Karate and TKD

Posted by: Taison

Karate and TKD - 09/28/05 08:33 AM

Okey, this may be an annoying question for some, but I'm having this question that keeps bugging me all the time.

From what I've read TKD has a lot of techniques that are similar to Karate, so much that in my eyes, I'm unable to distinguish the two arts.

Now, what I wanted to know [in detail plz] what are the difference between the two art? From what I've seen is that both uses chambering, snap kicks, and knife hands and feet so I'm wondering where is the line that says "This is not Karate but it's TKD".

Let's say, one day this guy goes on stage and starts performing some kicks and punches, not wearing a gi or kobox[sp?] how do I know which art he's using?

Thanks if you are able to help me

-Taison out
Posted by: oldman

Re: Karate and TKD - 09/28/05 08:47 AM

Taison,
It's even a little more complex than that. First there is the question of which style of karate and which style of TKD. It's like wine tasting. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between a 1955 Shotokan and a 1998 WTF. It's harder to tell the difference between a '59 shotokan and a 61 Chung do Kwan.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Karate and TKD - 09/28/05 02:50 PM

Only you could come up with an analogy like that...
Posted by: oldman

Re: Karate and TKD - 09/28/05 02:54 PM

I think Butterfly could have. But he could have told you the wines.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Karate and TKD - 09/28/05 03:39 PM

The major difference in Karate and TKD is theory and extended technique behind the theroy. Karate stresses hands some so much so that some are 80%h and 20%feet others are 60/40.

Some Korean arts like Tang-soo-do are 60%legs and 40% hands most TKD system are 80-70% legs and 20-30% hands. Karate stress kicking low and kicking up under high kicks. In TKD this is illegal. Karate spar using sweeps and throws in TKD events this illegal although they do teach them, in their self defense. Also Karate has limited ground fighting U are allowed 2 second after a takedown to strike or kick and it can be scored. In TKD this is illegal. In Olympic style TKD blows to the head are illegal, and the body strikes rarely counted. In Karate blows to the head or anywhere in front of the body from grion up to top of head is common and called points. In Goju Karate you can grab and score or push and score, even to the grion.

Karate kicks can be shorter and done at closer range, they maybe snappier. TKD kicks are fully extended using all of the hip or bodies extention therefore more powerful but take time to retract (they seem to deliever as fast or faster).

TKD strength is its strong kicks, combination and stamina it takes to continously sparring, air and standing.

Its weakness lack of respect for its strong punches, sweeps/throws/ takedowns and fight like you train. You could never win with just hands. Not striking the back except in self defense. I witness a Hapkido seminar skipping side kick to the middle of the back, talk about Chiropractictor, NICEEEE!!!!

Karate strength is that its aim is functionable striking using any weapon (almost) and mode of attack, air, standing and ground. A hand or kick blow can and will knock you down to the body, if it doesn't it still scores. You can win with just hands, you can also grab-hit and push-hit in Karate.

Lack of continous sparring and so it lacks reality and fitness at times. Some system have both. Not striking the areas of the back (for saftey)though its taught in self defense.

I remember crictiing my exs' son spining back kicks hooks and thrust, I made mention that he should get the kicking leg back down as fast as possible. He stated that he was taught that to follow through on all kicks (He's 2nd gup Olympic style, weather you misss or not). I informed him the longer his legs in the air the easier and more chance there is to kick, strike the grion or leg and takedown. He said he was not concern with that because its illegal in their fighting. In their system a held high meant stay back because another kicks is coming????

Like I told him everybody don't fight by their rules, evenutally he will grow outside the realms of sport competitions.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Karate and TKD - 09/28/05 04:29 PM

Neko ... you are painting all TKD and all Karate with the same brush and have done no service to either.

Taison ... if you want to know the differences do some homework. Visit different schools of each and talk to those people. Also realize that each has their own take on their art. There are just as many different TKD schools ast there are Karate ... and for that matter Muay Thai, BJJ, JJJ, etc.

STOP PAINTING AN ART WITH THE SAME NAME WITH THE SAME BRUSH.

Neko is basing his take on TKD with sport TDK. He should have also clarified that head shots are illegal with the hands but not with the feet.

And to say the TKD doesn't use short kicks at close range ... blasphemy. And all of my kicks and other TKD'ist are not fully extended. Low kicks are taught as well but again you are confusing sport TKD with TKD ... and not all WTF organization emphasize sport TKD.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Karate and TKD - 09/28/05 05:31 PM

Just general differences not painting anybody anyway. I stated that some train differently. I have a Black Belt Tang-soo-do so I know its an effective system, but I have doubt if Olympic TKD is practical in the street. Thats just me Knockouts to the head or body with a kick or not, but really how often does that happen.

I was hoping that I didn't slight either, close kicks inside what an axe kick??? or Jumping turn away back kick great if you are a young man with plenty of room and time.

I know I use to could stand at the bathroom urual and do that Jumping turn away defensive back kick and flush the stool. Standing 12-18" away. But really how practical is that?????

It a sea out here.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Karate and TKD - 09/28/05 06:20 PM

Quote:

I know I use to could stand at the bathroom urual and do that Jumping turn away defensive back kick and flush the stool. Standing 12-18" away. But really how practical is that?????

We train for a lot of close distance fighting both self defense and sparring. One I may describe it differently but this sounds the same. In close distanct you spin while at the same time your back foot plants and your front foot becomes your kicking foot. Very useful ... but mostly for sparring purposes. Have kicked people both in the groin, chest protector and in the face with this one. Groin because they didn't move far enough back and I didn't allow as much room ... knocked them down for the count. This would actual work in self defense ... but only at the right time. The face because they stepped back giving me ample room to bring it up. I love this one. Fast and can be devasting. And yes I'm young so it works ... I'm 37.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Karate and TKD - 09/29/05 03:21 AM

Personally I think the main difference between karate and TKD, apart from the leg thing, is that they have different names.