demonstration tips

Posted by: zapper

demonstration tips - 12/05/05 09:16 AM

i'm currently practicing the flying or jumping side kick for demonstrations. i want to be able to do it till i can jump over like 5 or 6 people. however just jumping over 2 people now seems like my limit.jumping over 10 people in professional demonstraions seems impossible. can anyone give me some tips or practice methods to be able to do so. don't tell me to ask my instructor cos i want to learn this by myself.
Posted by: DaDoN_1

Re: demonstration tips - 12/05/05 05:38 PM

build ur legs??
Posted by: Underground

Re: demonstration tips - 12/05/05 07:35 PM

Quote:

i'm currently practicing the flying or jumping side kick for demonstrations. i want to be able to do it till i can jump over like 5 or 6 people. however just jumping over 2 people now seems like my limit.jumping over 10 people in professional demonstraions seems impossible. can anyone give me some tips or practice methods to be able to do so. don't tell me to ask my instructor cos i want to learn this by myself.

I have heard some good stuff about this book:
Explosive Power and Jumping Ability for All Sports: Atlas of Exercises

Here it is on Barnes and Noble website:
click

I have been thinking about this one myself.

I will let others chime in and maybe we can get some other input on this subject.
Posted by: TaeKwonMiles

Re: demonstration tips - 12/05/05 09:24 PM

Jump:
Jump squats. Assume your fighting position and jump in the hair as high as you can, switch stance while in the air, come down onto the balls of you feet and squat down really low and repeat.
Do knee ups but do them while jumping. Jump up and pull your knees to your chest. come down, bounce once and repeat.

Speed:
Do some resistance training with your legs if you have any equipment for it. If not then build up your speeed. Do lunges, sprints repeately, etc...
It also helps to be light weight. My friend weighs 130 lbs with no fat and he can fly 6-7 feet in the air. So burn off your body fat.
Last thing you will need is some distance to run to get your momentum going but remember you dont want to go flying through the board (only 2 inches is need). You have to be able to break it and land in a good fighting stance w/o crashing into your holder(s).
Posted by: TKD_kid

Re: demonstration tips - 12/16/05 03:47 AM

it all takes time...it takes a while to get it right now i can "jump" 7 people but i can only do a flying sid ekick over 6...i say stregthen up your legs squats and stuff also at my TKD club sometimes we set up a rope at a certain height and try to jump over it..when we do it we start off low and work our way up and we do the same thing length wise..it sure helped me (FYI im a 13 year old girl..if i can do it you can too)
Posted by: PopTartRipdApart

Re: demonstration tips - 12/20/05 03:08 AM

Quote:

if you dontmind me asking what belt rank are you and how tall are you ?
Posted by: zapper

Re: demonstration tips - 12/20/05 05:47 AM

im a green belt...im 173cm which is about 5''9 i think
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: demonstration tips - 12/21/05 07:20 PM

Just keep practising. It is a pretty cool demo to be able to do that. If it was me, I would first practice on a heavy bag and then practice in the air. then over the kids.

Just make sure you don't try more kids than you can handle, that could be a disaster.

have fun
matt