Thoughts on ATA schools?

Posted by: voodooatl

Thoughts on ATA schools? - 10/09/05 09:39 PM

I was thinking about trying some TKD and there is a ATA school near me. I have not had the time to drop in yet, but I recall some less then positive comments about ATA a number of years ago.

I don't want to start a flame war, but can I get some honest opinions on them.

Thanks
Posted by: TKDFighter89

Re: Thoughts on ATA schools? - 10/09/05 10:08 PM

The two major organizations are WTF and ITF. People say ITF is better because it's more "street effective". It's just not true. However, I too have heard negative things about ATA. They claim their style of TKD - Songahm - is better than others and more "street effective". I am skeptical of this organization as their competitions are held within the ATA only. They do not invite WTF or ITF competitors. I have also heard about manyATA McDojangs. That doesn't come as a surprise since they have thousands and thousands of dojangs nationwide. It's a chain. Like McDonalds. Sound familiar? I am not ptuting down ATA at all. I 'm just sketpical. There may be good ATA dojos. But a lot of them are going to be bad ones too.
Posted by: mrjata

Re: Thoughts on ATA schools? - 10/09/05 11:42 PM

I am familiar with ATA schools and Songahm style. Their style is standardized all over the world. If you move to another town/country, just look up an ATA (Songahm abroad), and all of your certifications will transfer. They teach the same forms and have the same rank system and expectations. Songahm forms are very challenging!! In the third form, you start doing jump front kicks and they get more compilcated with ranks.

Their tournaments are closed, that is correct. But go watch!!

I see noting wrong with ATA. I am a fond believer in martial arts, PERIOD. Find a style you like and go for it!! I have studied 5 different styles. Watch many classes, ask to participate in them as well. Take the whole family, you all will benefit.

mrjata@hotmail.com
Posted by: whitetiger

Re: Thoughts on ATA schools? - 10/10/05 12:18 AM

This is the first time I have heard of ATA. What is the difference? Just curious and wanted some info on it. Thanks.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Thoughts on ATA schools? - 10/10/05 02:02 AM

Voo,

Do a search on the ATA in this forum, you might find some comments less desirable than others. However, you might find it interesting, if nothing else.

-B
Posted by: voodooatl

Re: Thoughts on ATA schools? - 10/10/05 09:19 AM

So their comps are closed, and I know the froms are closed. Does this limit you to only ATA comps?

If I wanted to spar in an open comp I can't see any issues with this, unless the comp has something against ATA

Am I missing something or does this makes sense
Posted by: skeeterzirra

Re: Thoughts on ATA schools? - 10/10/05 09:20 AM

There is one ATA school in my town. It is not the best IMO. However, schools will differ vastly depending on instructors. I have also seen poor ITF schools. There are no WTF schools in my area, but I would be suprised if vagaries of instruction and human nature would suddenly be suspended because of an organizational affiliation. There are many stellar instructors out there. Look for that.
Posted by: CatnPhx

Re: Thoughts on ATA schools? - 10/10/05 03:26 PM

Quote:

So their comps are closed, and I know the froms are closed. Does this limit you to only ATA comps?

If I wanted to spar in an open comp I can't see any issues with this, unless the comp has something against ATA

Am I missing something or does this makes sense

Yes, the comps are closed but you can participate in open competitions too.

There are so many ATA schools throughout the country that it would be foolish to consider them all bad. In Phx, I've seen several very good ones and some really stinky ones ... it just depends on the owner/instructors of the individual school.

Things that I've noticed in ATA (not an all inclusive list):

Pro
* Some schools have good weapons focus
* Many include a small amount of ground fighting techniques (usually blackbelt and above)
* Many locations throughout country
* Family and kid oriented. Kids can benefit from their program if they put in the effort. Adults can learn too.

Con
* Prices tend to be a little high, especially for the full-blown programs.
* Some schools focus too much on the $$ and not on the student
* Some schools pass students to next rank before they are ready

Again, every school is different. Most of the con's are going to do with $$ but I'd say give it a look and make your own judgements. These are just my opinions. Good luck.