Your Favorite Form?

Posted by: SaBumNim

Your Favorite Form? - 12/05/05 10:15 PM

I was reading another thread and saw this idea, so I decided to borrow it (thanks blascun2k).

I practice the Ch'ang Hon style (ITF) and I only know one WTF form (Koryo), which I had to learn to compete in AAU and USTU events in the 80s, so my experience is limited to the Ch'ang Hon forms.

My favorite has to be Choong Jang (2nd Dan), the eye gouges and drop turning kick were so diferent than anything else I had done up to that point, it was really fun to learn and practice. I also used to compete in a lot of open karate tournaments and Choong Jang was the only traditional Korean form that seemed to fit in with that style of competition.
My next favorite is Ul-Ji (4th Dan). It too is very different from the other traditional Ch'ang Hon forms. It has lot of uniqe movements, like jump back kicks and arm breaks, and It covers a lot of ground.

However, I think that the most important or significant form in the Ch'ang Hon style is Do-San (yellow belt). This is the first time a student will learn to punch without stepping forward. This means that they will have to learn to use hip tourque and body action to generate power in their punch. I believe this is the basic notion behind TKD. It's relatively simple to generate a powerful punch if you step into it, but quite different if your feet do not move. This is without a doubt my favorite pattern to teach. When a student finally grasps the idea of body rotation and hip torque their eyes get wide as the light goes on. It's a great thing to see.

Anyway, sorry this is so long and I appologize for being limited to only one style (other than one form). Please, share your thoughts.

SaBum Nim
Posted by: Christie

Re: Your Favorite Form? - 12/05/05 10:26 PM

Up to this point my favourite form is Chong (Chung?) Bong 4.

After various internet searches I have never actually come across any reference to the Chong/Chung Bong series of forms being used anywhere else however I thoroughly enjoy all the Chong/Chung Bong forms (up to 4, haven't learnt 5, 6 or 7 as of yet) as they have the most practical applications I have yet to see in a form. I enjoy practicing them because of their fluidity.

The fourth one is my favourite because it incorporates the most variety in techniques of all the forms I know (Kee-Cho Il-Bu, Dan-Gun, Chong/Chung Bong 1-4, Taegeuk Il Jang - Sah Jang). I love going through this form because of how well everything just flows together and I thoroughly enjoy the range of motion.
Posted by: onb

Re: Your Favorite Form? - 12/06/05 09:23 AM

I think this really depends on the time... Right now, since I just tested last week for my green belt, my favourite pattern is Won-Hyo, the one I'm about to learn. I've been doing the others for too long now and am really excited to learn a new pattern. Besides, when I watch others doing it, it looks cool.

For right now, of the ones that I know, I think that Do-San is my favourite. I like this one because it incorporates kicks, combo punches, and the spacing gives me trouble some times. That is, I don't end up exacly in the same spot as I was in before. This gives me more to work on and try to improve.

But really... my favourite is the one I'm about to learn. There are so many patterns in front of me that I have lots of new favourites to look forward to.

onb
Posted by: trevek

Re: Your Favorite Form? - 12/06/05 05:02 PM

Jhoon gun, but I can't really say why. Something about the opening moves really got me.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Your Favorite Form? - 12/06/05 09:43 PM

Quote:

I was reading another thread and saw this idea, so I decided to borrow it (thanks blascun2k).

I practice the Ch'ang Hon style (ITF) and I only know one WTF form (Koryo), which I had to learn to compete in AAU and USTU events in the 80s, so my experience is limited to the Ch'ang Hon forms.

My favorite has to be Choong Jang (2nd Dan), the eye gouges and drop turning kick were so diferent than anything else I had done up to that point, it was really fun to learn and practice. I also used to compete in a lot of open karate tournaments and Choong Jang was the only traditional Korean form that seemed to fit in with that style of competition.
My next favorite is Ul-Ji (4th Dan). It too is very different from the other traditional Ch'ang Hon forms. It has lot of uniqe movements, like jump back kicks and arm breaks, and It covers a lot of ground.

However, I think that the most important or significant form in the Ch'ang Hon style is Do-San (yellow belt). This is the first time a student will learn to punch without stepping forward. This means that they will have to learn to use hip tourque and body action to generate power in their punch. I believe this is the basic notion behind TKD. It's relatively simple to generate a powerful punch if you step into it, but quite different if your feet do not move. This is without a doubt my favorite pattern to teach. When a student finally grasps the idea of body rotation and hip torque their eyes get wide as the light goes on. It's a great thing to see.

Anyway, sorry this is so long and I appologize for being limited to only one style (other than one form). Please, share your thoughts.

