Too much training?

Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Too much training? - 10/17/05 10:07 AM

This past summer My TKD classes were reduced to 3 times a week rather than the usuall 5 days a week classes. So to use this extra time in the summer I took up weight lifting and worked at it heavily and continue to do so, and still only go to TKD 2 times a week.
What I notice now however is my skill is progressing alot more with fewer sessions than it did when doing ot almost daily. I surprise myself every time I go to class finding I can execute a kick or set of combos more efficiently than I could when practicing them constantly...Especially sparring. I go even longer periods of time without sparring, and havnt sparred in over a month due to a concussion about that long ago. But when I do spar it seems I go into it with a fresh new mindset and have greatly improved since the last time.I can react better and counter efficiently.
Now while not exactly being a bad thing...I dont understand it. I dont think i'm just perceiving this as great leaps in improvement because I know how long things took to grasp when doing it daily...mayby I'm just at a point where things are coming together more clearly.One thing I know for sure though...nights that i'm just worn out I shouldnt be at class. I dont learn anything, I dont retain anything, and i'm just a hell of a lot more run down than I was before I started it.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Too much training? - 10/17/05 10:19 AM

I'll be honest, now I train once a week for 1 1/2 hours. Primarily because that's all I can afford. However at most in the past, I was training 6 hours a week in three 2 hour sessions. I think I've turned out all right.

I've seen hundreds of my peers and the students I helped to train burn out because they were over-stressed and couldn't take it anymore. This is not the way to go. All things are best in moderation.

If you are uncomfortable with how often you train, be it too much or too little, talk to your instructor and work something out. Perhaps, even if you're on a contract, you can manage to get a discount for the days you don't train.

Edit: I see on a second reading of your post that you've realised the same thing I did. It's got a lot to do with the way the mind works.

There is a story which goes: A student asks his Sensei how long it will take him to earn a black belt, if he studies twice a week. His master explains that it will take him five years. He then asks his Sensei how long it will take if he trains three times a week. His Sensei replies that it will take him eight years. Astonished the student asks him what if he trains every hour of every day. The Sensei replies that it is unfortunate that he will never earn his black belt. When the student asks why, he replies "because if you train so much, you will not have time to learn anything".

Now this story is extreme but it has a basis in reality from what I understand.

It is my understanding that the brain learns by creating neural pathways for information to pass along. This only occurs however, when you are at rest and sleeping. Therefore, the less you sleep and relax, the less effective your memory retention is. This is why overworking and cramming for exams is unhealthy and counter productive.

This is the primary reason why I say that just because someone trains every hour of every day for a year, they shouldn't be able to earn a black belt. These things take time, like it or not.

Re: Too much training? - 10/17/05 12:30 PM

Wow...I really like that story. Ive also heard/seen things on what you say about how your mind retains information when you rest.I'm pretty comfortable with my routine right now....however I wish I could cram Judo into there but it wouldnt mesh well with a 2 years old and a girlfriend. Sigh..not enough hours in a day I guess.
Posted by: Taekwondo_kid

Re: Too much training? - 10/17/05 02:15 PM

at my dojo i train 3 times a week, paying 55 dollors. each training is 2 hours long. if your feeling that your not learning anything, or all they do are doing excercises, then switch dojos. thats the best choice.
Posted by: ikklehen

Re: Too much training? - 10/18/05 11:22 AM

Wow!

If it feels good to you, carry on. Maybe you are letting all your other energies recuperate a little bit more between TKD training. Like your reaction forces and mental/physical energies. I'm sure there is a scientific way to explain it but cross training and rest can do wonders. I say go with your flow. Walk don't run so you can see all the flowers and trees. If you run, you have more chance of tripping up and landing in a dog poo. My philosophy is bizarre isn't it! LOL
xxx

Re: Too much training? - 10/18/05 02:34 PM

LoL...it gets the point across
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Too much training? - 11/13/05 02:18 AM

Your experience with training less often is pretty typical. To often, we assume more is better. In fact, this is not true in any sport or physical activity.

All of us only have so much energy. Traning every day (or nearly every day) will eventually burn anyone out. Breaking up TKD training with weight training or other activity will help your TKD enormously.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Too much training? - 11/13/05 07:53 AM

I think you should do whatever suits you. I find training 3-4 times a week suits me best, but everyone is different.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Too much training? - 11/13/05 10:49 AM

If you spend a whole night studying, the next day you might not remember anything. However, a day later you might realise you do.

I reckon its the same with the body, you need time to let the body digest things.

If you train five times a week repeating bad technique, or you train twice a week and you have time to think about the technique and let your body think about it, which is likely to be better?