AM

Quote:

Thats strange that you observed WTF schools not allowing head shots. Because if the school is WTF emphasizes Olympic style sparring then head shots are usually a big part pf the training. Since it's part of the TKD sport.

But the head is not a valid target for punches in Olympic sparring.

Quote:

I've read and heard about ITF schools not allowing any contact

In my experience, ITF schools' rules normally amount to semi contact to be agreed upon by the two students. Anything above the belt, but not the back is a legal target area with either hand or foot techniques.

But WTF sparring has a rule specifically against head punching, which is I think what the poster was asking about.

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/05/06 08:53 AM

Your right we dont do head shots durring sparring at my school either, what I meant is though when we do we do it with the lightest of contact, sometimes you see an oppertunity and you take it.

Sushi so you live in Germany? wow, thats kinda cool. I've never met a german before , well other than my philosophy teach I had from last quarter. It's funny because when I read your post I try toimagine a german accent.

This is actually one of the funnest things I've ever done on the internet, I just recently stop playing video games took to much time away from MA practice.
Its kind of weird talking to people from so many countries. To bad I can't use American slang...it wouldn't translate so good.

Oh I super excited I get to have my first Hapkido lesson tomorrow woot woot!
Posted by: blascun2k

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/05/06 10:50 AM

My instructers encourage head shots, even in younger advanced students, not strong, knock your head off shots, but contact is allowed. In competition on the other hand, no head contact if your under 12 years old, i think thats a WTF rule everywhere, though I could be wrong. But during class sparring, the kids under 12 are allowed to give slight contact to the head.

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/05/06 12:06 PM

Quote:

In competition on the other hand, no head contact if your under 12 years old, i think thats a WTF rule everywhere, though I could be wrong.

No, it is not! Most probably it is different from country to country. In Germany students under 13 have to wear foot-protecters but sparring is full contact to the head as well.

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/05/06 12:33 PM

Quote:

Sushi so you live in Germany? wow, thats kinda cool. I've never met a german before , well other than my philosophy teach I had from last quarter. It's funny because when I read your post I try toimagine a german accent.

ay good dry do right width german accent, my be dad gould help a liddle

I also love to talk with people from all over the world about Taekwondo.
By the way ! I have already visited North-Carolina six or seven years ago with my parents.
I remember the Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, because it took us hours for hours because of the speed limit...and my Dad was yelling all the time, because he was not used to drive that slow....and we had been to the ocean, that was fantastic! a lot of waves, but nobody at the beach.... and I think in Williamston or was it Willmington (had to look it up again) there is an old Western Town qou can visit, right?

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/05/06 02:58 PM

Sushi,

I've never been there, I live in Northern California.

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/05/06 03:49 PM

Quote:

Sushi,
I've never been there, I live in Northern California.

It seems to be a big advantage if one is able to read

Ok, so Northern California, not North Carolina!

So I´ve never been there. The farest North was San Francisco.

What time is it now in your place. Must be early in the morning!
Posted by: blascun2k

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/08/06 02:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

In competition on the other hand, no head contact if your under 12 years old, i think thats a WTF rule everywhere, though I could be wrong.

No, it is not! Most probably it is different from country to country. In Germany students under 13 have to wear foot-protecters but sparring is full contact to the head as well.

maybe your right, as I said, i could be wrong. And yes, there is a Wilmington NC near the coast, I was born in NC, lived on the Blue ridge pkwy, and your right, the speed limit sucks heh.
Posted by: TKwonTiger

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/08/06 09:05 PM

I belong to an ITF school and we do not use contact to the head when sparring, but we do practice techniques to the head and face on the bags or targets.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/09/06 03:50 PM

Quote:

I belong to an ITF school and we do not use contact to the head when sparring, but we do practice techniques to the head and face on the bags or targets.

That surprises me as I always enjoy visiting the ITF schools as to they normally DO allow head & face contact. Where abouts in PA are you ? I visit Master Lees place in East Greenville regularly. Are you near that area (Allentown) ?

VDJ
Posted by: bin

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/13/06 09:48 AM

I do WTF. The lack of face contact [censored] me off. I hate my dojang. I can't believe my master's so obssessed with safety. In a real fight, you never know when the guy's gonna give one to your face!

SO [censored] OFF!
Posted by: oldman

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/13/06 09:52 AM

We get it . You're [censored] off.
Posted by: MichelleKwondo

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/19/06 08:15 PM

I would think it would be normal for a Dojo not to allow head shots... there is a lot of damage you could do if you hit the person wrong.
Posted by: Subedei

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/19/06 09:14 PM

Poor Bin, getting [censored].
Posted by: Ozzie_TKD_ITF

Re: No head contact in my dojang? - 01/20/06 03:37 PM

I wasted several years training in dojangs where sparring was not realistic enough. Fortunately, many years ago I found a very serious one, and it was a whole different ball game. There is control, but when you were hit, it hurts.

So answering the original question: you cannot learn to fight without knowing how it feels to have someone trying his best to hit you in the face.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class."
- Choi Hong Hi, Founder of Tae kwon-Do

Cheers,
Ozzie