SaBum Nim

I too am a member of the AAU and it is not a must to know any particular orgs patterns. You can do ITF, WTF,& MDK. the WTF patterns would have to be used in the former USTU tourney's as stated. I too like Choong Jang, but I also like Choong Gun for the varying stances. Toi Gye also has a special place for me as well. The one I like to do that is unique is Ko-Dang. It was replaced by Juche in the ITF (which is a verrrry difficult form by the way and extremely physically challenging), but I do not like what it represents. As far as the hip torque, that was replaced by the sine wave. It's still there, but not as exaggerated as the up/down movement has become the prominent movement for generating the power in the Cha'ng Hon style.

VDJ

My favorite WTF pattern is Koryo. IMO, All the rest are ugly
!
Posted by: JoKyoChick

Re: Your Favorite Form? - 12/06/05 10:29 PM

At this time I would have to say my favorite pattern is Joong-Gun. I like the combination of moves and it really makes you think about what stances you are in. I say "at this time" because I'm only a green belt and I have so many patterns yet to learn. I am looking forward to learing Toi-Gye in a few weeks.

Re: Your Favorite Form? - 12/06/05 10:58 PM

I too am a member of the AAU and it is not a must to know any particular orgs patterns. You can do ITF, WTF,& MDK. the WTF patterns would have to be used in the former USTU tourney's as stated. I too like Choong Jang, but I also like Choong Gun for the varying stances. Toi Gye also has a special place for me as well. The one I like to do that is unique is Ko-Dang. It was replaced by Juche in the ITF (which is a verrrry difficult form by the way and extremely physically challenging), but I do not like what it represents. As far as the hip torque, that was replaced by the sine wave. It's still there, but not as exaggerated as the up/down movement has become the prominent movement for generating the power in the Cha'ng Hon style.

VDJ

!

VDJ,

Thanks for the reply. Back in the mid 80s we were forced to compete in forms (WTF only) even if we only wanted to compete in sparring. So all the ITF guys would learn Koryo get up, do it, take last place, and get ready to spar. It was easy to pick us out in forms, we looked so diferent; but we did pretty well in sparring. One of my master instructors was on the '88 Olympic team, and I won a national championship in '86. It's nice that you can do your own forms now.

I also agree with your assessment of Juche. I don't know it (my school still uses Ko-Dang which I like as well), but I have seen it done. The kicks look very challenging. What do you mean when you say you don't like what it represents?

As for the sine wave, we use very little in our forms. Not like some of the ITF shools I have seen. But we use alot of hip rotation. Our Kwan Jang Nim wants everthing to be as natural as possible in everything we do.

SaBum Nim
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Your Favorite Form? - 12/07/05 07:45 AM

Quote:

VDJ

!

VDJ,

Thanks for the reply. Back in the mid 80s we were forced to compete in forms (WTF only) even if we only wanted to compete in sparring. So all the ITF guys would learn Koryo get up, do it, take last place, and get ready to spar. It was easy to pick us out in forms, we looked so diferent; but we did pretty well in sparring. One of my master instructors was on the '88 Olympic team, and I won a national championship in '86. It's nice that you can do your own forms now.

I also agree with your assessment of Juche. I don't know it (my school still uses Ko-Dang which I like as well), but I have seen it done. The kicks look very challenging. What do you mean when you say you don't like what it represents?

As for the sine wave, we use very little in our forms. Not like some of the ITF shools I have seen. But we use alot of hip rotation. Our Kwan Jang Nim wants everthing to be as natural as possible in everything we do.

SaBum Nim

SaBum Nim,

Please read my post again. I said that it was the USTU tourney's that would only allow the WTF patterns, I believe AAU always recognized ITF, WTF & MDK. My instructor is a 12 time AAU National champion in both sparring and forms and always performed Chang Hon patterns at the tourney's. She too was on the circuit in the mid 80's to early 90's and at Olympic team trials (back with Herb Perez) only to lose her spot due to injury. There's a good chance our instructors may know each other, if you like, e-mail me privatley to discuss this later.

As for Juche, IMO, this is the pattern that brought politics into TKD. Although it is well known that the S.Korean Gov't was not happy with Gen. Choi when he decided to bring TKD to the North, it is of my understanding that the the N. Korean Gov't requetsed that a pattern be developed that represented their belief in that Man is master of ALL domains (IMO, that means not believing in God).The General then created Juche and gave it that meaning. I think the General's passion for TKD and his eagerness to spread it EVERYWHERE in the world clouded his judgment in this regard, therefore ITF TKD has been dubbed
"N. Korean TKD", which I also believe to be a silly statement.

TK
VDJ

Re: Your Favorite Form? - 12/07/05 07:36 PM

VDJ,

I'm sorry, I was also referring to the USTU events and the mandatory forms. I was not very clear in separating the AAU and the USTU, once again I apologize.

I see what you mean about Juche, I remember reading that meaning before and thinking it was rather odd.

SaBum Nim